2011 NBA Draft

GamerGuy

Getting him, whether you are going to flip him somewhere else or hope he can beat out Dragic for the backup PG spot, is still a better asset than the 23rd pick in a shitty draft as far as I am concerned. Brad Miller is a non-factor so really, as far as I am concerned, this trade was Motiejunas and Flynn for a future pick in terms of actual assets. I imagine the future pick is going to have some form of protection on it as well as I don't see Morey giving up an unprotected 1st, so it is unlikely that the pick will end up costing you a top 5 selection or anything like that.

I just don't see why you think it is a steep price. Either way, the Rockets got the guy they wanted in the end so I'm sure they, just like you, are very happy with the trade.

I meant in terms of moving up 3 spots it was a steep price. On top of moving the 23rd pick + 38th (wasn't aware of it at the time but we did get this pick right back), we gave up a first that could end up being higher than the 20th pick and will certainly be in a deeper draft. I'm a believer in Flynn but he doesn't make the deal all that much better. Doesn't matter now though.

The first we traded btw was the one we received from the Grizzlies (2013 lottery protected).

Some good info from Clutch right after the draft:

Rockets had discussions with teams holding picks in the range 2-6 and the player they would have selected would have been Jonas Valanciunas. Yes they would have taken him over Derrick Williams and Kanter.

Also said that the Rockets were close to acquiring Andris Biedrins from the Warriors. Said details should be in the Chronicle tomorrow morning. I think we dodged a bullet there.

Rockets love Motiejunas. Apparently very happy that they could get Parsons too.

Nikola Vucevic was a pretty average pick, but what do you expect with the 16th pick in a weak draft.

Don't think he'll be anything special, but I think at least he'll be better than Spencer Hawes. Doug seems to love him and his character and personality fits in with the type of team we're trying to build plus he has great his size and a nice jumper for a big man and can score in the post.....as long as he lives up to his supposed work ethic and continues to improve (which he has done ALOT over the past few years) then I think he'll be ok, but he might stuggle at first because of his complete lack of athleticism, but his size should help to make up for that while playing center.

Shumpert looks like a nice pick for the Knicks. Although there were other guys they could've went with like Faried, who in hindsight may really regret, Shumpert looks like he'll be a very good role player.

I was very happy to get Nolan Smith on the team. Very nice pick up for us. I'll be paying attention to Washington for Jan Vaseley (or however you spell the kids name) as I think he'll be a decent player. I do think, for some reason, that Bismack Biyombo (or whoever) is gonna be a bust. I just see Saer Sene, Cheik Samb all over again, hah hah.