General Hockey Thread 2011-2012

Built Ford Tough

Watching Kessel and Lombardi fly up and down the ice should be fun. My main hope is that Lombardi can be a solid 3rd liner for us, and play 65 games or so, his health is my primary concern.

Clarke is having his hearing today for the hit last night vs the Wings. My expectation is tonight's game and 2 regular season games. I'd like to see the Wings player get a game for diving though. There was definitely some head contact and the hit is for sure reviewable, but he definitely oversold it. I can definitely see players flopping becoming a concern, incidental contact to the head seems like it is going to be 2-3 games, and players will sell that shit. It is going to be interesting to see what happens when Ovechkin throws his first hit to the head, is he going to get the games everyone else is?

EDIT: sounds like it is going to be 2 regular season games. So annoying.

Edited by Check my Stats

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_759827.html

Sick Malkin article. Has me pumped for Thursday and I am far from a Pens fan. Seems more and more ECN might be right that Malkin is going to take over this year, he has always had "best player in the league" type talent, but never really took it to that level consistently. Seems like he is maturing as a player, exciting stuff for Pittsburgh, excited to see him play this year.

Also, this headshot shit is getting ridiculous, players carrying the puck have no accountability anymore. Taylor Hall skates into the corner out of control and skates right into Edler's elbow, and Edler is probably going to get a small suspension for it. Puck carriers have no accountability anymore, and it is infuriating. Keep your God damn head up and you won't get smashed.

Edited by Check my Stats

Some roster news from today.

Chicago signed Ray Emery to a 1 year contract.

The Panthers sent 3rd overall pick Johnathan Huberdeau back to St. John despite him leading the team in goals (3) and being tied for points (4) during the preseason.

Jets signed Mark Scheifele to an entry level contract after tallying 8 points in 5 exhibition games.

Adam Larsson is expected to make the Devils roster and Petr Sykora is still in the mix for a roster spot.

Detroit signed Fabian Brunnstrom.

These Brendan Shanahan videos are seriously awesome. The one about the non-suspension for Malone is my favorite yet. Really cool that he takes the time to make these.

Edited by Phightins

TSN released their power rankings.

http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/rankings/nhl/

Top 5 was:

Boston

Chicago

San Jose

Philadelphia

Vancouver

Nashville sent Ryan Ellis to Milwaukee also. Not a big surprise considering Nashville's approach to developing their d-men (both Suter and Weber spent a year in the A) and the fact that he had an underwhelming camp, but I thought it was worth posting anyways.

Edited by The Great BFT

TSN released their power rankings.

http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/rankings/nhl/

Top 5 was:

Boston

Chicago

San Jose

Philadelphia

Vancouver

Nashville sent Ryan Ellis to Milwaukee also. Not a big surprise considering Nashville's approach to developing their d-men (both Suter and Weber spent a year in the A) and the fact that he had an underwhelming camp, but I thought it was worth posting anyways.

Do most Canadians dislike TSN? I feel like a lot of people don't like TSN much anymore.

I'm surprised Washington and Pittsburgh aren't in the top five, regardless of Crosby's condition.

Also, if Edmonton does finish 28th, they should be embarrassed. However, if they get Yakupov or one of the elite talents.........

Edited by EastCoastNiner

Do most Canadians dislike TSN? I feel like a lot of people don't like TSN much anymore.

I'm surprised Washington and Pittsburgh aren't in the top five, regardless of Crosby's condition.

Also, if Edmonton does finish 28th, they should be embarrassed. However, if they get Yakupov or one of the elite talents.........

Depends on who you are talking about when it comes to TSN. They have the best in the business in McKenzie and Dreger is excellent as well, although not up to Bob's standards.

They have some good writers as well, but they also have a lot of blowhards.

I'd still talk TSN over any other major media outlet when it comes to hockey, though.

Blah, just start the game already....this is making me vomit.

(In reference to the shit in Boston right now).

Okay this is ridiculous. Does every single executive need to speak? The teams finished warmups 35 minutes ago and the game is nowhere close to starting.

I actually think the Canucks are going to get off to a pretty slow start this season. The loss of Kesler is going to be huge as that pretty much eliminates all of their secondary scoring. Unless the Sedins play absolutely brilliantly, I don't see them coming out of the gates all that strong.

With that said, I still think that they are the best overall team in the West and would be my pick to come out of the West if I had to make one right now.

Luongo is starting off shaky as well. The first goal was awful and the second one he let in wasn't that difficult either.

I actually think the Canucks are going to get off to a pretty slow start this season. The loss of Kesler is going to be huge as that pretty much eliminates all of their secondary scoring. Unless the Sedins play absolutely brilliantly, I don't see them coming out of the gates all that strong.

With that said, I still think that they are the best overall team in the West and would be my pick to come out of the West if I had to make one right now.

Luongo is starting off shaky as well. The first goal was awful and the second one he let in wasn't that difficult either.

Me too, I said it on here somewhere.

Luongo [expletive]ing blows, but CBC announcing blows even more. Mark Lee is almost unwatchable.