General Hockey Thread 2011-2012

Built Ford Tough

I have a hard time seeing the NHL even happening next year by the looks of where the owners stand compared to the players. Some of their requests will be laughed at as they are aiming to make players have seven years of service before becoming a free agent and rookie contracts move up to five years.

Gotta love the timing of this Weber offer sheet.

- Owners make a new CBA proposal with a key component being a maximum of 5 year contracts.

- Less than 48 hours Weber is offered a 14 year deal.

:lol:

Well, not all teams are owned by cable giant multi-bajillionaires. But yes, the timing is pretty funny. I am sure there are a decent amount of owners who are very angry with us right now.

• 3 weeks later...

I would be absolutely shocked if the entire season was cancelled. It would be devastating for the league. But it is sounding more and more like we might get a late start on the season, which would suck, but it would make sense. Unlike 8 years ago, there is no reason to lock out. It will be interesting to see the counter proposal by the players association. I think that will give us a better view on the situation, if both sides are actually ready to negotiate or not.

I hope they get a term limit on contracts sorted out though. If that is all that comes of the new CBA, i would be ecstatic. Wouldn't mind seeing something similar to bird rights, where the re-signing team can offer 1-2 years more than offering teams can. Would be helpful for small markets I think (think Nashville).

But yeah, once the revenue situation gets sorted out, which will probably wind up being a 50-50 split or close to it, I think it will be pretty much smooth sailing from that point. I don't think there is really a whole lot else that is an issue in the CBA (owners are [expletive]ed if they think players will agree to being restricted until 30 years old or whatever it is.. thats just nuts).

Edited by Check my Stats

• 2 weeks later...

Supposedly Buffalo has offered Shane Doan a 4 year, $30M contract.

That is absolutely absurd.

EDIT: Also, Taylor Hall signed a 7 year, $42M extension with the Oilers.

The owners really aren't doing themselves any favours during these negotations. They talk about how they want a maximum of 5 year contracts, yet during these negotations we have seen Weber signed to a 14 year deal, Hartnell signed to a 6 year deal and now Hall signed to a 7 year deal. It sure looks great on the owners.

Supposedly Buffalo has offered Shane Doan a 4 year, $30M contract.

That is absolutely absurd.

EDIT: Also, Taylor Hall signed a 7 year, $42M extension with the Oilers.

The owners really aren't doing themselves any favours during these negotations. They talk about how they want a maximum of 5 year contracts, yet during these negotations we have seen Weber signed to a 14 year deal, Hartnell signed to a 6 year deal and now Hall signed to a 7 year deal. It sure looks great on the owners.

Well, I think it's a small markets vs. big markets thing. There is such a huge gap between the two. Bettman's stance in the negotiations is trying to find ways to help small market teams make money. When you look at those deals you mentioned, two were orchestrated by one of the most profitable American teams, one was a Canadian team, and the other was a team with a new owner trying to impress people by spending ridiculous amounts of money. If Nashville, Phoenix, or Florida had made any of those signings, then something would definitely be fishy. I am sure Paul Holmgren and Ed Snider are currently despised by at least 75% of the owners in these negotiations, haha.

Edited by Phightins

I definitely agree with you that it is big market vs. small market.

The thing is that these types of contracts being handed out in the middle of negotiations just show that there is a pretty big division amongst the owners and that is just awful when going through these types of negotiations. If the owners are divided amongst themselves that gives the PA so much leverage and negotiating power.

It just makes the owners look bad if you ask me.

Not that I really care, although I would like to see contracts capped at 5 years. I absolutely hate these ridiculous 10+ year contracts.

Another shortened season?

With time winding down on NHL season, weekend labour meetings fail to materialize

After the first face-to-face meeting in a week between the NHL and the players’ association, the sides spent a relatively quiet weekend apart as the clock ticks down toward another potential lockout.

With less than a week remaining before the collective bargaining agreement between the league and the players runs out, no new negotiations took place after an informal return to the table Friday.

My link

• 4 weeks later...

http://deadspin.com/5951872/inside-a-secret-nhl-focus-group-how-a-top-gop-strategist-is-helping-hockey-owners-craft-their-lockout-propaganda

This is pretty interesting.

Seriously, [expletive] Bettman. Prior to the last 5 months, I was one of his few supporters. Not anymore. Get the hell out.

On a related note....missin u NHL :(