Connecticut elementary school shooting

Real Deal

This kind of shit just happens more and more often. Really sad. How many people have to die from shit like this before the US government is going to change their gun laws? What a joke. They should be ashamed that so many people, now children keep dieing and they do nothing to make it harder for these [expletive]ed up freaks to get their hands on a bunch of guns.

Just another example how we need far stricter gun laws in this country. We have to try the best we can to keep guns out of the hands of the absolute insane.

The senseless violence must stop.

Stricter laws are really going to keep guns away from criminals, this is something only a liberal could think of.

They can't really do anything about it now...people already own their guns, and you can't exactly take it away from them.

I don't see why they can't make stricter rules. I'll just say I'm glad I live in Canada where it isn't easy for just anyone to get a gun.

And honestly if you wanted to get hold of a gun you would find a way.

That is true. Sad but true.

Stricter laws are really going to keep guns away from criminals, this is something only a liberal could think of.

A ban on assault rifles (which has been initially reported as the weapon used) is certianly something the country needs to look at.

Stricter laws need to happen, but not a complete ban. Plenty of responsible gun owners out there who have every right to own one. But there's plenty of loopholes that need to be closed in some of the laws. No need to get into specifics because you'll disagree with me anyway.

Just another example how we need far stricter gun laws in this country. We have to try the best we can to keep guns out of the hands of the absolute insane.

The senseless violence must stop.

Get off your soap box about gun control. These shootings would still happen whether or not there were stricter gun laws. Criminals get guns because they are criminals. It's probably too late to have any type of gun control. This should be about the innocent children, and not people going on about their gun control views like I'm sure the media will.

I'm not bashing you, but this has little to do with gun control.

• Like 1

A ban on assault rifles (which has been initially reported as the weapon used) is certianly something the country needs to look at.

Stricter laws need to happen, but not a complete ban. Plenty of responsible gun owners out there who have every right to own one. But there's plenty of loopholes that need to be closed in some of the laws. No need to get into specifics because you'll disagree with me anyway.

I like the idea of banned assault rifles. Nobody needs to own an assault rifle

Get off your soap box about gun control. These shootings would still happen whether or not there were stricter gun laws. Criminals get guns because they are criminals. It's probably too late to have any type of gun control. This should be about the innocent children, and not people going on about their gun control views like I'm sure the media will.

I'm not bashing you, but this has little to do with gun control.

There was an attack in China on school children today, 22 attacked with a knife, 0 fatalities.

You may believe that criminals would still get access to guns, but easy access to guns escalates situations without question. SOMETHING needs to be done about guns, it's time to stop denying it.

Here's something I agreed with:

I can walk into a WalMart and buy a shotgun, order some ammo online, go do something terrible with it. It's easy. Maybe it wouldn't make a difference to me if it were less easy, but maybe it would. It would to someone. Not every disturbed kid in highschool that draws pictures of their classmates dying horribly and fantasizes about killing their teacher/parents/everyone eventually tries to do it. Most grow out of it, and most who don't take their hate all the way to the grave without killing anyone along the way. There's a lot of cowardice that comes along with the self-loathing that fuels that kind of hate, as well as a general unfamiliarity with the world and the strangers that fill it.

Legislation won't stop someone with the will and confidence and convictions to take risks and socially ingratiate themselves with the sorts of people that can get them weapons on the black market. For the misanthropes and social mutants and normal people pushed too far, though, that's too many things they don't know how to do and are probably unwilling or unable to learn. Legislating access to all but the most basic and utilitarian firearms wouldn't do much to some sorts of crime (although it would probably save some lives just by dint of there being fewer people around capable of escalating violence in that way) but it would certainly help reduce the incidence of others.

James Holmes , as an example of someone that arguably DID have the will to follow through in the face of unusual obstacles (but was presented with none), came by his guns and ammo legit. He probably had the will to get what he needed by illegal means, but he ordered a lot of that shit online just a few days before he shot up the theater. If there were more hoops to jump through, less legal means that had to be pursued, it would've been a less convenient arming-up. He might have missed the show entirely. People were scared of him, the FBI was aware of him, his counselor from college was frightened and reaching out to law enforcement. With a little more time, all those red flags might've done some good and gotten some actionable attention. Or he might've just chickened out entirely when he realized he couldn't order mil-spec body armor online.

What-ifs are generally bullshit, but tighter legislation would have made planning his massacre more time consuming, expensive, and dangerous.

• Like 3

There was an attack in China on school children today, 22 attacked with a knife, 0 fatalities.

You may believe that criminals would still get access to guns, but easy access to guns escalates situations without question. SOMETHING needs to be done about guns, it's time to stop denying it.

Here's something I agreed with:

It's not the guns that are killing people. If someone knows how to use a knife well, they can kill 22 people if they want too.

If someone wants to kill people, they will. They can make bombs, fires, etc. Are you going to stop them from making a bomb somehow? Are you going to ban and regulate every item that may be used to make a bomb.

Reality check for you and the anti-gun/gun-control nut-jobs. It's too late for "gun control". I'm not sure how else to get it through your head that criminals are criminals because they break the law. They will get their hands on whatever they want. Once you get that through your head, maybe you'll understand.

Oh, and the million dollar question for you. How are you going to have "gun control"? What steps are you going to take?

News flash: It's already too late for gun control.

Just like it was too late for tobacco control before the government pushed them out.

How many 22 man slasher jobs have you seen? Honestly, that's your defense? I love that you say "if someone knows how to use a knife well".. Bruce Lee could have killed 22 people with his hands. But crackjobs who snap and grab a gun are different from those trained with knives and/or martial arts. Right? A guy who snaps isn't going to take years of lessons to learn to use a knife well enough to murder 22, he's going to grab that easy access crowd killer and jump right in.

Yes, someone physically can murder 22 people with a knife. But it's drastically more difficult than using an automatic weapon, and not something a disturbed 20 year old would likely accomplish.. Look at the situation I outlined. He tried to kill 22 people and they're all alive.

You say criminals are criminals.. We aren't talking about Jerome from the hood who knows where to get crack and a glock. We're talking about a socially anxious nutjob.. Does he have the same access to that shit as Jerome? Or did he simply have easy Internet access to the shit he wanted?

I love that "criminals are criminals" stuff.. Easy out for the GOP. Think about it.

Just like it was too late for tobacco control before the government pushed them out.

How many 22 man slasher jobs have you seen? Honestly, that's your defense? I love that you say "if someone knows how to use a knife well".. Bruce Lee could have killed 22 people with his hands. But crackjobs who snap and grab a gun are different from those trained with knives and/or martial arts. Right? A guy who snaps isn't going to take years of lessons to learn to use a knife well enough to murder 22, he's going to grab that easy access crowd killer and jump right in.

Yes, someone physically can murder 22 people with a knife. But it's drastically more difficult than using an automatic weapon, and not something a disturbed 20 year old would likely accomplish.. Look at the situation I outlined. He tried to kill 22 people and they're all alive.

You say criminals are criminals.. We aren't talking about Jerome from the hood who knows where to get crack and a glock. We're talking about a socially anxious nutjob.. Does he have the same access to that shit as Jerome? Or did he simply have easy Internet access to the shit he wanted?

I love that "criminals are criminals" stuff.. Easy out for the GOP. Think about it.

Yes, guns make it easier to kill people. I'm not denying that one bit. However, you have yet to explain how exactly "gun control" will be possible.

The killer from this situation got the guns from his mom that were registered. That has absolutely nothing to do with "nut jobs" being able to go out and buy guns.

No, I'm not someone who is going to play the entire, "Oh, cars kill many people, lets ban them too" type of argument. However, there are many ways to kill mass amounts of people, and if someone wants to do so badly enough, they will.

Also, you're being foolish if you think the "criminals are criminals" stuff is an easy out. Criminals WILL get their hands on what they want, as has been demonstrated time after time.

Again. how exactly are you going to have "gun control" I'd love to know.

• Owner

Point is, it shouldn't take five minutes for anyone to buy a gun and ammo. It shouldn't take a simple online order to land legitimate military gear and weapons.

I don't think guns should be banned, but I also don't think everyone should have access to one so easily.

I read a suggestion that teachers should have guns. Nah. I went to school with kids that went ballistic in classrooms, and that were expelled and sent to a detention center...and that was back when this wasn't so common. Having a gun in every classroom, locked up or not, doesn't sit well with me. An irresponsible teacher, leaving a drawer open, keys on the desk, etc...can unintentionally be responsible for a classroom turning into multiple funerals.

• Like 1

My thoughts EXACTLY. If that kid goes to the hood to buy a gun he's getting robbed, beaten and left in an alley. It's really not easy to get a gun off the streets if you're not connected, trust me.

Edited by Nitro
  • Like 1

Point is, it shouldn't take five minutes for anyone to buy a gun and ammo. It shouldn't take a simple online order to land legitimate military gear and weapons.

I don't think guns should be banned, but I also don't think everyone should have access to one so easily.

I read a suggestion that teachers should have guns. Nah. I went to school with kids that went ballistic in classrooms, and that were expelled and sent to a detention center...and that was back when this wasn't so common. Having a gun in every classroom, locked up or not, doesn't sit well with me. An irresponsible teacher, leaving a drawer open, keys on the desk, etc...can unintentionally be responsible for a classroom turning into multiple funerals.

Yes i agree 100%. No way teachers should have guns, its a disaster waiting to happen.

• Owner

Hey guys if we ban marijuana people won't smoke it, it'll be harder to get illegally

Nah, but if you legalize it, and no sarcasm here, you'll see more people smoking it + those people smoking it more often (not having to worry about drug tests at their job, for instance).

It works that way with most everything, too. As a diabetic, I can't eat much sugar. If my girlfriend goes to the store and buys a ton of cookies and donuts, I'm more than likely going to eat some of them. If she doesn't, I'll probably eat one or two when I'm somewhere else, but if they aren't sitting in my kitchen at 1 AM, I'll be fixing a bowl of cereal instead...not driving to Wal-Mart to get some.

Make guns harder to get. Make it a long process to get a license/permit to buy and shoot. It's not going to stop Lanza from taking his mother's guns (although she may not have them if it takes more effort), but you'll see less of this going on in the long run.

Few talk about this...but when the "Batman shooter" went online and ordered all of his ammo, guns and military gear...he received it within a week, I believe. What if new gun laws make it FAR tougher for him? It takes longer to get things like that, and MAYBE that extra week (or longer) gives a roommate or family member time and reason to get him checked out.

Same with smoking weed. If it was tougher to get, you'd smoke it less. Logically. At one point, you may even stop.

Additionally, guns and ammo would likely become more expensive, the tougher they get.

Don't ban, but things need to change.

• Like 1