MLB Hot Stove

Phightins

I'm surprised they arn't going after Holliday, or Bay.

Well considering we've traded for Granderson, I wouldn't see us going after another OF. Swisher is basically glued in RF and not going anywhere, in all likelihood. Everyone agrees that Granderson is our CF, and that would shift Melky over to LF, which is smart since we haven't had a strong corner OF arm in a while. If Damon does re-sign, I'd expect him to DH and take turns with Melky in left. He could also be used as a pinch-runner or defensive sub in games he doesn't start. So if we do get another major OF, we are limiting the playing time of Melky and/or Damon, two guys who were in the lineup almost everyday last year.

We have Gardner as a sub also, but since we might let go of Hairston and Hinske, we may pick up a backup OF if anything. The Yankees have expressed interest in Mike Cameron, so that's a possibility.

http://www.rotoworld.com/images/photos/MLB/TOR/MLB_Halladay_small.jpg

Phillies 'emerging as favorite' for Halladay

According to SI.com's Tom Verducci, the Phillies "are emerging as the favorite" to land Toronto ace Roy Halladay.

"They've been very aggressive," a baseball source told Verducci. "They're putting together a package, even if they need another team. They're trying to find the players [on other teams] the Blue Jays want to get it done." The Phils weren't forced to surrender an overly abundant amount of talent at July's trade deadline for Cliff Lee and should have enough to get a deal done alone. But perhaps they don't want to completely unload their farm system or have worries about being able to lock up Halladay long-term.

Source w/ Full Article

Some team has got to land this guy soon...

We have Gardner as a sub also, but since we might let go of Hairston and Hinske, we may pick up a backup OF if anything. The Yankees have expressed interest in Mike Cameron, so that's a possibility.

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/mlb/players/65/3323.jpg

Sources: Yankees talking to Damon

The New York Yankees have begun contract negotiations with free agent outfielder Johnny Damon, major league sources tell ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

If the Yankees are unable to re-sign Damon, they are likely to look at free agents Mark DeRosa and Mike Cameron as options for their outfield, sources said.

Source

Wow nice call on Cameron. :D

Edited by bigdog17k

I would love for the Phillies to add Halladay they'd have to give up at least half of their top prospects and they would have trouble resigning werth n cliff lee after halladays extension, sure they'd be pretty dominant but it would hurt them in the future. I'd still rather the Mets get Halladay though.

I would love for the Phillies to add Halladay they'd have to give up at least half of their top prospects and they would have trouble resigning werth n cliff lee after halladays extension, sure they'd be pretty dominant but it would hurt them in the future. I'd still rather the Mets get Halladay though.

Werth is gone one way or the other.

It still bothers me that we let go of Austin Jackson just like that. Everyone was so excited to see him and Jesus Montero come up to the big leagues for us for so long. Fans weren't sure if it was worth giving away Jackson in a Halladay trade, and before it could even happen, we gave him away in a Granderson trade. I mean I love bringing over Granderson, but Jackson was probably our second or third best prospect. He could really end up doing some damage in Detroit.

It still bothers me that we let go of Austin Jackson just like that. Everyone was so excited to see him and Jesus Montero come up to the big leagues for us for so long. Fans weren't sure if it was worth giving away Jackson in a Halladay trade, and before it could even happen, we gave him away in a Granderson trade. I mean I love bringing over Granderson, but Jackson was probably our second or third best prospect. He could really end up doing some damage in Detroit.

Austin Jackson is a solid overall player he can field well has a solid arm can hit .300-.320 steal 10-20 bases hit 10-20 homeruns. From where I see it, I think it's a great deal for the Yankees. Especially considering they don't have a ceiling when it comes to spending money. Jackson, even if he hit full potential still probably wouldn't be as productive as Granderson. That's a big if too. Same thing that happen in 96, 97 once the yankees won a championship they blew their minor leagues up and just started trading for guys and signing them.

White Sox signed JJ Putz.

http://twitter.com/mlbCoz/status/6574642642

--Not a bad deal for the White Sox. I like it a lot.

Mets cut him for a reason, hope it was a good one haha.

Edited by Fish7718

Austin Jackson is a solid overall player he can field well has a solid arm can hit .300-.320 steal 10-20 bases hit 10-20 homeruns. From where I see it, I think it's a great deal for the Yankees. Especially considering they don't have a ceiling when it comes to spending money. Jackson, even if he hit full potential still probably wouldn't be as productive as Granderson. That's a big if too. Same thing that happen in 96, 97 once the yankees won a championship they blew their minor leagues up and just started trading for guys and signing them.

I totally agree with everything you say, but I just can't help but think of the few cases where a team trades a vital prospect away, and the prospect thrives, such as in the Hanley deal.

I totally agree with everything you say, but I just can't help but think of the few cases where a team trades a vital prospect away, and the prospect thrives, such as in the Hanley deal.

Ahh I understand, I see why then. Guys like Scott Kazmir :( . You might also have a smile ear to ear if he turns out to be like delmon young.

Edited by Fish7718

Hm we seem to be the front runners for Jason Bay, guess they don't expect Fernando to contribute for at least another 3-4 years. If we did sign bay would that make F-mart tradable? We would have Bay Beltran Francouer for another 3 years.

Edited by Fish7718

Cards GM: Offer has been extended to Holliday

Cardinals GM John Mozeliak told Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that he has extended a formal offer to free agent Matt Holliday.

The ball is now in agent Scott Boras' court. Financial terms of the offer have not been revealed and may never leak out, but the Cardinals are clearly ready to get the ball rolling in some sort of direction. If they get a "no" from Boras and Holliday, it might be time time for offseason Plan B. "If we can't get something done, there's other ways to skin this one," Mozeliak said.

Source

I bet Red Sox fans are getting nervous. They really haven't made any big moves to keep up with what the Yankees are doing. They basically need another OF. And I know for a fact that many of their fans are counting on them to get Holliday. Plus it doesn't look like Jason Bay is coming back to Boston after he just rejected their latest offer.

Ken Rosenthal speculated that the Phillies may try to swing a three-team deal for Halladay, including sending Cliff Lee somewhere. At first I read the headline and just assumed Ken was going off the deep end, and did not really put any stock into it. He does not have any "sources", this was just his personal speculation. So I dismissed it as ridiculous earlier, but after thinking about it and reading some local guys takes of it, it actually would make a bit of sense. The jist of the deal is this: the Phillies would send Cliff Lee somewhere for a package of prospects the Blue Jays like, and they'd in turn send those guys to Toronto for Halladay. Both Lee and Halladay are free agents next winter. Halladay has apparently said that he almost certainly wants an extension worked out with his new team before being traded, and also that Philadelphia is his top destination. The Phillies met with Lee's representatives last week and it sounds like no progress was made, and that Lee might want to test free agency next year. So, while doing this trade might sound counterproductive on the surface, it would insure that the Phillies have a true ace locked up beyond this coming season should Lee not come to an agreement and leave in free agency.

Obviously, my dream scenario is that the Phillies can keep Lee around and still trade for Halladay (and obviously keep him here long term), but if all else fails I'd be for this. I have thought from the time we traded for Lee that he'd want to test free agency when he got there. It will be tough to sell this to all the feeble-minded fans and media in this town, but it does make a bit of sense.

Ken Rosenthal speculated that the Phillies may try to swing a three-team deal for Halladay, including sending Cliff Lee somewhere. At first I read the headline and just assumed Ken was going off the deep end, and did not really put any stock into it. He does not have any "sources", this was just his personal speculation. So I dismissed it as ridiculous earlier, but after thinking about it and reading some local guys takes of it, it actually would make a bit of sense. The jist of the deal is this: the Phillies would send Cliff Lee somewhere for a package of prospects the Blue Jays like, and they'd in turn send those guys to Toronto for Halladay. Both Lee and Halladay are free agents next winter. Halladay has apparently said that he almost certainly wants an extension worked out with his new team before being traded, and also that Philadelphia is his top destination. The Phillies met with Lee's representatives last week and it sounds like no progress was made, and that Lee might want to test free agency next year. So, while doing this trade might sound counterproductive on the surface, it would insure that the Phillies have a true ace locked up beyond this coming season should Lee not come to an agreement and leave in free agency.

Obviously, my dream scenario is that the Phillies can keep Lee around and still trade for Halladay (and obviously keep him here long term), but if all else fails I'd be for this. I have thought from the time we traded for Lee that he'd want to test free agency when he got there. It will be tough to sell this to all the feeble-minded fans and media in this town, but it does make a bit of sense.

Yeah, but it would ONLY make sense if Lee truly says that he isn't interesting in staying. Cause it would be a huge mistake to trade Lee just to get Halladay. But I see what you're saying, and it's a smart move if Lee doesn't stay.

Yeah, but it would ONLY make sense if Lee truly says that he isn't interesting in staying. Cause it would be a huge mistake to trade Lee just to get Halladay. But I see what you're saying, and it's a smart move if Lee doesn't stay.

The Phillies objective is to insure that they have a true ace locked up beyond this coming year. This core is in their prime and they do not want to miss a beat if they lose Lee. While I agree that the best possible scenario is having both of them and getting them both locked up, if they feel they have a good chance of losing Lee and decide to pull the trigger on a trade like this I'd understand it. I had previously heard that the Phillies would try to deal for Josh Johnson or Felix Hernandez next year if they were to lose Lee, but something like this would solve that problem.