MLB Hot Stove

Phightins

http://www.rotoworld.com/images/photos/MLB/BOS/MLB_Bay_small.jpg

Mystery team exceeds four years for Bay

A major league source told WEEI.com that one team has extended an offer beyond four years for free agent outfielder Jason Bay.

It's not the Red Sox. The Mets are the most recent team to enter the bidding, having submitted an offer in the range of $63 million over four years. Just this afternoon, Bay's agent Joe Urbon said there were better offers than Boston's on the table, so perhaps the Mets decided to add another year. Stay tuned.

Source

Plz oh plz let tha mystery be tha White Sox we need another OF. :P

Phillies with Halladay?

Halladay

Lee

Hamels

Blanton

Pedro

are you kidding me?

Pedro is a free agent who most likely will not be back, and if they deal for Halladay I'd expect to see Blanton traded to clear up salary. So not quite that exact rotation.

Why won't Pedro be back? I thought he did great last year. I read he wants to return to the Phillies as well, so I'm guessing it's the Phillies who want to end the relationship. Why would they do that? Is he asking for too much money? :huh:

Couple reasons. First, nobody knows if he can stay healthy for a full year. Remember he did not start pitching until July this year. Second, he wants more money than the Phillies (or anybody really) would be willing to pay for a 5th starter. Still a chance he comes back but I don't see it happening.

I think the Phillies would be crazy to trade Lee after that dominant post season, but it makes sense.

Yeah it seems like a ridiculous concept. I am hoping it doesn't come to that but if it did (for the reasons I listed) I would understand it.

http://www.rotoworld.com/images/photos/MLB/SD/MLB_Gonzalez_small.jpg

Boston, Padres discussing Adrian Gonzalez

The Red Sox and Padres have discussed an Adrian Gonzalez trade, but the two sides have yet to make any progress.

Gonzalez has let San Diego know Boston is his preferred choice, but former Red Sox GM and current Padres GM Jed Hoyer (with former Boston scouting director Jason McLeod in tow) is requesting Clay Buchholz along with top prospect Casey Kelly or Ryan Westmoreland. It's not an unreasonable price tag, but it's one Boston won't pay -- yet. Keep an eye on this situation.

Source

http://www.rotoworld.com/images/photos/MLB/SD/MLB_Gonzalez_small.jpg

Boston, Padres discussing Adrian Gonzalez

Source

Get him NOW!

He is the player that I wanted the Boston Red Sox to get the most last year, and this team would have a great line-up if they could get him, and get Jason Bay back.

I like Clay Bucholtz, but this team has deep pitching already, but the San Diego Padres are also asking for Casey Kelly, which is a steep price to pay, but I say, DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get him NOW!

He is the player that I wanted the Boston Red Sox to get the most last year, and this team would have a great line-up if they could get him, and get Jason Bay back.

I like Clay Bucholtz, but this team has deep pitching already, but the San Diego Padres are also asking for Casey Kelly, which is a steep price to pay, but I say, DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well Bay isn't coming back, so you're next option is to go after Matt Holliday and GLuck w/ Boras.

I have a friend who is a Red Sox fan and he was telling me that he wanted Boston to go after Gonzalez before this rumor was even posted. He was getting pretty pissed too cause he thought Theo wasn't doing anything to keep up with the Yankees. He said that getting a player like Adrian would fix the missing 3rd baseman issue with Youk just moving there, plus Gonzalez can hit a bunch of homers in Petco so he should have a field day in Fenway.

All in all this is basically a must acquire for the Red Sox if they wanna stay competitive next season.

http://www.rotoworld.com/images/photos/MLB/BOS/MLB_Lowell_small.jpg

Report: Lowell to require thumb surgery?

On Twitter, Peter Gammons reports that Mike Lowell may require surgery on his right thumb.

If true, this would torpedo the Lowell trade to Texas. It's possible the trade could be revisited once Lowell heals from the surgery, but by then the team will likely have found a different option. The surgery would throw a wrench into Boston's plans and they certainly have to be hoping surgery isn't needed. The trade that just won't be finalized drags on a bit longer.

Source

I have not heard anything (other than the fact that Roy Halladay and his representatives are in Philly to negotiate a new deal/take a physical), but it sounds like Cliff Lee will be going somewhere else as a part of this deal (Seattle maybe).