Philadelphia Phillies 2010

Phightins

If they keep him in the bullpen I think he has an awesome chance of getting to the big leagues this year. Mostly because relief pitchers go through the system faster, but also because the Phillies bullpen is their one weakness so I'm sure they won't hesitate to call him up if it comes to it.

If they keep him as a starter (as I am hoping they are able to do) I think he's at least a year and a half off.

Dude, I'm getting so pumped. I really think our pitching is gonna be so beast this year.

I agree. I honestly think the starting pitching is as deep as you will find in the NL. Only two real question marks. One being if we will get the 2006-08 Cole Hamels, or the 2009 Cole Hamels, and the other being whether or not JA Happ has a sophomore slump. Scouts have always doubted him and the consensus seems to be that he will fall to earth at some point, but I'm not sure I buy that. But if those two things go in the Phillies favor, this rotation is flat out nasty regardless of who the 5th starter is.

Bullpen definitely has some question marks/concerns. I am really hoping that some of the young guys step up (Antonio Bastardo, Scott Mathieson, Sergio Escalona) and maybe we can get something similar to what the Dodgers had last year with Troncoso and Belisario coming essentially out of nowhere and being awesome. Also hoping for the obvious...that Brad Lidge is healthy.

Blanton better be your 4 starter if you keep his 7.5 7.5 7.5 contract around over cliff lee's like 9 mil

It was not a matter of deciding to keep Joe Blanton over Cliff Lee. From what I heard, Amaro tried trading Blanton before he put Lee out there, but obviously they couldn't get nearly as big of a haul of prospects as Lee would have brought them. And it has nothing to do with money for this season. As it's been said many many times, paying Cliff Lee for this season would not have been an issue.

It was not a matter of deciding to keep Joe Blanton over Cliff Lee. From what I heard, Amaro tried trading Blanton before he put Lee out there, but obviously they couldn't get nearly as big of a haul of prospects as Lee would have brought them. And it has nothing to do with money for this season. As it's been said many many times, paying Cliff Lee for this season would not have been an issue.

Well I just think it's extremely silly to give up halladay-lee-hamels for Aumont who I like but let's be honest he's not a top 25 prospect. Silly unless of course you need to cut 9 mill of your cap that bad.

Edited by Fish7718

Well I just think it's extremely silly to give up halladay-lee-hamels for Aumont who I like but let's be honest he's not a top 25 prospect.

The Phillies had no chance to keep Lee beyond this season. As Amaro has said, the $9 million owed to him this season was not the issue at all. It was the fact that he will be a $16-17 mil per year pitcher next winter. Sure they would have gotten 2 high compensation picks for him when he left, but with as spot-on as this scouting department has been over the past decade, I will trust their judgement that Aumont, Gillies, and Ramirez are more valuable than whoever they could have taken in the draft. Not to mention, they are all relatively close to big-league ready, and whoever they would draft certainly would not be. The farm would have been absolutely barren outside of Domonic Brown and a few other high ceiling guys in low-A ball, which would have made it very difficult to make any mid-season trades when a need arises, as they do every year.

Edited by Phightins

Damnit, Chan Ho. He signed with the Yankees today...for half the money the Phillies offered, and also knowing he has no shot at the Yankees rotation. Apparently he told the Phillies he was going to pursue a starting job elsewhere.

Also....

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/philsphan1210/68420176-d1dc435618e3ab27bd7bcbeb26.jpg

Get this man resigned please.

• Like 1

The Phillies had no chance to keep Lee beyond this season. As Amaro has said, the $9 million owed to him this season was not the issue at all. It was the fact that he will be a $16-17 mil per year pitcher next winter. Sure they would have gotten 2 high compensation picks for him when he left, but with as spot-on as this scouting department has been over the past decade, I will trust their judgement that Aumont, Gillies, and Ramirez are more valuable than whoever they could have taken in the draft. Not to mention, they are all relatively close to big-league ready, and whoever they would draft certainly would not be. The farm would have been absolutely barren outside of Domonic Brown and a few other high ceiling guys in low-A ball, which would have made it very difficult to make any mid-season trades when a need arises, as they do every year.

Honeslty you just went to the world series back to back years and your worried about long term. The smart thing would have been to keep Lee and Halladay. I think deep down you know it and want to agree but your going to stand by whatever Amaro says.

Honeslty you just went to the world series back to back years and your worried about long term. The smart thing would have been to keep Lee and Halladay. I think deep down you know it and want to agree but your going to stand by whatever Amaro says.

I do not agree with you at all, as I have said. The Phillies with or without Cliff Lee appear to be the best team in the National League. Keeping the farm system stacked is how you stay competitive for years and have similar runs to what the Atlanta Braves had. That is what Ruben Amaro is going for.

In a video game world, I'd have loved to keep Cliff Lee. Would have been incredible for just this one season. But as somebody who also studies up on the business side of baseball as much as I can, this move is without a doubt in the best interest of the team.

I do not agree with you at all, as I have said. The Phillies with or without Cliff Lee appear to be the best team in the National League. Keeping the farm system stacked is how you stay competitive for years and have similar runs to what the Atlanta Braves had. That is what Ruben Amaro is going for.

In a video game world, I'd have loved to keep Cliff Lee. Would have been incredible for just this one season. But as somebody who also studies up on the business side of baseball as much as I can, this move is without a doubt in the best interest of the team.

Yeah and how many times did the Braves win the world series? How many times have the Twins won the world series?

Yeah and how many times did the Braves win the world series? How many times have the Twins won the world series?

The Phillies won the World Series without Cliff Lee OR Roy Halladay and I have no doubt in my mind they can do it again. That point doesn't really say much.

lol. i dont agree and deep down i also dont agree. the goal is to win another world series, but that doesnt mean sell your farm teams to be good for one year. the phillies are trying to balance being good now and keeping a team that can compete for years to come. and they have done a pretty damn good job.

you are just used to the mets front office, you cant comprehend smart roster decisions

Also...while I do understand your Lee argument (and have heard it many times from Phillies fans as well), I can't really believe you are discounting the idea of striving for a run like the '90-early 2000s Braves. One World Series in that entire time, yes, but 13 consecutive division titles is absolutely ridiculous. If that is the direction Ruben Amaro is trying to take the Phillies, I see no possible argument for how that is a bad thing.

Also, just on a sheer comparison of the rosters, these Phillies and '90s Braves are really entirely different. The Braves were built for the regular season and put up some ridiculous seasons. The Phillies never really "dominate" in the regular season (at least, they haven't in the past 3 years), but they do just enough to get to the postseason and then they turn it on in October. Can't really explain why this is, you'd think that a Maddux-Smoltz-Glavine rotation would be incredible in the playoffs, but it's the facts.

Edited by Phightins

The Phillies signed former Phillie-killer Brad Wilkerson to a minor league contract today. So in one winter, they signed arguably the 2 most random Phillie killers of the past decade, with the other being Brian Schneider (ironically both did most of their damage with the Montreal Expos).

Edited by Phightins

lol. i dont agree and deep down i also dont agree. the goal is to win another world series, but that doesnt mean sell your farm teams to be good for one year. the phillies are trying to balance being good now and keeping a team that can compete for years to come. and they have done a pretty damn good job.

you are just used to the mets front office, you cant comprehend smart roster decisions

Now I'm a Cowboys fan so I can comprehend them.

Also...while I do understand your Lee argument (and have heard it many times from Phillies fans as well), I can't really believe you are discounting the idea of striving for a run like the '90-early 2000s Braves. One World Series in that entire time, yes, but 13 consecutive division titles is absolutely ridiculous. If that is the direction Ruben Amaro is trying to take the Phillies, I see no possible argument for how that is a bad thing.

Also, just on a sheer comparison of the rosters, these Phillies and '90s Braves are really entirely different. The Braves were built for the regular season and put up some ridiculous seasons. The Phillies never really "dominate" in the regular season (at least, they haven't in the past 3 years), but they do just enough to get to the postseason and then they turn it on in October. Can't really explain why this is, you'd think that a Maddux-Smoltz-Glavine rotation would be incredible in the playoffs, but it's the facts.

You basically trade Lee for Aumont. If Aumont turns out to be nothing, which is very possible, then that was a huge mistake. Theres no chance with the Mets spending the money the way they do and the Braves having such a loaded farm that the Phillies could ever go on a run like the Braves did. It's not like the farm system would be depleted if you didn't trade Lee as well you got 2 players for him and neither are great.

Now I'm a Cowboys fan so I can comprehend them.

You basically trade Lee for Aumont. If Aumont turns out to be nothing, which is very possible, then that was a huge mistake. Theres no chance with the Mets spending the money the way they do and the Braves having such a loaded farm that the Phillies could ever go on a run like the Braves did. It's not like the farm system would be depleted if you didn't trade Lee as well you got 2 players for him and neither are great.

Many people think JC Ramirez is better than Phillippe Aumont.

Many people think JC Ramirez is better than Phillippe Aumont.

I don't know if that says more about Ramirez or less about Aumont lol, if a 23 yr old with 5.12 ERA at high A is the best prospect you got for Cliff Lee than that is a TERRIBLE deal.

Edited by Fish7718

I don't know if that says more about Ramirez or less about Aumont lol, if a 23 yr old with 5.12 ERA at high A is the best prospect you got for Cliff Lee than that is a TERRIBLE deal.

See, that is what most people (myself included) said when we first got him. Apparently the league he was in is a joke (as I have posted about before). The parks were all hitters paradises. A friend of mine who knows more about baseball, and more specifically prospects, than anybody else I know, and also happens to be a Mariners fan, has said that JC Ramirez was an impressive of a starting pitching prospect as he had seen in their system. So I will take his word. He will probably start this season in Reading (AA) which is pretty close to me, so I am definitely going to give him a look if I can. I have heard him compared to Rafael Soriano in terms of "stuff".

I hear that Cole Hamels looked very good today, despite giving up a homerun on the 2nd pitch of the game. His velocity on his fastball was consistently 89-90 mph, and last year he was struggling to consistently hit 86-87 even in late April. Also, he was mixing in his curveball a lot more than he used to, as well as his two new pitches, a cutter and a sinker. I guess Roy Halladay isn't the worst guy in the world to get pointers on throwing a sinker from.

I think in terms of pitching, he will have more of an impact with Kyle Kendrick because they are similar pitchers. But as far as the mental side of baseball goes, having Roy Halladay and Jamie Moyer on the same roster is going to be incredible for all of the young pitchers.

Edited by Phightins