Philadelphia Flyers 2010-2011

Phightins

Still a month and a half-ish until training camp, but I figured I'd get this fired up now. Anyway, very excited for this season. Many Flyers fans are not happy with this offseason, but I happen to believe the team is better now than it was at the conclusion of last season. We will see. Here is how the roster looks as of now, including a guess at what the lines and defensive pairings might look like.

Goalies:

Michael Leighton

Brian Boucher

Johan Backlund

Defense:

Chris Pronger-Matt Carle

Kimmo Timonen-Braydon Coburn

Andrej Meszaros-Sean O'Donnell

Extra Defensemen: Oskars Bartulis, Matt Walker

Forward Lines:

James van Riemsdyk-Mike Richards-Nikolai Zherdev

Scott Hartnell-Danny Briere-Ville Leino

Dan Carcillo-Jeff Carter-Claude Giroux

Darroll Powe-Blair Betts-Ian Laperriere

Extra Forwards: Jody Shelley, David Laliberte

I would not be surprised to see them sign another defenseman (as ridiculous as this sounds) to the league minimum (maybe Lukas Krajicek would be willing to come back for very cheap). I expect them to outright Walker to the Phantoms so his $1.7 million salary does not count against the cap, and I also expect Oskars Bartulis to be placed on waivers because he is on a one-way NHL only contract (hopefully he clears and can go to the Phantoms, I do not want to lose him to another team). And obviously Backlund will start the year with the Phantoms, barring an injury between now and then to Boucher or Leighton. However if Leighton struggles early on, I would not be surprised at all to see Backlund get the call. I expect them to rotate Shelley in frequently, maybe for Powe occasionally, depending on the matchup. And obviously the line combinations are way up in the air. James van Riemsdyk is the main forward I am looking at for having a big year. We need it. Basically every forward underperformed in the regular season last year to some degree, so I would love to see improvement out of all of them to make up for the Gagne loss. There is certainly enough talent there to make it happen.

Anyway, still a couple months off, but go Flyers.

Edited by Phightins

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rookie game today vs. Caps. Really interested to see how Sergei Bobrovsky does (he is starting in goal). I should probably avoid hyping up a Flyers goalie prospect based on past results, but a lot of people see him as a potential franchise goalie down the road. Some are even saying he may make the roster this season.

Tiny sample size obviously, but Sergei Bobrovsky looked solid tonight. He only played the 3rd, OT, and shootout, but I definitely see the potential. Very athletic kid. Let in one soft goal in the shootout, but otherwise he was basically flawless. But again, tiny sample size and he didn't really face many difficult shots.

Edited by Phightins

Bobrobsky playing again tonight.

Also, Marc-Andre Bourdon is apparently going to receive serious consideration for a spot on the final roster. Doubt he makes it because of how much depth we have on D, but I'd be shocked if he is not on the team at some point this year.

His record in the KHL isn't very good but his GAA isn't horrible. Would he play for the Phantoms or head back to Russia if he didn't make the team?

He was on the worst team in the league. Most people think his season in the KHL was pretty impressive because he had absolutely no help. He is headed to the Phantoms, which will be good for him. I'm pretty sure the first time he ever played on a North American sized rink was a few weeks ago, so playing a season in the AHL should be good for him. I've heard some people say he is going to push Boucher for the backup job, but that doesn't make sense to me. He'd be better off in the AHL playing the majority of the games and getting adjusted to the North American game.

Sergei Bobrovsky's path to the NHL roster may have gotten a bit easier. Michael Leighton re-aggravated his back injury, and some are saying it might be serious. Absolutely don't need a goalie injury problem, but for the first time in years it looks like the Flyers might actually have depth at the position.

Michael Leighton out a month with a bulging disc in his back, and Ian Laperriere out "indefinitely" with post-concussion syndrome. Bill Guerin's spot on the roster is looking pretty solid right about now, and Johan Backlund and/or Sergei Bobrovsky is going to be getting a pretty big opportunity.

Bill Guerin released from PTO. Andreas Nodl makes team as last forward. Would have been nice to have Guerin around for leadership, power play, all that good stuff, but I understand the decision. Without a clear-cut top goalie (unless Bobrovsky gets a chance and wins the job), the Flyers are putting a heavy emphasis on defense, and Nodl is IMO one of the better defensive forwards in the organization.

Also, Bobrovsky makes the team due to Leighton's injury. I am wondering how much he will play. Honestly I'd let him play as much as possible. We already know that Brian Boucher is the epitome of a backup goaltender, so why not let Bob get a chance to prove he's worth the hype.

One thing I noticed lately is these PTO never make the team when you'd think they would. I know Bill played pretty bad but Wellwood and Fluery last year too.

And what's the word on Emery? Do you think he might come back? He's injured till October or something I read so any chance he comes back?

I got the impression from the start that the Flyers weren't crazy about Guerin. He was apparently skating at the practice facility all summer, and they didn't offer him a PTO until basically the last minute. I just never really got a good vibe about it, although I thought he'd definitely make the team once Lappy started having his post-concussion stuff.

I hear Ray is going to try to make a comeback at some point this year. Not sure who would take a chance on him, I have read that his hip condition will probably be with him for the rest of his life.

Ian Laperriere is done for the season and probably his career. So sad. He rushed back from his concussion to play in the finals last year, and that may have been what ended his career.