General Hockey Thread 2010-2011

Phightins

I think Seabrook just has the chin of a 7 year-old girl lol. See the Anaheim hit, looks like he died.

That's what I was referring to. I do think he may have been dazed after that hit, and he hasn't played since the Torres hit, so I can't say he's exaggerating.

I actually take back what I said about him when comparing him to Matt Cooke, but I knew you would want to chime in.

I don't have a big problem with the Eberle hit either.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

Anybody watching the Canada/USA U-18 Semi Final?

USA had a 4-2 lead with 2 minutes left in the game and one of their d-men purposefully sent the puck over the glass due to Canada's sustained pressure and got a delay of game penalty. Canada pulls Subban and then end up scoring with a 6-4 advantage from a Murphy shot from the point. Then with about 45 seconds left they score another goal off of an insane pass from Murray and the Canadian forward had an open net for the tip in.

Game is in OT right now after a ridiculous final 10 minutes.

EDIT: And the States score with about 4 or 5 minutes left in OT after Murphy jumped into the rush and just missed with a huge slap shot. The Americans got the puck and went down the ice and took advantage of Murphy being caught deep in the Americans zone. The US player fired a wrister off the post and in.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Anybody watching the Canada/USA U-18 Semi Final?

USA had a 4-2 lead with 2 minutes left in the game and one of their d-men purposefully sent the puck over the glass due to Canada's sustained pressure and got a delay of game penalty. Canada pulls Subban and then end up scoring with a 6-4 advantage from a Murphy shot from the point. Then with about 45 seconds left they score another goal off of an insane pass from Murray and the Canadian forward had an open net for the tip in.

Game is in OT right now after a ridiculous final 10 minutes.

EDIT: And the States score with about 4 or 5 minutes left in OT after Murphy jumped into the rush and just missed with a huge slap shot. The Americans got the puck and went down the ice and took advantage of Murphy being caught deep in the Americans zone. The US player fired a wrister off the post and in.

Only caught the last five minutes and overtime but wow, that was some good hockey.

I love the style of goalie Subban is as he like his brother has worked his butt off to get where he is right now. He wasn't even going to be the backup goalie coming out of camp and managed to steal it from a goalie who was ranked pretty high last year. I even mind his upside down Dryden pose to be boss.

Grimaldi is also a heck of a player for his size. Definately going to a great U-20 this year and next.

Caps fans chanting "We Are Louder" was awesome. :lol:

Lol yeah that was cool, I don't think I've ever seen the stadium this loud before. Incredible game by Neurvirth, he continues to impress. This team is much different from years past, we're much more disciplined on defense, and it seems like we're never out of games.

Lol yeah that was cool, I don't think I've ever seen the stadium this loud before. Incredible game by Neurvirth, he continues to impress. This team is much different from years past, we're much more disciplined on defense, and it seems like we're never out of games.

As much as I liked it the first time, I have to admit that it got really lame when they did it for about the 3rd time and was just downright stupid after the 4th time.

Ovechkin was all over the place yesterday, though. I haven't watched much of this series (saw game 3 and bits and pieces of others) but Ovechkin was definitely a force out there yesterday. Every time he got the puck he created some sort of scoring opportunity and looked like the feared Ovechkin who put up 60 goals a couple of years ago. I don't know if it was something he changed or if Giardi and Staal just ran out of gas, but he was an animal out there.

You have to feel for Lundqvist, though. Guy stands on his head year in and year out but simply gets no support from his teammates. He is a top 5 goalie in the league without a doubt, but I can't help to feel that his career is going to be wasted on mediocore teams that he has to absolutely carry every night. He would be absolutely scary if he were to ever get any sort of help in front of him, particularly offensively (even though his defense isn't particularly great either).

As much as I liked it the first time, I have to admit that it got really lame when they did it for about the 3rd time and was just downright stupid after the 4th time.

Ovechkin was all over the place yesterday, though. I haven't watched much of this series (saw game 3 and bits and pieces of others) but Ovechkin was definitely a force out there yesterday. Every time he got the puck he created some sort of scoring opportunity and looked like the feared Ovechkin who put up 60 goals a couple of years ago. I don't know if it was something he changed or if Giardi and Staal just ran out of gas, but he was an animal out there.

You have to feel for Lundqvist, though. Guy stands on his head year in and year out but simply gets no support from his teammates. He is a top 5 goalie in the league without a doubt, but I can't help to feel that his career is going to be wasted on mediocore teams that he has to absolutely carry every night. He would be absolutely scary if he were to ever get any sort of help in front of him, particularly offensively (even though his defense isn't particularly great either).

This whole argument is getting a little old. I used to believe that he had minimal defensive support, but the fact of the matter is that the Rangers defense is not NEARLY as poor as people like to make it sound.

This whole argument is getting a little old. I used to believe that he had minimal defensive support, but the fact of the matter is that the Rangers defense is not NEARLY as poor as people like to make it sound.

I never said their defense was poor. I said it wasn't particularly great, which is 100% true.

And what about their offense? The guy lets in 2 goals and his team is lucky to get a win. They gave him 1.6 goals of support in 5 playoff games against a rookie goalie. Nuevrith played solid, don't get me wrong, but the Rangers putrid offense made him look a lot better than he actually is.

I just don't see how my argument is old considering it is 100% true. The guy can stand on his head for a 5 game stretch and his team can easily lose 4 of those because he gets absolutely no support offensively.

I'm also not saying that he was lights out or anything like that this year as he was solid, but not great. However, it doesn't change the fact that he is a top 5 goalie in the league who's prime will likely be wasted on mediocore teams that he has to carry.

Well, most people around this area thought, of all the bottom seeded playoff teams, the Rangers matched up with us the best. They are a solid defensive team with a terrific goaltender. And they absolutely destroyed us twice in the regular season, which made us apprehensive about playing them in the first round. I think without Callahan, their offensive woes become apparent.

But it did seem like they relied too heavily on Lundquist to bail them out. Staal had an average series at best, Girardi clearly out played him.

As for Ovie, he's been around 50 assists the last couple of years...but a major improvement from last year is that the Caps leading offensive players are all sacrificing their scoring in order to be better team players. Ovie's turning into a much better all around player and captain.

I am hoping Chicago wins so the Canucks have the biggest choke job ever........

It wouldn't even be comparable to the Bruins choke job last year.

The Canucks had everything in their favor, and accomplished a lot in regular season.

-Presidents trophy won with three weeks left in the season.

-Art Ross winner, along with the previous year's winner.

-Team completely healthy

-Up 3-0 in the series on a team that has knocked them out of the playoffs multiple times recently.

-Having one of the best goaltenders in the NHL.

If the Canucks lose game 7......wow!

Well, most people around this area thought, of all the bottom seeded playoff teams, the Rangers matched up with us the best. They are a solid defensive team with a terrific goaltender. And they absolutely destroyed us twice in the regular season, which made us apprehensive about playing them in the first round. I think without Callahan, their offensive woes become apparent.

I mean, we did match up pretty well.. all of the games, even the losses (save maybe game 5) were extremely close and a bounce this way or that and they could be different games.. when it comes down to it, our offense is just far too anemic to allow us to make any noise in the playoffs. We haven't had a competent center for years and years, and for some reason I feel like we're going to make a run at another Gomez or Drury in the offseason. Makes me sick.

I can't help to feel that his career is going to be wasted on mediocore teams that he has to absolutely carry every night.

Never going to happen as long as Sather is in charge, and James Dolan is too much of a clown to get rid of him. Sad situation.

I am hoping Chicago wins so the Canucks have the biggest choke job ever........

It wouldn't even be comparable to the Bruins choke job last year.

The Canucks had everything in their favor, and accomplished a lot in regular season.

-Presidents trophy won with three weeks left in the season.

-Art Ross winner, along with the previous year's winner.

-Team completely healthy

-Up 3-0 in the series on a team that has knocked them out of the playoffs multiple times recently.

-Having one of the best goaltenders in the NHL.

If the Canucks lose game 7......wow!

It's obviously not a conspiracy, but the discrepancy between penalties is ridiculous (how do we accrue 12 more penalties in a series that's been physical between both teams?) and that half breakaway was questionable at best.

Either way, I find it comical. We played a great road game and dominated Chicago in overtime. It's also kind of funny to see Luongo/Schneider drama unfold. If Schneider is able to play on Tuesday I'd rather play him, he deserved it. Luongo's been fantastic all year, and was very good in the first 3 games, but he just can't play Chicago. I have no clue what it is. He just blows against Chicago with anything on the line. Schneider, other then his stickhandling gaffes, was routinely good tonight and isn't playing with any demons in his head.

I really do think the Canucks deserved a better fate tonight. Hopefully we can win Game 7 and get the Hell out of this series.

I posted that on another forum. We dominated Chicago for about 90% of the game, Crawford was very good and Chicago had absolutely zero pressure save for a few shifts in the playoffs. They didn't deserve to lose tonight. Kesler and Burrows finally got there shit together, but Salo was out in the first and Alberts wasn't great. [expletive]. [expletive]. [expletive]. [expletive]. [expletive]. If we lose, i'm going to absolutely laugh/be embarrassed at the same time. Except I don't think we will. We'll see I suppose.

Didn't see the Vancouver game tonight, but it should be interesting to see the fallout from the Bickell hit on Bieksa. People went ape shit over Torres hit on Seabrook, but if you ask me Bickell's hit was worse considering he left his feet. If people think Torres should've gotten a major and a suspension for his hit, I'd love to see them try and defend that hit considering it was pretty much the exact same thing except Bickell left his feet while Torres didn't.

Other than that, it looked like a fantastic game. The Canucks seemed to have the edge in play for the majority of the game but a couple of poor plays from Schnieder outside of his net and a questionable penalty shot were all the Hawks needed with how well Crawford was playing in the net.

Even though the Canucks are my second favourite team behind the Leafs, part of me is absolutely loving this and would almost even enjoy seeing them lose Game 7 simply because of how cocky and arrogant a large amount of the Canuck fans that I know are. It would be nice to give them a few jabs about blowing a 3-0 lead, even though it doesn't mean much coming from a guy who is a fan of a team who hasn't made the playoffs in like 6 years. :lol:

Canuck fans are very arrogant, ignorant and cocky, mainly on HFBoards and CDC, but there are still quite a few fairweather fans. I think it's mainly because we've never won a Cup before and we have such a good chance to if we beat Chicago. We can beat Nashville and Detroit, they don't worry me much. It's seriously our best chance since 94 and before that 82.

I really want to root for the Canucks. A friend of mine (and Kyle) is a big Canucks fan, so I'd like to see them do well for him. But shit, as a neutral fan, it'd be awesome to see the Blackhawks finish this.

I have 5-3 'Nucks, empty net goal. I've never been more nervous for anything in my entire life though. Biggest game for the Canucks besides Game 7 1994.

Ben Smith, Toews and Campbell for the Hawks. Kesler, Hansen, Henrik, Ehrhoff and Burrows empty net for Vancouver. Let's hope I'm right.