General Hockey Thread 2010-2011

Phightins

Overtime playoff hockey. Nothing better.

Also...thinking of starting individual threads for each series. Worth it or no?

Not sure if it will get enough interest. But if you want to, go for it.

What a game, this series is going to be epic. Semin picked the perfect time to end his playoff streak without a goal. Game winner in OT!

Feel bad for the Ducks. So much talent and no goaltending.

Well, it hurts when your number 1 goalie is always in and out of the lineup. Hiller is pretty good (or at least was, not sure how he played this year) but the seems to miss every second week with some new injury.

Ducks are going to have no chance in this series if they are forced to rely on Ray Emery and Dan Ellis between the pipes. The Preds aren't the most gifted of offensive teams, but even they will be able to score enough against that calibre of goaltending to make this a quick series with their amazing defense and Pekka Rinne being an absolute beast between the pipes.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Well the Sharks better at least go to the WCF this year, I have their first 2 lines pretty much in my playoff pool, kinda went all the way, if they do it I'll win, if they don't I'll lose. I figure that they have at least a 2nd round appearance locked up with how banged up LA is, and everyone in the pool (11 people) were passing on em, so I

figured I might as well since I was picking 10th.

Nice to see Vancouver doing well though, and Washington get the first win, I was staying far away from those series, just too scary for me. It would be amazing if Pittsburgh won and Crosby came back, not holding my breath, but it'd definitely be awesome.

These next 2 weeks are the 2 best weeks in sports, NHL double headers every night, baseball is starting up (not a big fan, but still) and the NBA first round (kinda boring but oh well) to boot. My night is set watching Boston-Montreal then San Jose-LA after, :)

Edited by Check my Stats

Well the Sharks better at least go to the WCF this year, I have their first 2 lines pretty much in my playoff pool, kinda went all the way, if they do it I'll win, if they don't I'll lose. I figure that they have at least a 2nd round appearance locked up with how banged up LA is, and everyone in the pool (11 people) were passing on em, so I

figured I might as well since I was picking 10th.

Nice to see Vancouver doing well though, and Washington get the first win, I was staying far away from those series, just too scary for me. It would be amazing if Pittsburgh won and Crosby came back, not holding my breath, but it'd definitely be awesome.

These next 2 weeks are the 2 best weeks in sports, NHL double headers every night, baseball is starting up (not a big fan, but still) and the NBA first round (kinda boring but oh well) to boot. My night is set watching Boston-Montreal then San Jose-LA after, :)

Pretty much. I don't think I moved from my couch yesterday from about 4PM to 10PM (or whenever the Canucks game finished, closer to 9:45 I think).

It was pretty much perfrect as I watched the Pens/Bolts game, whenever that was on intermission I would go to the Caps/Rags game and then watched the Nucks/Hawks game after that. I also had the Raptors game playing on my laptop the entire time it was on.

Just a great day, but I have a final today that I was supposed to be studying for yesterday and that did not happen at all, so I've had to cram about 6 hours worth of studying into 2, haha.

My new job has completely ruined this time of the sports year. Tonight, I have to work during the Flyers game. And later in the week, I'll be able to see the early games, but I will need to get to sleep early-ish for the days I need to be at work at 6AM. So, no west coast games for me. Pretty shitty.

Can someone clear this up for me. I was just wondering why Blackhawks are #8 seed? They won Stanley Cup last year. Did they lose some good players or did injuries hurt them? I don't really follow hockey in regular season since I watch the playoffs more. I was surprised when I saw them as #8 seed

Can someone clear this up for me. I was just wondering why Blackhawks are #8 seed? They won Stanley Cup last year. Did they lose some good players or did injuries hurt them? I don't really follow hockey in regular season since I watch the playoffs more. I was surprised when I saw them as #8 seed

They lost quite a few main players due to the cap and their starting goaltender. They also may have been 8th but they racked up 97 points in the regular season.

The Blackhawks biggest strength last year was their depth, they could roll 3 lines no problem and all could give you a couple goals any night. In the off-season, they lost an entire lines-worth of players in Dustin, Kris and Ladd, and all 3 were key last year, they lost Niemi too ( who I think is meh anyways but whatever). I think the Hawks are still a threat, but they have to roll their top 2 lines a lot more if they want to get enough goals to win, their 3rd/4th lines are shit now.

But yeah, 97 points is still a good year, they could have easily wound up 3rd seed with a couple more OT wins or something.

Also thank God the Sharks won last night, can't believe how the game turned out after the first 30 minutes. Quick was amazing though, if he gives up a couple goals in that first this game might have been a blow out, but he held on long enough for the Kings to pop one in. Patrick Marleau sucks though, dude just seems so disinterested out there, maybe it's just me... I picked up 6 pts on 3 goals, so if the Sharks make a run to the WCF, I should probably win the pool. Big if though.

Edited by Check my Stats

Matt Carle a beauty 2 point game tonight, big bonus for my hockey pool team. Now if only Pronger would come back, those two could be sick late round pickups for me if Philly moves on a round or two, people stay sleeping on those big minute defensemen in playoff pools.

Hoping the Sharks can bury the Kings early tonight, other game was too long, hopefully Quick isn't that good again.