General Hockey Thread 2010-2011

Phightins

Have fun getting a shitty mid 1st round pick.

They aren't really that shitty around the middle and it actually works in Bostons favor almost. Yes it would be great to get Larrson or a bigger name but at least this kid can still develop while the Bruins are clearly going all in for the Cup.

Edit: Sorry Phigntins, didn't include any data, you are right.

Edited by Universe

They aren't really that shitty around the middle and it actually works in Bostons favor almost. Yes it would be great to get Larrson or a bigger name but at least this kid can still develop while the Bruins are clearly going all in for the Cup.

We will have to agree to disagree here. I just do not see much outside of the top 8 or 9. Maybe I am wrong.

Edited by Phightins

With the Devils winning tonight, along with the Sabres and Hurricanes losing, if the Rangers lose to the Sharks as well, the Devils will control their own destiny in regards to passing those teams. That is pretty remarkable. If they happen to make the playoffs, this will be the biggest comeback in NHL history, and no team would want to face the Devils in the playoffs.

There's a reason why I had Kovalchuk in my sig.

In regards to the Toronto pick. I think there is a very good chance that it becomes a lottery pick. I see New Jersey definitely passing them, and Atlanta can definitely do so as well. I'm hoping the Islanders and Panthers can as well, especially with the tough schedule the Leafs have ahead of them.

They are going to be playing a lot of playoff teams and teams still fighting for the playoffs, so I hope they get worn down and lose!

Can we just ban this clown for life?

And yes, before I get jumped on by Universe and ECN, I am aware that the Flyers have several dirty players. But Cooke is in a league of his own.

Ottawa also gave Craig Anderson a 4 year, $12.75M contract extension. Numbers may be a bit off, but he is basically getting a bit more than $3M for 4 years.

Kind of jumped the gun on that one, if you ask me. I hate Ottawa so the only time I ever watch them is when they are playing the Leafs so I don't know how well he has played since being traded from the Avs, but that seems a bit pricey for a goalie who has basically had one good year and that is it.

Ottawa also gave Craig Anderson a 4 year, $12.75M contract extension. Numbers may be a bit off, but he is basically getting a bit more than $3M for 4 years.

Kind of jumped the gun on that one, if you ask me. I hate Ottawa so the only time I ever watch them is when they are playing the Leafs so I don't know how well he has played since being traded from the Avs, but that seems a bit pricey for a goalie who has basically had one good year and that is it.

Definately. I know Robin Lehner is only 19 right now but you think you'd move him to the big club before four years. I thought him and Karlsson would be a nice combo to build the future since Gonchar and Alfie are a year or two away from retiring.

That whole team is a mess. If you are going for a rebuild, go the distance. Maybe Murray figures he is gone this summer and decided to do something stupid before being shown the door? Hah.

It looks like Marc Savard may end up retiring because he is having serious memory problems. This is just really sad, and I hope he makes the the decision in his best interest, which should be his health.

I wish more people would do this to that scumbag.

Perhaps the only positive is Chiarelli potentially gets under that massive burden of a contract. Not that it means anything when talking about someone's health, but you get the jist of it. The Bruins need to pinch every penny with the great talent they have.

Perhaps the only positive is Chiarelli potentially gets under that massive burden of a contract. Not that it means anything when talking about someone's health, but you get the jist of it. The Bruins need to pinch every penny with the great talent they have.

I know, that's what a lot of people have been thinking the whole season, but now that his health is coming to the forefront again, it really sucks to hear how he's feeling. Also, if he was healthy, it would be one hell of a bargain for a contract for a player that is top three in assists since the lock-out. If the Bruins had a healthy Savard this year, they would probably be Eastern Conference favorites.

I'd like to see the Bruins play the Canucks in the finals because the Sedins have never been able to figure out Chara in Boston......

Anyways, the one thing I want to say about the Canucks is that Kesler is massively over-rated defensively. Bergeron is superior in that department, and has statistics to support his case. The Sedins are great, but if Kesler wins the Selke, it's based off name recognition and him being close in recent years.

I also wonder is Crosby will be back this season. It's quite amazing how the Penguins are doing without Crosby and Malkin.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

Kesler's regressed defensively over the past two years because he's taken a step back from being a physical, agitator-like player to a more pure offensively player and that's certainly hurt his ability to play defensively. He's still incredibly responsible defensively and a viable Selke candidate, but I know what you're saying. Maholtra (now out for the season, which blows) has taken over those reigns.

Aaron Ekblad gets to play in the OHL next year....kids gonna be a beast.

6'3, 200 pounds and just turned 15 about a month and a half ago.

Jesus christ.

When I saw that interview with him on TSN, I thought the guy was like 20 years old. When they said he was 15, I almost shit myself.

Could you imagine being your typical 14 year old hockey player and going up against a 6'3, 200 pound monster like him, who is not only physically a beast, but is a smooth skating, great passing and sick handed defenseman? That just wouldn't be fair.

As far as him playing in the O as a 15 year old, it will be interesting to see how he does when he isn't in a physical league of his own. He looks like he can hold his own physically, but it will be interesting to see how he does when he can't just man-handle everybody.

Regardless, being granted exceptional status is just ridiculous, considering the only other player to ever have that ended up having one of the best OHL careers ever (John Tavares, in case anybody didn't know).

Fleury is going to have to stand on his head in this Tampa series if the Pens are going to have any chance. The Pens just have absolutely no fire power with Crosby and Malkin out of the lineup and going up against a team offensively gifted as Tampa, he is going to have to be on top of his game because he can't expect much more than 2 goals a game in support.

He has been great during the first half of the 1st period, though. Game could easily be two or three nothing right now if it wasn't for him.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Fleury is going to have to stand on his head in this Tampa series if the Pens are going to have any chance. The Pens just have absolutely no fire power with Crosby and Malkin out of the lineup and going up against a team offensively gifted as Tampa, he is going to have to be on top of his game because he can't expect much more than 2 goals a game in support.

He has been great during the first half of the 1st period, though. Game could easily be two or three nothing right now if it wasn't for him.

Yep...they can't get bailed out by the shootout in the playoffs! But I am a bit hesitant to count them out. I expected them to fall apart down the stretch of the regular season, and they didn't. I am also not completely sold on Tampa as a solid playoff team because of their defense. But we will see.

Anyway, here is to one of the greatest parts of the sports year. Happy playoffs!