General Baseball Thread

Phightins

• 2 weeks later...

With Bourn and Pence gone, is the current Astros lineup one of the worst of the past few decades? Methinks it is.

Olney had a funny tweet it went something like this

Divisional realignment has been authorized, the Astros will be moving the PCL

3 games for Victorino, nothing for Whiteside or Ramirez. Ridiculous.

Although, I guess letting the Giants keep Eli Whiteside in their lineup is punishment enough...

Oh, Ramirez and Whiteside fined. That makes it better...

Placido Polanco also fined. Apparently getting grabbed by the knees and wrestled to the ground by a catcher jumping up and down like a clown is a fine-able suspense, these days.

Edited by Phightins

Jays leading for almost the entire game. Alvarez gets yanked in the 5th and they bring in Litsch who goes 2 innings giving up 1 hit. Then Farrell brings in Trever Miller who proceeds to give up a game tying homerun, pulls Miller and brings in Rauch, who immediately gives up the go ahead home run to the next batter he faces and then gives up two more hits after that (although he got out of a 1st and 3rd situation).

Typical Blue Jays game.

And they failed to sign their 1st rounder in the process.

Well, supposedly the Jays offered him $2.5M and he wouldn't sign for anything less than $3.5M, so I'm not too worried about it. That $3.5M he wanted would've made him the 8th highest paid player in the first round.

At least they managed to sign Norris who many people considered to be the better prospect (at least from what I have read), so at least that happened. I would've liked to see them get a deal done with Beede, but what can you do?

They managed to sign 11 of their first 13 picks and 35 of 55 overall so even though they couldn't get a deal done with Beede, it was still a fairly successfull draft.

Obviously it wasn't as good as a team like Tampa who signed 20 of their first 21 picks, but what can you do. The Jays decided to go for pure talent over signability and when you do that the odds of actually signing everybody that you drafted are slim.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Did anybody hear Mike Rizzo's comments about the Nationals draft class/getting all of their high picks signed?

He basically said that the Nationals proved with this draft that they are an elite scouting organization. Epic lulz.

Hey congrats! You had four very high picks, mostly because your team sucks. Paying way above slot to get those guys signed looks like desperation more than savvy scouting. Produce some results in the middle rounds of the draft before you start talking shit.

And in other news, the Cubs fired Jim Hendry today. Surprise surprise.

Now that the Indians got swept by the Tigers, going from 1.5 to 4.5 games out of first, it seems like the fan base is over this team. And I can understand because Ubaldo is 1-3 in his 4 starts, yet we've scored 5 or more runs in all of those starts. Also, Jason Kipnis, though he's a rookie who's played less than 20 games, had a huge impact on the offense and has some star quality about him. Now he's injured, and could be out the rest of the year.

I believe there is still a chance given these three things: 1: We have an 11 game home stand starting tomorrow against teams all under .500...2: We have 6 games remaining against Detroit...and 3: The Giants were 5 games out at this point last year, and they won it all.

It'd be a shame if they didn't win the division, because it wouldn't serve justice to the way the year began with our 30-15 start. Go Tribe!

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

Jim Thome hit waivers today. He would be beyond perfect for the Phillies. Of course, the Phillies are last in waiver priority I fully expect somebody to claim him just for the sake of cock blocking. But if he somehow makes it down that far, I would be thrilled.

Wandy Rodriguez was claimed off of waivers and it is speculated that the Nationals were the ones who claimed him.

Also, the Blue Jays traded Aaron Hill and John McDonald to the D'Backs for Kelly Johnson.

I don't really know anything about Johnson, but this seems like a case of trading one struggling 2nd baseman for another struggling 2nd baseman. Johnson had a great year last season, but has been struggling a lot this season (although he doesn't seem to be as bad at the plate as Hill as this season).

Hill's time in Toronto had run its course, though. He had a few good seasons, but it was clear that he needed a change of scenery or something and that he wasn't part of the Jays long term plans with the way that he has played over the past two seasons. He seems like a great guy and now that he is in the National League I wish him (and Johnny Mac) the best of luck as he seems like he is a great guy. His time in Toronto was just up.

Can anybody share any insight on Johnson for me? I don't really watch much ball outside of the Jays so I don't know much about him. From what I've read he has some nice pop and strikes out a lot. How is his defense and things like that?

PS: From the press conference that AA had (with Hill and McDonald), it sounds very likely that McDonald will be back next season.