Philadelphia Flyers 2011-12

Phightins

Sean Couturier is great. Hard to believe he is 18 years old sometimes. Seems like Lavy trusts him more than any other forward on the PK, except for Talbot perhaps.

And Scott Hartnell is awful.

The three Capitals goals so far coming off a terrible Hartnell turnover, a deflection off Flyers defenseman, and yet another deflection off Flyers defenseman.

Yep, one of those games....

Meszaros and Coburn look particularly awful this year. I was challenged to a fight at the game last night by a couple clowns when I was sticking up for Bryzgalov.

Edited by Phightins

Matt Walker is turrible.

Wasn't it Schenn that failed to clear the zone and turned it over to Liles?

I know the puck deflected off of Walker in front, but I thought it was Schenn who made the giveaway that led to the goal.

My stream is very choppy and grainy, though, so I might be wrong.

Also, tough luck for Pronger. There was obviously no malicious intent from Grabovski there as it was just unfortunate timing of Pronger arriving just as Grabo followed through on the shot. Pronger looked to be in some considerable pain and that did not look good at all.

Wasn't it Schenn that failed to clear the zone and turned it over to Liles?

I know the puck deflected off of Walker in front, but I thought it was Schenn who made the giveaway that led to the goal.

My stream is very choppy and grainy, though, so I might be wrong.

Also, tough luck for Pronger. There was obviously no malicious intent from Grabovski there as it was just unfortunate timing of Pronger arriving just as Grabo followed through on the shot. Pronger looked to be in some considerable pain and that did not look good at all.

Yeah. It was weird bounces all around. Nothing Walker could have done there, but I was actually going to post before the game about how bad he is and how I am disappointed he is playing over Lilja tonight.

Wow. Seeing Chris Pronger run off the ice screaming is one of the creepiest things I have ever seen in sports. Really.

Yeah, that was bad.

I remember when he took a puck (at least I think it was a puck) to the face in Anaheim and broke his jaw, and his reaction to this play was much, much worse. It definitely makes you think of the worst possible scenario seeing a guy like Pronger react in the way that he did.

I don't like the guy as he seems like a giant douche, but you never want to see a guy potentially suffer damage to his eye.

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/2a/fullj.a514ffcc46d274de3fcfda3abf001c1f/a514ffcc46d274de3fcfda3abf001c1f-getty-130207289.jpg

Edited by The Great BFT

I am expecting the worst. Flyers not revealing much. This is potentially devastating. For obvious reasons. Also because the Flyers are so tight against the cap that nobody can be brought up from the Phantoms. If Pronger is missing any time at all, I'd love for Erik Gustafsson to come up. Or even Kevin Marshall. Anybody but Lilja/Walker, but now it looks like both of them will be forced into the lineup.

Edited by Phightins

Also, just ordered Phantoms-Bears tickets for when they play at Citizens Bank Park the week after the Winter Classic. $10 tickets, which is slightly less than Winter Classic tickets would be, haha. Should be a lot of fun.

Any of you Caps fans care to join me? Bears will likely destroy the Phantoms anyway.

I didn't realize Danny Briere got his 600th career point in the 2nd. Nice little accomplishment for him.

Lmao at the fans booing the penalty on Briere, though. Somebody should let them know that you aren't allowed to swing your stick like a baseball bat at a goalies head. :lol:

(I realize it was unintentional and he was trying to hit the puck, but still, that is about as clear of a penalty as you can get).

I didn't realize Danny Briere got his 600th career point in the 2nd. Nice little accomplishment for him.

Lmao at the fans booing the penalty on Briere, though. Somebody should let them know that you aren't allowed to swing your stick like a baseball bat at a goalies head. :lol:

(I realize it was unintentional and he was trying to hit the puck, but still, that is about as clear of a penalty as you can get).

Yeah, most Flyers fans are incredibly dumb. That was the right call, just like basically every other time he has been penalized for being careless with his stick (aka a lot). You'd think people would be used to it by now.

Edited by Phightins

Sean Couturier will remain with the Flyers and not be returned to Drummondville. I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, he is very good and can certainly hold his own in the NHL. So in that sense, it's cool that he gets to stay. However, I think it'd be more beneficial to the Flyers to send him back and save that additional year on his rookie contract. It isn't as if they need him on the team to stay competitive this season, or as if fitting his next contract under the salary cap definitely won't be an issue (when is the salary cap ever not an issue with this team?). I'd rather have him on the cheap as a 21 year old as opposed to on the roster at all as an 18 year old.

But then again, the Flyers have never shown any regard for the salary cap, so this is precisely the decision I expected. Certainly not terrible, and I will enjoy the hell out of watching him all season.

Edited by Phightins

Speaking of Couturier, it is so annoying that he continues to waste away on the 4th line. Even more of an argument for returning him to Drummondville. He is getting very little 5-on-5 ice time, and when he does, he is stuck with Jody Shelley as a linemate. Someone tell me how this is helping his development.

That was some of the most excruciating hockey I have ever seen. Is this really all because Pronger's out? I mean, 1-6, this defense is absolutely awful right now. Can't believe I wasted $50 to see that shit. At least it was "exciting" I guess.

Gotta give props to Bryz. Even though I don't think he's been nearly as bad as his numbers indicate, he took the heat for everything after that Winnipeg loss. As a result, he got absolutely torched in the media in the following few days, which is precisely what I think he wanted. Took all of the heat off the guy who actually deserved to take heat. Gotta think that earned him major respect points. And then he bounced back and was great last night against Carolina.

Also, Zac Rinaldo is really starting to grow on me. Top 5 on the team in hits despite playing 4 less games than everyone else and seeing very little time on ice. He has been playing within the rules too, which is the opposite of what I expected.