Philadelphia Flyers 2011-12

Phightins

Sergei Bobrovsky is really, really good (stats be damned, that Winnipeg game was an aberration, and not really his fault anyway). Really, someone tell me why the Bryzgalov deal was necessary. And this is nothing against Bryz as a player. But that contract sucks and will come back to haunt us big time in a few years, and it was so unnecessary since we have a perfectly good (and improving) goalie in Bob. So annoying how poorly run this organization can be at times.

Edited by Phightins

I know, +/- is an incredibly shitty stat. But regardless, Erik Gustafsson was +6 last night and that is very cool. He is making a strong case to remain in the lineup when Chris Pronger returns.

Coburn signs a 4yr/$18M contract with the Flyers.

Thoughts on this, Phightins?

I like it. Basically the going rate for defensemen of his ilk. Pronger and Timonen are getting old, Matt Carle is probably in line to be overpaid this offseason, and there are no solid defensemen coming up through the pipeline. Losing Coburn would have been devastating. Glad they got this over with for a reasonable price.

Haven't been around much the past few days, but here are a few injury updates...

-Erik Gustafsson will be out for 6 weeks because of wrist surgery. Isn't a terribly huge issue right now, but it will become one if another top 6 defenseman goes down.

-Jaromir Jagr did something to his groin last night. Obviously this sucks. Hopefully it isn't a long term thing. I was at the game so I didn't get to hear all of the TV chatter, but it looked like they tried out JvR and Couturier on the Giroux line in Jagr's place. Both seemed to do fine in my estimation.

-Brayden Schenn is probably still 2 weeks away from returning

Winter Classic jerseys!! (Pics from Broad Street Hockey )

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/philsphan1210/vcgvt.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/philsphan1210/wybmwx.jpg

Edited by Phightins

Didn't take long, but Bobrovsky has (temporarily?) unseated Bryzgalov as #1 goalie.

"Oh hey lets go drop $51 million on a goalie when we already have a very talented 23 year old with loads of potential! This is sure to work out just fine"

Didn't take long, but Bobrovsky has (temporarily?) unseated Bryzgalov as #1 goalie.

"Oh hey lets go drop $51 million on an overrated goalie when we already have a very talented 23 year old with loads of potential! This is sure to work out just fine"

Don't forget that little tidbit.

I like Bryzgalov, but him playing in Phoenix under Tippett made him look better than he actually is. Burke is an excellent goalie coach and Tippett is quite possibly the best coach in the league with a very disciplined/structured system that gets the most out o fhis players.

Just look at how good Mike Smith is playing for the Yotes and he was considered an average backup prior to this year.

Bryz is a good goalie, though. I'm not trying to say otherwise.

Don't forget that little tidbit.

I like Bryzgalov, but him playing in Phoenix under Tippett made him look better than he actually is. Burke is an excellent goalie coach and Tippett is quite possibly the best coach in the league with a very disciplined/structured system that gets the most out o fhis players.

Just look at how good Mike Smith is playing for the Yotes and he was considered an average backup prior to this year.

Bryz is a good goalie, though. I'm not trying to say otherwise.

I pretty much agree. I do think Bryz is very good (although honestly not better than Bobrovsky), and if money were no object, I'd be more than happy to have him on my team. But this contract is absolutely crippling and is sure to look even worse in the coming years. Chris Pronger is sure to be pretty useless at least 2-3 seasons before his contract is up as well. So that's a ton of wasted cap space. Adding Bryz's $7 mil cap hit to the mix is not helping anything.

Just blows my mind when I try to figure out what was going through their head as they signed him. He's good, but he's not an improvement over what they had. That one signing forced them to trade two of their top three forwards. Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled with the return in both of those deals (especially the Carter trade), but they should not have been forced to make them.

Chris Pronger out at least a month with a knee issue. Andreas Nodl waived. Brayden Schenn back up from Adirondack.

Pronger news obviously sucks, no other way to say it. I like Nodl a lot, but he has regressed to the point where you can't justify having him on an NHL roster while Brayden Schenn sits in the AHL. Had to be done. Interested to see what happens with the forwards now.

Andreas Nodl claimed by Carolina. I was OK with him being waived yesterday, because I figured the Flyers had done their homework on this. But now it is clear that they hadn't, and I am annoyed. Carolina was 4th on waiver priority, so he was grabbed pretty quickly. So, he obviously has a bit of value around the league. I figured that if the Flyers were waiving him, they had surveyed the league and attempted to gauge interest, and figured there was a good chance he'd slide through waivers and be able to go to the Phantoms. That was an epic fail. Now, a player with value (albeit not a huge amount) is gone for absolutely nothing. The Flyers do this a lot and it really bugs me (losing the rights to decent prospects such as Tomas Hyka and Joacim Eriksson in the past year to name a few examples). Even if they shopped Nodl around and turned him into a 6th or 7th round pick, that is better than getting nothing.

I realized his role has been fazed out here with the emergences of guys like Zac Rinaldo, Harry Zolnierczyk, and to some degree Sean Couturier. So I am fine with the Flyers wanting to move on. But they are really blowing their assets here when they lose guys of value for absolutely nothing. There's a good chance this was just an honest misjudgment of the market, but since they do this a lot I am not going to give them the benefit of the doubt here.

Anyway, so long Andreas. I liked him a lot for a non-impact player. I think he will have a reasonably long and effective NHL career as a 3rd/4th line guy.

Reported lines from practice yesterday (with Schenn and Jagr added to the mix)

Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr

Read-Briere-Simmonds

Schenn-Talbot-Voracek

Rinaldo-Couturier-Shelley

Assuming that when JvR gets healthy, he slides onto that third line, Schenn goes to the middle, and Talbot drops to the 4th line (replacing Shelley). Ideally, they will find a way to get Cooter onto one of the top three lines at some point. He deserves it.

I'm watching the Arizona-Florida college basketball game on The Score (a sports network in Canada) and on the ticker they showed a stat that Claude Giroux has 26 of his 32 points in Flyer wins this season.

It made me curious, do you know what they record is in games that Giroux doesn't record a point in? Has it been a situation where if Giroux doesn't score the Flyers are unlikely to win, or is it just a coincidence that so many of his points come in Flyer wins?

Edited by Built Ford Tough

I'm watching the Arizona-Florida college basketball game on The Score (a sports network in Canada) and on the ticker they showed a stat that Claude Giroux has 26 of his 32 points in Flyer wins this season.

It made me curious, do you know what they record is in games that Giroux doesn't record a point in? Has it been a situation where if Giroux doesn't score the Flyers are unlikely to win, or is it just a coincidence that so many of his points come in Flyer wins?

I have absolutely no idea. But I saw a similar stat the other day. The Flyers haven't lost a road game in which he scores a goal in regulation in over a full calendar year. When I first saw it, I dismissed it as some stupid, meaningless stat. But maybe there is something to it, who knows. Never really thought about it.