Philadelphia Flyers 2011-12

Phightins

The Leafs have a huge abundance of top defensive prospects and losing Schenn for a guy like Van riemsdyk would probably benefit the Leafs now and in the long run.

Yeah. It's the other way around for the Flyers. Lots of pretty sick young forwards, but not one defenseman under age 26 that projects as anything more than an average 3rd pairing type of guy. So maybe this trade could help both teams. JvR has underperformed massively for basically his entire career. Not to mention he is injured all the time. I'm definitely not giving up on him, you can tell how much potential he has. He's just been pretty frustrating in his career thus far.

Yeah. It's the other way around for the Flyers. Lots of pretty sick young forwards, but not one defenseman under age 26 that projects as anything more than an average 3rd pairing type of guy. So maybe this trade could help both teams. JvR has underperformed massively for basically his entire career. Not to mention he is injured all the time. I'm definitely not giving up on him, you can tell how much potential he has. He's just been pretty frustrating in his career thus far.

Only problem with the trade is Burke is so stubborn, and after already stating last season that, "as long as i'm GM of the Leafs, Schenn won't be traded", he probably won't trade him. I could see a trade like Keith Aulie (basically a less known, less skilled version of Schenn) + one of our AHL defensive prospects for JVR. I'm no GM though, so I don't know. Just kind of throwing it out there.

Lol yeah. That wouldn't surprise me...

But on a serious note, if there is something in the new CBA that allows for easy buy outs of shitty contracts with no cap hit, I would be soooooo happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_17RHGKNTY

So, the Flyers traded for Pavel Kubina (pending that they first unload another contract to stay under the maximum of 50). He is definitely a huge upgrade over Bourdon, but I don't like the idea of giving up MORE draft picks (a 2nd and a 4th).

Wonder if there is another shoe to drop at some point soon.

So, the Flyers traded for Pavel Kubina (pending that they first unload another contract to stay under the maximum of 50). He is definitely a huge upgrade over Bourdon, but I don't like the idea of giving up MORE draft picks (a 2nd and a 4th).

Wonder if there is another shoe to drop at some point soon.

If they can re-sign Kubina, it will have been a great trade. If they don't end up re-signing him, it was still not that bad.

Yeah I guess so. It just annoys me a bit because now more than ever, the Flyers need to be focussing on the draft. And in the past 3 days, they have traded away 4 picks. Main reason I wanted them to completely stand pat. I still am a big fan of the Grossman trade, but Kubina is just overkill. It will be nice for the remainder of this season though.

Yeah I guess so. It just annoys me a bit because now more than ever, the Flyers need to be focussing on the draft. And in the past 3 days, they have traded away 4 picks. Main reason I wanted them to completely stand pat. I still am a big fan of the Grossman trade, but Kubina is just overkill. It will be nice for the remainder of this season though.

Thats something the Red wings have always been able to do. With a mix of good scouting and always keeping their draft picks for the most part, they are a consistently good team every year. Something I wish the leafs would do.

As a general rule, I tend to avoid the blog "Crossing Broad" since I cannot stand the guy who runs it. However, I feel like this story needs to be shared (assuming it is true...and based on what I have heard from Bryz so far this season, I have no reason to believe it isn't true).

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2012/02/ilya-bryzgalov-to-fan-you-care-too-much.html

Just....wow. 8 more years of this, huh?

The Flyers won tonight, thanks in large part to Wayne Simmonds and James van Riemsdyk absolutely taking over in the 3rd/OT. But this was 9 seconds away from being yet another loss in which the goaltending was the difference. Ondrej Pavelec was insanely good, and as usual, Bryz was just meh at best.

But all in all, what an awesome win. Jags now the all time leader in OT goals.

Deadline passes and the Flyers do nothing. Couldn't be happier. Losing all those draft picks for Kubina and Grossman still stings a bit, but they are probably worth it, even if they're just rentals. I am mostly happy that JvR/Schenn/Couturier/Bobrovsky were not traded.

• 2 weeks later...

This game tonight is huge. Can't really afford to get swept in a home-and-home by the Devils. Unless the goal is the 6 seed (which may actually be ideal now, especially with Crosby coming back). However, the most important thing this team can do is play well going into the playoffs. Not really too concerned about seeding, since one way or the other. We will need to go through Pittsburgh/Boston/New York to get through the East.