Philadelphia Flyers 2011-12

Phightins

Outshoot opposition 32-16: check. Lose by 4 goals regardless: also check.

Remarkably frustrating loss. Bryz really needs to be better. I am in full-on panic mode over his contract right now.

Winter Classic tomorrow. Really wish I could go, but there is no way I am paying $350 for a seat where I won't even be able to see the rink. I will be at the Phantoms/Bears game down at CBP on Friday though.

via CrossingBroad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I2xIcca3f8

If there was ever a cliché wrapped up in one 45 second video, this is it... Flyers fans fighting Rangers fans waiting in line to get cheesesteaks.

This is one is pretty sickening.

H/T to (@wyshynski) and (@nickgrgas)

Edited by iMan

It's a shame. Philly definitely gets more flack as an entire fanbase than they should, but then you have tards like this who completely tarnish any sort of repaired reputation the city is trying to maintain. You have guys who get it, and you have guys who don't.

There are some intelligent comments, and then this guy strolls along and derails the entire conversation:

illadelph20 on January 4, 2012 at 1:51 am

wtf were they thinking, ya we’ll just stroll down to the heart of south philly at pats and geno’s and get a cheesesteak? you’re in philly wearing rangers jerseys after a heated rivalry game, probably said something stupid and took a concrete nap. You better be rolling pretty deep in any city if your going to wear a rivals gear, common sense.

dudebro on January 4, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Hey illadelph, im guessing they thought the city of Philadelphia was populated by human beings instead of retarded neanderthals. I agree, rookie mistake.

I thought this one was funny, though:

If the officials from the Winter Classic were working as Philly cops, Callahan would have been arrested for assault.
:lol:

Personally, I've been to a Sixers game in a Knicks jersey and a Flyers game in neutral colors. Two different cultures, I wouldn't have dared to wear my Rangers jersey to the Flyers game. It's just a shame, Philly has some diehard, intelligent, respectful, dedicated fans.. but they get drowned out by the imbeciles.

Nobody believes me when I say this, but at 9 games out of every 10 that I attend, nothing like this happens. Unfortunately, you can't predict where the idiots will be sitting. I am in the same Phillies seat for basically every game, so maybe I am just lucky and happen to be in a good area, fan-wise. IDK. Flyers games are a bit more unpredictable. This year I actually haven't seen much at the games I have gone to. Did have one guy challenge me to a fight, but that's about it. Obviously we were both Flyers fans so it wasn't motivated by wearing enemy colors or anything. People are just dumb.

Potentially great news if true...

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2012/1/4/2682669/flyers-rangers-fan-fight-genos-steaks-winter-classic

If this is actually the guy who did it, he really is exactly as dumb as I expected. He should not be permitted to breed.

If serious, this Timonen injury is potentially lethal. He is probably the last guy we can afford to lose long term right now, even more-so than Giroux.

*Patiently waits for Holmgren to package Schenn with a 1st round pick to get a mediocre rental defenseman*

Kimmo is in the lineup today. Great news.

Also, I went to the Phantoms/Bears game last night at CBP. Incredible crowd. 46,000 people to watch an AHL game. Great mix of Flyers, Capitals, Phantoms, Bears, and other random fans. Great weather too. And, oh yeah, it was an awesome game. Ben Holmstrom scored with 21 seconds left to send the game to OT, and Shane Harper scored the OT winner. The Phantoms really impressed me as a whole. I didn't think they were really in the same class as the Bears, but I thought the game was pretty evenly matched. The Bears clearly have more individual talent (which scares me as a Flyers fan, the Caps should be great for years to come unless they screw something up big time), but the Phantoms hung in there and eventually got the W.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/381198_10150537001219743_512989742_8556117_1347892455_n.jpg

JvR out indefinitely with a concussion. Guess we can forget about those Schenn rumors for a while.

Concussions!!!

This is the hit that supposedly did it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzVmjN4CDeQ&feature=youtu.be

I bet Denis Potvin feels special now after that embellishment rant.

Interested to see how the goaltending situation continues to play out. Seems like Lavy just wants to ride the hot hand (Bob), which is understandable since Bob is clearly the better goalie, but I am guessing there is pressure from the suits upstairs to get Bryz into games. Bryz played last night in Nashville. Even though he got the loss, I don't think he was terrible, but it seems like the team plays better/harder in front of Bob. Maybe I am just imagining things.

Generally not wise to wait until the final 10 minutes to begin playing hard. If Bob wasn't playing out of his mind again (or if we were playing any team other than the Islanders), this could have easily been a 6-1 or 7-1 game. Really rough games for Giroux and Schenn in particular. Bad turnovers all over the place.

On a side note, John Tavares is very good.

On a side note, John Tavares is very good.

Definitely.

Too bad he has absolutely nothing to work with on the Island. Moulson isn't bad or anything, but it is clear that Tavares makes him look much, much better than he is. Same thing for Parenteau.

Put him with a Marty St. Louis and he is nearly as productive as Stamkos in my opinion. He wouldn't put up the 50-55 goals that Stammer does, but I would not be surprised at all to see him be a 40 goal/50-55 assist type of guy if he actually had some actual high end talent to play with.

Love his game.

Jagr groin and Briere concussion in the same game. And Rinaldo gets hurt also. Unless they want to roll with 7 defensemen, at least two Phantoms will need to be called up for the Bruins game tomorrow.

Not good at all.

Jagr groin and Briere concussion in the same game. And Rinaldo gets hurt also. Unless they want to roll with 7 defensemen, at least two Phantoms will need to be called up for the Bruins game tomorrow.

Not good at all.

Sure enough, Ben Holmstrom and Tom Sestito called up.

Only bright spot of all these injuries....really looking forward to seeing Schenn and Couturier get to work on the top 2 lines. Couts in particular. We've seen flashes of brilliance from the Read-Couturier-Simmonds line the past two games.

Worst officiating I have seen this season. Voracek called for tripping on a clean hit (no leg contact at all), Seguin scores on PP. Then Coburn taken out of play illegally by Horton....textbook interference, but no call, and Lucic scores as a direct result. Then Bryz gets mauled, fights back a bit, and he gets the only penalty. 3-1 Boston, 2 incredibly BS goals. Awesome.

Not to mention Chris Kelly getting away with a textbook instigator. Schenn leveled Kampfer on a clean hit and Kelly start a fight.

Edited by Phightins