Philadelphia Flyers 2011-12

Phightins

• 2 weeks later...

Outshot the Devs 24-1 in the 3rd. Still fell a bit short. 6-4 final. Hopefully some momentum heading into tomorrow's gigantic game with the Rangers, at the very least.

Obviously though, losing by 2 goals sucks, especially when 2 Devils goals were direct results of poor officiating.

Absolutely horrendous goal given up by Bryz with 5 seconds left in the 2nd. In a year of brutal goals, this may be his worst. I am still trying to figure out how he let that leak in. The Rangers do not blow 3rd period leads.

Rofl, after the game Torts said the 2nd Ranger goal was "horse shit" and that he'd be furious if Bryz was his goalie. Awesome. Now if only somebody in the Flyers organization would take notice....

Yeah Flyers goalie is not very good lol but the Rangers have been awful most of my life so glad to see they're pickin it up this yr and are ballin out wit 1st place

Edited by JYD

“I thought we played a decent game,” Timonen said after a crushing goal allowed by Ilya Bryzgalov to end the second period and two bad defensive giveaways in the third led to the Flyers’ fourth loss in four tries this season against the Rangers.

“It didn’t go our way,” Timonen added. Then, when asked what he thought the difference was in the game, Timonen quietly but just as quickly responded, “the goalie.”

http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2012/02/05/sports/doc4f2f422c9db2f285810560.txt

Kind of shocking to hear this coming from Kimmo. Wouldn't expect him to call out a teammate like that.

It is quite true though.

Rick Nash is reportedly on the trading block. There were Columbus scouts at both Flyers games this past weekend. Paul Holmgren was seen having a lengthy conversation with Scott Howson. Naturally, there are a lot of Flyers fans and writers trying to put two and two together...

Homer, don't even think about it. For the love of god, no.

Your GM needs to make up his mind on what he is doing. If you're going to trade for Nash, why did you even move Richards (or Carter) in the first place? I realize they play different positions, but still, you're going to have to give up the same assets that you got for Richards in the first place.

Not to mention Nash is one of the most overrated players in the entire NHL.

Edited by Check my Stats

Your GM needs to make up his mind on what he is doing. If you're going to trade for Nash, why did you even move Richards (or Carter) in the first place? I realize they play different positions, but still, you're going to have to give up the same assets that you got for Richards in the first place.

Not to mention Nash is one of the most overrated players in the entire NHL.

Well, for the record, there is no confirmation that he is going for Nash, it's just speculation.

But yes I agree, if he does trade for Nash, there are big big problems.

How do you feel about Philly being interested in Luke Schenn?

Mixed feelings.

Chris Pronger's career is likely done and Kimmo Timonen isn't getting any younger. So in that regard, it would be nice to have a young defenseman in the organization with Schenn's potential. Right now the cupboard is pretty bare.

On the other hand, I would really like to see management resist all urges and stand pat for now. Schenn, or a similar player, would be costly. Literally all of our current valuable assets are already contributing in the NHL. To get a guy like Schenn, we'd be giving up a major part of both the present and the future. I really feel like the Flyers have an incredible young nucleus and I'd hate to see them mess it up. Obviously, the one big hole (specifically referring to the "young" part) is on defense, but I don't want to see them mess with this group. Let them develop together over the next few seasons. Some of the poor salary cap decisions the team has made over the past few seasons will probably interfere with this plan more than any trade would, though.

However, if there is anything to that van Riemsdyk-for-Schenn straight up trade, the Flyers probably have to do it. But really I don't see why the Maple Leafs would want that, aside from Brian Burke's apparent obsession with JvR.

BTW, sorry to give such a long-winded answer to such a short question, lol.

Edited by Phightins

Mixed feelings.

Chris Pronger's career is likely done and Kimmo Timonen isn't getting any younger. So in that regard, it would be nice to have a young defenseman in the organization with Schenn's potential. Right now the cupboard is pretty bare.

On the other hand, I would really like to see management resist all urges and stand pat for now. Schenn, or a similar player, would be costly. Literally all of our current valuable assets are already contributing in the NHL. To get a guy like Schenn, we'd be giving up a major part of both the present and the future. I really feel like the Flyers have an incredible young nucleus and I'd hate to see them mess it up. Obviously, the one big hole (specifically referring to the "young" part) is on defense, but I don't want to see them mess with this group. Let them develop together over the next few seasons. Some of the poor salary cap decisions the team has made over the past few seasons will probably interfere with this plan more than any trade would, though.

However, if there is anything to that van Riemsdyk-for-Schenn straight up trade, the Flyers probably have to do it. But really I don't see why the Maple Leafs would want that, aside from Brian Burke's apparent obsession with JvR.

BTW, sorry to give such a long-winded answer to such a short question, lol.

I personally think Van Riemsdyk for Schenn straight up would be a good trade for us. I haven't watched Philly much this year besides when they have played the Leafs, so I don't know how good James has been. I do know however, that Schenn has been struggling. He is probably the most turnover prone defense man on our team, including mike Komisarek. He just seems to get lazy on some plays and just tries chipping the puck over a guy along the boards, and usually the guy just stops it and keeps it in. When he actually tries to make a pass to someone, its is almost always inaccurate and it just becomes a turnover again.

The Leafs have a huge abundance of top defensive prospects and losing Schenn for a guy like Van riemsdyk would probably benefit the Leafs now and in the long run.