General Hockey Thread 2011-2012

Built Ford Tough

I hope the Flyers enjoy the Pronger's and Bryzgolov's cap hit for the next 4-5 years.

It sucks that Pronger may have to retire, and it sucks worse for the Flyers that his cap hit will remain no matter what.........

I suspect Bryzgalov will be given every chance to justify his contract over the next 2-3 seasons, but if he is still a complete bust at that point, they can buy him out and save a considerable amount of cap space. I doubt they do anything this drastic soon (as in, within the next 2-3 seasons), but there is no way they will let this nonsense drag out for 9 years.

Haven't put as much thought into the Pronger situation. I think that, all in all, we are screwed there. However I think the team will be able to find ways to make small savings here and there (LTIR, perhaps an eventual buy out).

This is all pending on the new CBA though. Hopefully the new CBA makes it easier to buy out players, not harder.

I can't wait for the Bruins to sign Parise in the off-season though. It's going to be amazing, and hopefully he can help the Bruins to a three-peat.

Quote saved and put aside until June.

Quote saved and put aside until June.

There's only one team in the Eastern Conference that I would be very concerned with, and that is the New York Rangers. I'm not too concerned about the Penguins, even though they have the best player in the NHL, and I think the Flyers goaltending, or lack thereof, will come back to bite them

If the Bruins are "healthy" come playoff time, I still think they are the best team in the Eastern Conference, and probably the NHL, but I do NOT like playing the Rangers at all, not one bit.

Three team trade today. Kyle Quincey to Detroit, Steve Downie to Colorado, DET first round pick to Tampa.

Good trade for all three teams IMO. Although I think Tampa maybe should have just kept Quincey. He's a solid young defense man. Maybe they're looking to draft Malcolm Subban, who might be available at Detroits pick?

Parise to Boston? Guess you are planning on letting Rask walk?

Not to mention Seguin, Lucic, Marchand, Horton will all need new contracts following next year.

Weird, I didn't know that UFA's required compensation such as Rask.......

Savard will be on LTIR, and I think Thomas may be gone next year, and that's roughly 10 mil between the two of them. I'm not saying I want Thomas gone though.

Not to mention Parise thinks highly of the Bruins. I'd bet if he doesn't re-sign with the Devils, he will be on the Bruins next year.

Weird, I didn't know that UFA's required compensation such as Rask.......

Savard will be on LTIR, and I think Thomas may be gone next year, and that's roughly 10 mil between the two of them. I'm not saying I want Thomas gone though.

Not to mention Parise thinks highly of the Bruins. I'd bet if he doesn't re-sign with the Devils, he will be on the Bruins next year.

You can count on someone signing Rask to a very, very nice offer sheet if Boston doesn't lock him up very quickly, which is probably pretty likely (just look at all the other top end RFAs lately... Rask would be a moron to not at least hear from other teams before locking in, but then again crazier things have happened). I seriously doubt Boston even risks losing him for someone like Parise who they don't even need, at least not as much as they will need Rask a couple years from now.

Parise is going to be commanding Brad Richards type of money to start from, especially after the solid type of year he is rounding out into this year after missing an entire season.

If they dump Thomas for nothing, then okay you might have something. But I still think Thomas is a year or two from being moved, but then again I am not overly familiar with the situation. But even then, I think it is way less certain than you are making it out to be. I haven't heard a single rumbling of Parise to Boston.. any chance you could provide a link? Not being a dick just curious, haven't heard rumblings of him to anywhere actually, seems he's been pretty tight lipped.

Bottom line, I seriously doubt Boston is going to rush into locking into a deal paying Parise probably around 7M annually with guys like Seguin, Lucic, Horton and Rask all due for nice new contracts all in the next 2 years. I just find it hard to believe the best team in the east (sorry New York) is going to make such a big splash with so many uncertainties financially in the near future.

For the record, I think Parise will stick with the Devils.

Edited by Check my Stats

You can count on someone signing Rask to a very, very nice offer sheet if Boston doesn't lock him up very quickly, which is probably pretty likely (just look at all the other top end RFAs lately... Rask would be a moron to not at least hear from other teams before locking in, but then again crazier things have happened). I seriously doubt Boston even risks losing him for someone like Parise who they don't even need, at least not as much as they will need Rask a couple years from now.

Parise is going to be commanding Brad Richards type of money to start from, especially after the solid type of year he is rounding out into this year after missing an entire season.

If they dump Thomas for nothing, then okay you might have something. But I still think Thomas is a year or two from being moved, but then again I am not overly familiar with the situation. But even then, I think it is way less certain than you are making it out to be. I haven't heard a single rumbling of Parise to Boston.. any chance you could provide a link? Not being a dick just curious, haven't heard rumblings of him to anywhere actually, seems he's been pretty tight lipped.

Bottom line, I seriously doubt Boston is going to rush into locking into a deal paying Parise probably around 7M annually with guys like Seguin, Lucic, Horton and Rask all due for nice new contracts all in the next 2 years. I just find it hard to believe the best team in the east (sorry New York) is going to make such a big splash with so many uncertainties financially in the near future.

For the record, I think Parise will stick with the Devils.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2011/11/free_agent_to_be_zach_parise_w.html

He's mirin' those banners. I'd have to find the other link I'm looking for, but I remember this one too. He'd be a perfect fit on the Bruins as well with Claude Julien at the helm. However, I haven't stated it here before, but I had been against going after Parise in the past. I'm not sure if he's the game-breaker some people think he is.

I do think there's a good chance Thomas is gone after this year. There's no way Rask is going to be a back-up for another season, and teams will be offering him lots of money. Factor in the whole political saga with Thomas, and I think it's very possible he is gone. Also, who knows what's going to happen with Horton? I hope he's back, but who knows.

Now, here's what the Bruins should do, hoping the cap goes up over the next few years.

Ryan Spooner+Jared Knight+2012 1st+2012 2nd

For:

Jeff Carter

Sign Parise in the off-season.

Trade Thomas (don't want him traded, but I have to in this scenario)

Place Savard on LTIR

Three-peat on the way............... :glasses: .

I'm surprised Howson is actually allowed to make trades but I guess he is gotta save his job some how. Can't believe he didn't get any of their goalies though. Bernier might be a hot prize right now but they at least have Jeff Zatkoff and Martin Jones. Heck, Columbus has Manny Legace as their AHL goaltender which says a lot.

Stammer now tied with Malkin in points this year (although he has played quite a few less games which is definitely significant). Stamkos has really come a long way, and has pulled far away from the "product of St. Louis" label. Malkin is without a doubt the best player in the league playing right now, but Stamkos is definitely in that group right now with Datsyuk, Malkin, etc imo, if he wasn't already (wasn't for me before the year).

If Tampa can make a big run and get into the playoffs, the race for the MVP will be very interesting between him and Malkin. Giroux should be in the mix too, but for some reason I just feel like he won't be, even though he has been nothing short of stellar.

Also, just realized that Radim Vrbata just pushed into the TOP 5 in goals this year. You know it is a pretty dry year at the top of the scoring leaders when guys like Vrbata and Hartnell are in the top 10. Good players, don't get me wrong, but damn.

Stammer now tied with Malkin in points this year (although he has played quite a few less games which is definitely significant). Stamkos has really come a long way, and has pulled far away from the "product of St. Louis" label. Malkin is without a doubt the best player in the league playing right now, but Stamkos is definitely in that group right now with Datsyuk, Malkin, etc imo, if he wasn't already (wasn't for me before the year).

If Tampa can make a big run and get into the playoffs, the race for the MVP will be very interesting between him and Malkin. Giroux should be in the mix too, but for some reason I just feel like he won't be, even though he has been nothing short of stellar.

Also, just realized that Radim Vrbata just pushed into the TOP 5 in goals this year. You know it is a pretty dry year at the top of the scoring leaders when guys like Vrbata and Hartnell are in the top 10. Good players, don't get me wrong, but damn.

Martin Hanzal has a lot to do with Vrbata recent burst out. Great combination between the two. It's just a shame Phoenix does not have ownership.