General Hockey Thread 2011-2012

Built Ford Tough

I'd have given him 10 games personally. No place in the game for taking someone out low like that. It is one thing when there is incidental contact to the head, or when the puck carrier is (often) skating irresponsibly prior to contact to the head, but in this instance Marchand went out of his way to execute an extremely dangerous hit. It is lucky Salo didn't get hurt on the play.

How Marchand doesn't get muffed after that play is beyond me, absolutely no accountability. Shannahan can do all he wants with suspensions, but it is the players who are going to have to police the game. Players rush to jump in when someone gets smashed cleanly in open ice, but when a class act like Salo gets clipped like that, no one is breaking Marchand's face? A disgrace as far as I am concerned. If the Canucks weren't Canadian, they might quite possibly be my least favourite team ever.

To be clear I'm not on the Burke crybaby bandwagon... I have no problem with the Colton Orrs of the league being gone, but you don't need to be a designated fighter to keep the "rats" in line.

Edited by Check my Stats

All Star Game rosters will be announced today. Which means there will inevitably be bitching by fans of 29 of the 30 teams (Ottawa being the exception).

Personally, I don't put any stock into any ASGs anymore, and I just enjoy them for what they are (a fun celebration of the sport). Although it would be AWESOME to see Scott Hartnell make it this year. Mostly so we can see (and laugh at) him in the skills competition.

All Star Game rosters will be announced today. Which means there will inevitably be bitching by fans of 29 of the 30 teams (Ottawa being the exception).

Personally, I don't put any stock into any ASGs anymore, and I just enjoy them for what they are (a fun celebration of the sport). Although it would be AWESOME to see Scott Hartnell make it this year. Mostly so we can see (and laugh at) him in the skills competition.

And just as I post this, it's announced that Hartnell is not on the roster. :(

Injury replacement maybe? One can hope!

Full roster:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=76666

The fact that Ovechkin is there over multiple other forwards having better seasons tells you what the NHL's real goal is here. And I am OK with that. In America (and I assume Russia) Ovechkin single handedly generates TV ratings and merchandise sales. (Although it would be nice to see guys like Hartnell, Kris Versteeg or James Neal get a chance to play).

Also I am pretty stoked for the rookie game.

Edited by Phightins

It would have been interesting if Ovie didn't make it honestly, just for his response, maybe that would motivate him. The guy is an absolute enigma now.

Leafs with 3 all-stars, though Phaneuf is pretty borderline, Lupul and Kessel definitely deserved to be there. I can't remember the last time the Leafs had 3 all-stars, or even 2 for that matter.

Edited by Check my Stats

This relates to two of the most talked about teams here, and I wasn't sure which thread to post it in so I'll just put it here...

Lots of JvR for Luke Schenn chatter today. It's obvious why the Flyers want Schenn, but I really don't want to trade JvR (or any of our young forwards). This is why I have always been more in favor of going after a Tim Gleason or Bryan Allen type, but Holmgren has always been a fan of making a big splash. And Brian Burke has always coveted JvR, supposedly, so I guess the interest there isn't surprising.

What do you guys (specifically the Toronto guys) think?

Edited by Phightins

This relates to two of the most talked about teams here, and I wasn't sure which thread to post it in so I'll just put it here...

Lots of JvR for Luke Schenn chatter today. It's obvious why the Flyers want Schenn, but I really don't want to trade JvR (or any of our young forwards). This is why I have always been more in favor of going after a Tim Gleason or Bryan Allen type, but Holmgren has always been a fan of making a big splash. And Brian Burke has always coveted JvR, supposedly, so I guess the interest there isn't surprising.

What do you guys (specifically the Toronto guys) think?

Great trade for Toronto IMO.

Great trade for Toronto IMO.

Maybe.

Personally I am warming up to it from a Flyers perspective. It comes down to positional value. Seems like a trade where both teams could greatly benefit.

But, who knows if this deal was/is ever actually on the table, or what the full details are.

I wouldn't hate it, but I wouldn't be jumping for joy if it happened, either.

I fully admit that I am a huge Schenn homer and he is my favourite Leaf player, along with Grabovski. JvR is good, young, has potential, would fill the need of size in the Leafs top 6 and has playoff experience.

I just love Schenn's physicallity, mean streak and think that he is the type of defenseman who you absolutely need on Stanley Cup winning team.

So I am pretty neutral on the idea.

If the Leafs do trade Schenn I'd rather see them use him as part of a package for a legit number 1 center as opposed to getting a winger since they are deep on the wings with Kessel, Lupul, Kulemin, Kadri and MacArthur.

Leafs have enough fringe first/second liners, and Schenn is one of our best remaining assets, so like BFT, I too would rather see him moved for an upgrade (with us adding other pieces). It is a pretty lateral move, and our forwards are actually already pretty good.

I feel like Schenn is the kind of defenseman that you neglect when you have him, but once he is gone, you will wish you had him back, especially come playoff time. I am a huge fan of the kid, and I hope that the only situation we move him, is for a legit first line player (looking at Anaheim).

Edited by Check my Stats

2013 Winter Classic will be Red Wings-Maple Leafs at Michigan Stadium. It is official, according to the Detroit Free Press.

Kind of surprised that a Canadian team will be involved, but I am excited already.

2013 Winter Classic will be Red Wings-Maple Leafs at Michigan Stadium. It is official, according to the Detroit Free Press.

Kind of surprised that a Canadian team will be involved, but I am excited already.

They put the Leafs in the game so that it would be guaranteed to sell out. Michigan stadium fits, what, 115,000 people? It wouldn't look all that great if they weren't able to sell out. You put the Leafs in the game and it is definitely going to sell out, espeically since Detroit isn't much of a drive from Toronto and the GTA.

In other news, Alfredsson and Chara were named captains for the All-Star game.

They put the Leafs in the game so that it would be guaranteed to sell out. Michigan stadium fits, what, 115,000 people? It wouldn't look all that great if they weren't able to sell out. You put the Leafs in the game and it is definitely going to sell out, espeically since Detroit isn't much of a drive from Toronto and the GTA.

Yup. It's gonna be ridiculously cool. Kind of surprised NBC signed off on it, though, since their audience is literally cut in half from what it potentially could have been. Or maybe they don't have as much power in this as I thought.

Edited by Phightins

Hopefully we have a legit team by that time next year. Should be cool though, I am going to do quite a bit in my power to get tickets for that. It would be wild.

Good luck. That's what I said about the Winter Classic this year and I still got shut out (and I live 10 minutes from the stadium). Ticket pricing is absurd. Even though there will be 110,000 tickets to be sold, I'd imagine pricing will still be ridiculous.

Another injury that has gotten too much talk due to who it happened too.

Yes, a helmet would have stopped the damage of the incident but he said himself that it was to his throat. If it was his throat, do they start forcing players to wear throat protectors?

I've started to realize how much TSN beats topics to death almost just to have something to talk about rather than focusing on hockey itself like the uprising of a few surprise teams this year.