General Hockey Thread 2011-2012

Built Ford Tough

So...big news today. NHL realignment officially approved. Going to 4 "conferences".

1. Canucks, Flames, Oilers, Kings, Sharks, Ducks, Avalanche, Coyotes

2. Red Wings, Blues, Blackhawks, Jets, Wild, Stars, Predators, Blue Jackets

3. Flyers, Devils, Rangers, Islanders, Penguins, Capitals, Hurricanes

4. Bruins, Maple Leafs, Sabres, Canadiens, Senators, Lightning, Panthers

Much more logical for travel purposes (except for Tampa and Florida, that is kind of weird). Also, every team will play every other team at least twice per season.

Edited by Phightins

Initial thought...I am not a huge fan. Maybe this will grow on me. I am mostly upset because the Flyers northeast rivalries will be totally gone now. Not to mention, our road to the postseason is significantly tougher than it is for, say, the Bruins.

Wonder what happens with Phoenix? Thought they might have put Tampa or Florida with Carolina to open a spot for Quebec but must not be in the plans.

Yeah it is very interesting. Looks like they left themselves with some options in case Phoenix moves by having 16 teams out west and 14 east. If they come east, they could easily be put in either "conference", and it would balance out the east/west thing. If they stay out west, the NHL still has the option of moving Detroit/Columbus/Nashville to one of the eastern conferences.

I honestly just prefer how it is now. I get it for scheduling, but I wish for playoffs the top of the 8 seed system remained, and the best 8 teams from the combined 2 conferences just made it, opposed to the top 4 from each. I would be fine with the top 2 in each of the 4 conferences were automatically awarded home ice or something.

Idk, I read somewhere that with this system, LA would have missed the playoffs last year, and that would be absolutely stupid.

Edited by Check my Stats

Crosby is out with concussion like symptoms again and there is no timetable for his return.

This situation is looking way too similar to what Eric Lindros went through, and it would be an absolute shame if we get robbed from seeing one of the all-time great players play because of concussions, or any injury for that matter.

Kings fired Terry Murray last night.

Can't say I blame them as many people expected the Kings to contend for a top 3 seed in the West and yet they are currently in something like 12th place and among the lowest scoring teams in the NHL. When you have as much talent on the roster as the Kings do, there really isn't any excuse for them to be on the outside looking in of the playoff picture.

There is speculation that they might hire Darryl Sutter as their next head coach. It would be great to see him behind a bench again because he has basically fallen off the face of the earth after leaving Calgary. Dude could be dead for all we know. :lol:

I am happy for John Stevens. Would be really cool if the Kings go on a hot streak, and they remove the "interim" tag from his title. I think he is a hell of a coach who got a pretty undeserved bad rap here in Philly.

Kyle Turris to Ottawa. About time.

Nice haul for the Yotes. Runblad and a 2nd for a player who was clearly not in their plans? I'll take that kind of haul anyday.

Unless Turris completely breaks out in Ottawa and lives up to his draft position, I think that Phoenix wins this trade easily. I honestly don't even know if Turris will be better than Runblad, unless his attitude completely changes, while I think Runblad is going to be a very dangerous offensive defenseman who can quaterback a PP in a few years.

On the other hand, Turris does have number 1 center potential and with Spezza already on the roster, a 1-2 center punch of Spezza and Turris could be lethal, if Turris reaches his potential.

• 3 weeks later...

I am sure I am in the minority, but I am pretty happy about that.

Also, lets all be thankful that ECN isn't around to gloat about the Bruins these days, because oh my goodness that team is good.

5 may be a tad bit harsh, but he definitely deserves to be suspended. I'd have maybe gone 3.

ECN, to nobody's surprise, thinks he deserved 0 games. Just had a nice long argument with him on AIM.

5 may be a tad bit harsh, but he definitely deserves to be suspended. I'd have maybe gone 3.

ECN, to nobody's surprise, thinks he deserved 0 games. Just had a nice long argument with him on AIM.

I think the fact that he went shoulder to shoulder with Salo about 10 seconds earlier, threw the gloved punch at the back of Salo as he skated away and then did this on the exact same play where he went shoulder to shoulder earlier made it kind of obvious that he was trying to do more than just win a puck battle there. There was intent and I think that was what made him get 5 as opposed to 3.

He obviously should've been suspended, though. There is no way in hell that anybody other than a huge homer could look at that play and think that he didn't deserve a suspension.

I think the fact that he went shoulder to shoulder with Salo about 10 seconds earlier, threw the gloved punch at the back of Salo as he skated away and then did this on the exact same play where he went shoulder to shoulder earlier made it kind of obvious that he was trying to do more than just win a puck battle there. There was intent and I think that was what made him get 5 as opposed to 3.

He obviously should've been suspended, though. There is no way in hell that anybody other than a huge homer could look at that play and think that he didn't deserve a suspension.

Oh I agree completely. There was absolutely malicious intent. I was just trying to appease the butt-hurt Bruins fans by saying 5 may be harsh :).

But honestly, after watching the incident several more times, I am now wondering if 5 isn't enough. Absolutely brutal.