General Hockey Thread 2011-2012

Built Ford Tough

Rangers lose 5-3. Played really great following the 3rd goal for NJ. Then mid way thru the 3rd period, they were either really tired or changed their approach to more conservative, and it absolutely backfired either way...

I'm not confident going into game six Friday, but wouldn't say I'd be shocked if they won in NJ.

Edited by JYD

Haven't been confident in the team since game 1. What do you expect when you allow 3 goals in the first 10 minutes? Oh well, at least we're young?

Well they fought back and got it to 3-3...i was hoping they'd continue to play the style that got them back into it which was so much more agressive. they got very few chances after they tied the score. they looked so content going to OT.

Maybe they were exhausted (would be reasonable)...I really don't know if it was a tactical thing or a fatigue issue but the momentum started to swing back to new jersey after the 10 min mark

Well they fought back and got it to 3-3...i was hoping they'd continue to play the style that got them back into it which was so much more agressive. they got very few chances after they tied the score. they looked so content going to OT.

Maybe they were exhausted (would be reasonable)...I really don't know if it was a tactical thing or a fatigue issue but the momentum started to swing back to new jersey after the 10 min mark

They were absolutely tired, they had to dig out of a 3-0 hole against an extremely hardworking team

They were absolutely tired, they had to dig out of a 3-0 hole against an extremely hardworking team

Fair enough. Just seemed like once they got the goal they changed their approach. I dunno

I still think the Rangers can come back in the series. They'll have to start stepping up but I think Torts can get them going. I want the LA vs. NY final.

That'd be sweet. I still believe. Lundqvist was the worst he's been all playoffs in game 5. Not sure if he was sick, or just had a bad game.

If Lundqvist bounces back I'm confident the Rangers can score 2-3 goals.

Oh well.. completely surpassed expectations this year, and I had a blast watching them, no matter how badly they struggled in the playoffs. We're young, and we'll be back. Congrats to the Devils for advancing.

Heartbroken.

• Like 1

Did Lundvist get injured earlier in the series or something? I missed games three and four so I can't comment on any sort of specifics or anything like that, but he just seemed to be a completely different goalie in the last two games. I haven't seen him look this bad in a long time.

Sucks for the Ranger fans on here, but I think you guys can admit that the Rangers really didn't deserve to win this series. You can't expect to win when you are coming out completely flat and digging yourself a multiple goal hole early in both games.

I don't think anybody realistically expected them to make it this far anyways.

Oh well.. completely surpassed expectations this year, and I had a blast watching them, no matter how badly they struggled in the playoffs. We're young, and we'll be back. Congrats to the Devils for advancing.

Heartbroken.

Did Lundvist get injured earlier in the series or something? I missed games three and four so I can't comment on any sort of specifics or anything like that, but he just seemed to be a completely different goalie in the last two games. I haven't seen him look this bad in a long time.

Sucks for the Ranger fans on here, but I think you guys can admit that the Rangers really didn't deserve to win this series. You can't expect to win when you are coming out completely flat and digging yourself a multiple goal hole early in both games.

I don't think anybody realistically expected them to make it this far anyways.

Agreed. But as far as Henrik... the difficulty of saves went way up the last three games. Actually, even in game 3 that the Rangers won, Lundqvist was borderline lucky to be honest...

The Rangers started putting their defenseman up because they just couldn't generate enough offense, leading to more 2 on 1's and 3 on 2's, forcing a lot tougher saves for Lundqvist. In the Caps series the Rangers got out to a lead several times and were able to play their conservative style.

It was a fun year to watch them, didn't watch them too much during the regular season to be honest, only about 20-30 games out of the 82...but they were definitely good all year but they are still far from a great team. They could use some more scoring, and I think Kreider could bring that in more ice time and now some experience under his belt.

they are still far from a great team.

The defense is elite, the goaltending is elite.. they are a Parise/Nash and a few role players away from returning as a top tier club. They have absolutely the best outlook of any Rangers squad I've watched.

The defense is elite, the goaltending is elite.. they are a Parise/Nash and a few role players away from returning as a top tier club. They have absolutely the best outlook of any Rangers squad I've watched.

Oh yeah well the majority of my life they've been pretty bad lol. Growing up my friends always gave me shit living in NJ and being a Rangers fan. I was the only Rangers fan I knew growing up actually now that I think about it

They definitely have talent and a lot of good young players. But I won't retract my statement that I think they are far from being GREAT. If they had a Parise/Nash maybe that'd change some things for my outlook, but I still think that until the become more explosive it's hard to tell how good they are...because the Devils were definitely the better team in this series.

Wow, so Parise would consider signing with New York this summer?

because the Devils were definitely the better team in this series.

Absolutely, and I feel that a ton of that was how much quicker they were on the boards and how they got to pucks first, and trapped us in the zone on the forecheck. Playing two 7 game series had the team on tired legs, no matter what Torts wants to tell us.

Wow, so Parise would consider signing with New York this summer?

I don't see why not, we'll have money and he knows the market and the area. He's actually a picture perfect fit for the team, blue collar guy. His father said last round of series that NY would be a perfect fit for him next year, though for obvious reasons he "clarified" the comments a few days later.

He'll certainly have his suitors and the Devils may make a big push to keep him, but I don't think NY is unreasonable.

Absolutely, and I feel that a ton of that was how much quicker they were on the boards and how they got to pucks first, and trapped us in the zone on the forecheck. Playing two 7 game series had the team on tired legs, no matter what Torts wants to tell us.

Agreed. It had to take a toll.

The Devils had so many "surges" (as the announcers were calling them) where they'd just pass the puck around in the offensive zone, as if they were on a power play. Rangers just couldn't get the puck out any many times it ended up costing them. Lundqvist gave up far more rebounds this series than the last two...maybe even combine. Fatigue? Maybe. It was also a case of the Devils outplaying the Rangers though, too.

I don't see why not, we'll have money and he knows the market and the area. He's actually a picture perfect fit for the team, blue collar guy. His father said last round of series that NY would be a perfect fit for him next year, though for obvious reasons he "clarified" the comments a few days later.

He'll certainly have his suitors and the Devils may make a big push to keep him, but I don't think NY is unreasonable.

Ah. Is he considered the most coveted free agent this summer?

I highly doubt Parise leaves New Jersey now. They will have the money to keep him and they are now in the Stanley Cup Finals. If they didn't make the Stanley Cup Finals, I'd say there would have been a good chance for him to sign elsewhere, but I think the Devils success so far in the playoffs means he'll be staying in New Jersey.

This is so awesome. It really does give hope to a fan like me that a team like NJ can go from a lottery team one year to the finals the next. I fully expect NJ to get bodied in the finals but still, it gives me hope as a fan of a bad team.

It sucks for NY but they are gonna be right back here next year. I think they have minor moves to make but they have a good core there. I'd consider moving Gabby tbh. Just ain't a player that I would want to rely on in the playoffs, so soft.

C/s the Parise notion, but iunno man he's gotta realize that Brodeur is so old and their window is pretty small, and there is nothing in the pipeline. Their core is nice but that'll only get you so far if you're goalie is shit (with Brodeur leaving soon presumably). I don't know how he doens't give NY or BOS a serious look.

Edited by Check my Stats