Montreal Canadiens thread

Universe

Montreal is really going to miss Wiz in this game, though. Mara is a solid stay at home defenseman and all, but the Habs literally have one defenseman who can move the puck now in Subban. He is going to have to play a lot of minutes tonight considering his shut down role and the fact that he is the only reliable puck move that the Canadians have back there. Quite a lot to ask of him.

Boston definitely needs to target Subban every time he has the puck and make sure to finish their checks on him because wearing him out will really put a hurting on the Habs defense.

You can see the result of this already as the Habs have definitely had their troubles clearing the zone during the first 8 minutes or so of the game.

Subban played that 5-3 perfectly. The Bruins were cheating over to him way too much and he read it very well. Very nice pass from him cross ice to Cammalleri for the one timer. Thomas had absolutely no chance to save that one.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Brutal hit from behind by Lucic.

I don't think he was intending to injure Spacek like he did, but when you are staring at a guys numbers and still drive the guy into the boards with such force like that, you just don't finish your hit like that. Absolutely worth the major (although the game miscounduct is debatable).

Spacek is done for the game for sure and I wouldn't be surprised to see him miss game 7 if there is one, especially considering Montreal's arena is notorious for the hard glass they have.

EDIT: Ouch, tough break for the B's as Bergeron puts the puck over the glass about 30 seconds into the major. Not only does it hurt to go down 2 men, but losing Bergeron, who is undoubtedly the best defensive forward for the Bruins, makes it even worse.

Eller is a beast. Didn't realize he was that strong to send Chara flyng like that. :lol:

This game has had some awesome dives with Subban's in the first (loved how he turned his head to see where the ref ways before going down, haha) and now that one from Chara. Can't wait to see how epic the next dive will be.

PS: Nice shot by Plekanec on the shorthanded breakaway. The Habs have come out in the 2nd period like the Bruins did in the 1st.

I don't know what happened to the Bruins, though. They were absolutely flying and all over the Habs in the first, yet they decide to come out in the 2nd and sit on a one goal lead? Baffling.

Beauty when Montreal should be on the PP. Least we are going to lose with class.

The high stick is what would anger me the most. Don't know who the Bruin player was that knocked it down, but the stick was definitely high.

Have no fear, though, PK is here. What a shot. That was ridiculous.

I don't really care who wins (I guess I'm cheering for Montreal just because they are Canadian and because there is the possibility that a Boston loss makes their draft pick more valuable for the Leafs), but I just hope this game goes into overtime so that the series isn't decided on a blown call like it was looking to be.

PS: How big are those Price saves right after the B's 3rd goal now? His save on the Kelly breakaway, the glove save he made and one other one are absolutely huge now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Our defense signed into next year so far:

XXX - XXX

Gill - Subban

Emelin - Spacek

Diaz

So that leaves Markov, Gorges, Wiz and maybe one of Mara and Sopel if we don't go after a free agent defensemen.

For the rest of the holes on the team, we need to find a center with a high faceoff percentage who can also play in the offensive zone so we don't have to worry about entering the zone to get a scoring chance.

Maxime Talbot has said he's interested in Montreal if the Penguins don't want his services anymore so that could be an option but should be an exciting offseason.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of small holes being filled with contracts that were expected. Markov is rumoured to be signing for two years which is what most have been signed for. Can't wait till draft day.

Too bad he'll only play about 2 games during that time-span as well, and I'm hearing the offer is a very high cap hit of over 6+ mil. He's not worth that much money coming off of his injuries.

I don't think they desperately need him either. I think Subban could fill his role and then some.

Too bad he'll only play about 2 games during that time-span as well, and I'm hearing the offer is a very high cap hit of over 6+ mil. He's not worth that much money coming off of his injuries.

I don't think they desperately need him either. I think Subban could fill his role and then some.

If he is even half the player he was before, he is still miles better than Subban.

I figured I knew a lot of players in the draft this year but Montreal managed to pick all guys I've never heard of.

Beaulieu was a great steal. A winner who will get a chance to play for Canada this fall. Another great pick up IMO is Magnus Nygren. An overager who is one heck of a offensive defensemen and will be ready to come over A LOT sooner than the rest.

The theme was defense. Five of our picks went towards the blue line and on top of that have put Emlin, Diaz and Joe into the Hamilton/Montreal system. What does this mean? Next years draft will be all forwards which makes sense as this draft was low in high potential forwards aside from the first round.

It also looks like Benoit Pouliot will be let go. Another guy who will get nothing in return and most likely make himself into a decent 3rd line winger.

Brian Gionta doing work getting Erik Cole to come play in Montreal. Slight overpayment that can come back and bite us in the ass but the dude has like 18 points in 13 games or something in the Bell Centre.

PG made possibly the worst deal of the day paying more for Budaj than just keeping Alex Auld. Aside from Ned Flanders, there is nothing good about him.

I would guess who we might go after next but I'm sure they'll do something stupid.

Damn, I wanted Cole on the Flyers. But yeah that's kind of a lot of money...

At 4.5 per, he's only the seventh highest paid Canadien which is excellent for a 6'2 body that fits perfectly into the speed system....it's the four years I'm worried about.