Philadelphia Flyers!

fly3rs18

emery was signed as the starter and they signed boucher as the backup

its so funny that they got boucher back. when i was little i used to love that guy. i dont really know why (because he wasnt that good). he was originally why i had the 33 in my old sn (flyersrule9733).

You aren't little anymore?

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well unless it is an injury to Emery, I disagree. The dude is talented, but as you definitely know, the issue is between the ears. He was flat out told that if he screws this chance up, he is out of the league and never getting another chance. Is he stupid enough to mess this up again? Well we don't know for sure, but I doubt it. It has been laid out for him that if he behaves himself and plays to his potential, not only will he get to stay in the league but he has a pretty decent chance of getting a good contract somewhere next offseason.

I'd be shocked if he [expletive]s up again, but yeah it remains to be seen.

Oh no, I'm not underrating him. I've always known what he could do. Two years ago when no NHL team picked him up and he wound up in the AHL I was shocked...the guy is a very serviceable backup and I was happy for him when San Jose picked him up. I just don't think the guy has what it takes to play the majority of an NHL schedule. Couldn't be happier with having him as a backup though.

boucher is the streakiest player ever though. he had that streak on phoenix when he had w/e straight shutout periods, but there were also times where he was awful. you cant judge him just by his number of shutouts. im not saying he is bad though

and i think emery will be fine. im sure the flyers talked to him like crazy before signing him and know a ton more about him then everyone else. i trust holmgren and i think emery will be fine

Schedule released today...

Flyers schedule is kind of weird. Tons of home games in the beginning of the year and tons of road games towards the end. They also have I think 3 west coast trips.

Winter Classic at Fenway should be sick though. If I had a little more cash I'd buy Flyers season tickets this year because apparently that guarantees tickets to that, even though it's technically a road game.

Only good thing about the Flyers is that I like being them in 09 because of how fast they are, it's a shame they don't have a goalie.

I'm telling ya, don't sleep on Ray Emery.

He's from Canada so he knows what a effed up indivual Emery is too.

I know all about his past too. All I am saying is that if the man speaks a word of truth about getting his character in line, he may wind up being the steal of the offseason. I have a really good feeling about it.

I know all about his past too. All I am saying is that if the man speaks a word of truth about getting his character in line, he may wind up being the steal of the offseason. I have a really good feeling about it.

You guys already have the steal of the offseason in Pronger. ;)

I'm telling ya, don't sleep on Ray Emery.

Emery isn't even that good to begin with and it's only a matter of time until he explodes. He couldn't even keep his cool on the Russian team he played for. Every team he plays for he explodes causing them to get rid of his [expletive]. I'm not a big fan of the signing and I don't even think there's a back-up goalie as of now? Hopefully Emery proves me wrong, but I don't like him.

Luckily the Flyers got Pronger though which is going to help Emery out big time.

Edited by Diesel

Lol Emery is like Trevor Ariza with a bad attitude. He's a nice player to have, not a stud, not worth paying a huge amount of money to. The only difference is Emery is an egghead. He's an aight goalie, he isn't a goalie on a championship team IMO, but you could argue otherwise with the Wings.

Emery isn't even that good to begin with and it's only a matter of time until he explodes. He couldn't even keep his cool on the Russian team he played for. Every team he plays for he explodes causing them to get rid of his [expletive]. I'm not a big fan of the signing and I don't even think there's a back-up goalie as of now? Hopefully Emery proves me wrong, but I don't like him.

Luckily the Flyers got Pronger though which is going to help Emery out big time.

You have probably never seen him play to begin with. You can look up statistics all you want, but they don't tell any of the story. When he has the right attitude he is a talented goalie and could very well become one of the biggest steals of this year's free agency.

I just don't get why you are so convinced that it is a "matter of time until he explodes". If you were a professional athlete with his track record and it was laid out for you that if you [expletive] up again you are out of the league with no shot of ever signing a contract again, don't you think it'd make you shape up even a little bit? In Ottawa he thought he was invincible and could get away with whatever he wanted to do, but now he's been given a dose of reality and told that if he loses it again this year, he will be in all likelihood flipping burgers at a McDonalds in Hamilton next year. Now hey, perhaps he is crazier than we all thought, and that isn't enough to get his [expletive] in line, but honestly I'd bet it isn't the case.

Also remember that if he "explodes" as you put it, there are guys like Chris Pronger and Mike Richards in the locker room who won't let it get out of hand. I don't think he really had that in Ottawa...that team was a mess from top to bottom the year he had his falling out with them.

And yes, we do have a backup goalie. Brian Boucher was signed two and a half weeks ago.

Edited by Phightins09

Lol Emery is like Trevor Ariza with a bad attitude. He's a nice player to have, not a stud, not worth paying a huge amount of money to. The only difference is Emery is an egghead. He's an aight goalie, he isn't a goalie on a championship team IMO, but you could argue otherwise with the Wings.

Agreed...he isn't a franchise goalie by any means (although I believe he is a lot more talented than people are giving him credit for) but in the right situation he can be very successful...just look at the year he took the Senators to the finals.

Edited by Phightins09

emery led ottawa to the stanley cup finals 2 years back, and they really didnt have that good defense, this years flyers is a huge upgrade for him. there is no question that the guy has a ton of talent. his stats are pretty good too (dont have time to post them right now).

if he can keep his head in the game then it will be a great signing. and there is a lot of leadership on the flyers with pronger, timonen, and richards to keep him in line. i dont think it is a "matter of time" thing

You have probably never seen him play to begin with. You can look up statistics all you want, but they don't tell any of the story. When he has the right attitude he is a talented goalie and could very well become one of the biggest steals of this year's free agency.

I just don't get why you are so convinced that it is a "matter of time until he explodes". If you were a professional athlete with his track record and it was laid out for you that if you [expletive] up again you are out of the league with no shot of ever signing a contract again, don't you think it'd make you shape up even a little bit? In Ottawa he thought he was invincible and could get away with whatever he wanted to do, but now he's been given a dose of reality and told that if he loses it again this year, he will be in all likelihood flipping burgers at a McDonalds in Hamilton next year. Now hey, perhaps he is crazier than we all thought, and that isn't enough to get his [expletive] in line, but honestly I'd bet it isn't the case.

Also remember that if he "explodes" as you put it, there are guys like Chris Pronger and Mike Richards in the locker room who won't let it get out of hand. I don't think he really had that in Ottawa...that team was a mess from top to bottom the year he had his falling out with them.

And yes, we do have a backup goalie. Brian Boucher was signed two and a half weeks ago.

You are making it seem like he's desprate for money. The dude played his best hockey when he was earning his pay and once he got it, his antics began.

Also, he had guys in the locker room before that couldn't help him because he's pretty much Sean Avery but in net.

Oh I've seen every game of Emery's career. I have them all on dvd. Biggest steal of Free Agency eh? Is that why noone else wanted him for the past 2 or however many years he's been out of the league? Sure your getting him for a good price, but the guy has NEVER behaved. Not even when he had a reason to in Russia to try and get back into the league. Look at it this way, the guy can't get a job in the NHL so he's playing overseas to try and repair his image and try and prove he's not a moron. What does he do? He has another incident and gets kicked off THE RUSSIAN TEAM. The flyers got him because their desperate for goaltending and he is a cheap option with some upside. Homer is rolling the dice though.

Pronger and Richards are good leaders, but I'm not sure their going to be able to talk Ray Emery out of whatever he's thinking. The guy was [expletive]ed up and if he does go off I wouldn't feel that comfortable with Brian Boucher as the sole goalie.

Edited by Diesel

Oh I've seen every game of Emery's career. I have them all on dvd. Biggest steal of Free Agency eh? Is that why noone else wanted him for the past 2 or however many years he's been out of the league? Sure your getting him for a good price, but the guy has NEVER behaved. Not even when he had a reason to in Russia to try and get back into the league. Look at it this way, the guy can't get a job in the NHL so he's playing overseas to try and repair his image and try and prove he's not a moron. What does he do? He has another incident and gets kicked off THE RUSSIAN TEAM. The flyers got him because their desperate for goaltending and he is a cheap option with some upside. Homer is rolling the dice though.

Pronger and Richards are good leaders, but I'm not sure their going to be able to talk Ray Emery out of whatever he's thinking. The guy was [expletive]ed up and if he does go off I wouldn't feel that comfortable with Brian Boucher as the sole goalie.

You nailed it right there...that has pretty much been my argument all along. You don't like the signing, but here is some news, if they had re-signed Biron, or signed any other starter-caliber goaltender, your man crush Chris Pronger would not be here. He is cheap, he has upside, and if there was ever a time for him to turn his character around it would be now. Why not roll the dice? I really think you are going to be surprised.

You don't think Spezza, Alfy, Redden and them are good leaders? This guy is a headcase and he probably isn't even that much better than Biron.

Well obviously something was incredibly wrong with that team...

And regardless of whether he is better than Biron (IMO when he is playing at his top level he is and it is no contest), he is way cheaper, which enabled the Flyers to go get Pronger and still be able to make some other moves.

You are making it seem like he's desprate for money. The dude played his best hockey when he was earning his pay and once he got it, his antics began.

Also, he had guys in the locker room before that couldn't help him because he's pretty much Sean Avery but in net.

The point I was making is that this is in all likelihood his last shot in the NHL. If he has a repeat of Ottawa here, I strongly doubt he ever signs an NHL contract again. That is what Flyers fans are banking on, at least.