General Hockey Thread 2010-2011

Phightins

I think it is kind of interesting you mention playoff production when Malkin only had marginally better playoff production, and this was due in large part because he wasn't facing the opponents best defensive players every shift. There is a reason all the attention is and was put on Crosby by opposing teams defensively in the playoffs. Despite this, Crosby still has more points in the same number of career games, not to mention Malkin is hardly even +. It just sucks both of them have to play with such mediocre wingers.

Malkin is a great player, elite, but Crosby is just on a whole other level right now where no one should be compared to him. On a side note it is nice to see Ovechkin not being mentioned next to Crosby anymore, he shouldn't have been in the first place, but at least now everyone sees it. If anything, arguing Malkin vs Ovechkin is more close and debatable, both have more flaws in their game than Crosby does.

I am curious, are you a fan of Alexei Kovalev?

You're just showing your ignorance right here. If you're going to say that Malkin's playoff run was "marginally" better, then you sure as hell can't say that Crosby and Ovechkin can't be compared. The Capitals as a whole are struggling right now, and you're one of those people that judges players on a day to day basis by your post. And, no, don't even try to compare the "Kovalev is more talented argument then everyone" to Malkin being a more skilled player than Crosby.

Crosby is great, but I have little doubt that Malkin will outperform everyone in the playoffs.

Winter Classic pushed back to 8pm due to weather concerns. Still will be on NBC in America.

This may also have a positive effect on ratings, since the game will only be competing with the Fiesta Bowl, as opposed to all of the afternoon games.

Dwayne Roloson to Tampa for Ty Wishart.

Does this mean another trade is on the horizon? Tampa now has Roloson, Ellis and Smith between the pipes and I can't see either Ellis or Smith being too thrilled with the idea of playing in the AHL or something like that.

I'm guessing one will be waived, unless they want to keep three goalies on the active roster for the time being.

This also probably means Evgeni Nabokov won't be back in the NHL this year. Tampa was the only logical fit for him.

Roloson shuts out the Capitals in his Tampa debut.

I don't know if anybody else feels this way, but I think that they could be a dark horse in the East this year if Roloson plays like he is capable of. With guys like Stamkos, St. Louis, Lecavailer, Gagne and Malone up front, they have the offensive talent to compete with basically anybody and if Roloson is able to steal a few games like he is capable of, I think they could go fairly deep if everything goes right.

With that said, I still think it will be a Pens/Flyers ECF.

Looks like Jamie Langenbrunner is going to Dallas. Flyers supposedly made an offer. He'd be a marked improvement over Zherdev so I'd definitely welcome here, but it sounds like the Dallas deal is all but done.

Looks like Jamie Langenbrunner is going to Dallas. Flyers supposedly made an offer. He'd be a marked improvement over Zherdev so I'd definitely welcome here, but it sounds like the Dallas deal is all but done.

I need to remind myself not to believe ANYTHING Eklund says, even when he says "100% done deal". Dude is a joke.

Flyers are still in play for Langenbrunner apparently, although I'd have to guess it's a long shot. Lou Lamiorello has never traded with the Flyers. Never.

I need to remind myself not to believe ANYTHING Eklund says, even when he says "100% done deal". Dude is a joke.

Flyers are still in play for Langenbrunner apparently, although I'd have to guess it's a long shot. Lou Lamiorello has never traded with the Flyers. Never.

It is a done deal now (to Dallas).

Langenbrunner for a conditional 2011 3rd (becomes a 2nd if the Stars win a playoff series or re-sign him).

It is a done deal now (to Dallas).

Langenbrunner for a conditional 2011 3rd (becomes a 2nd if the Stars win a playoff series or re-sign him).

Yeah. Eklund is still a moron.

Of course.

I can't believe you actually took anything he says seriously. You should know better, haha. :lol:

Well, I believe his quote on the Langenbrunner deal was that it is "100% done". Usually when he says that I can believe it, but I guess not!