General Hockey Thread 2011-2012

Built Ford Tough

What? The Senators have had the better of the Rangers this year, and Lundqvist has been a sieve lately, so we'll see if he chokes again..........(semi-choke).

I will assume you are still picking that Caps first round upset.

Negative. They aren't playing the Rangers.........

If the Bruins can beat the Capitals, and the Senators and continue their success against the Rangers this year, the Bruins would draw the Senators in the second round.........

u got canucks back in finals, they my fav

Negative. They aren't playing the Rangers.........

If the Bruins can beat the Capitals, and the Senators and continue their success against the Rangers this year, the Bruins would draw the Senators in the second round.........

Or, more likely, the Bruins draw one of the 3 Atlantic division teams that are better than them despite a lower seed in the 2nd round.

But I enjoy your optimism!

Or, more likely, the Bruins draw one of the 3 Atlantic division teams that are better than them despite a lower seed in the 2nd round.

But I enjoy your optimism!

The only way the Bruins would draw the Flyers or Penguins in the second round is if the Rangers win, which is very possible.

I wouldn't mind playing the Devils as of now.

I'm loving the animosity towards the playoff seeding system from you. If the Flyers won a few more games and took care of their business, they could have had the #1 seed.

The only way the Bruins would draw the Flyers or Penguins in the second round is if the Rangers win, which is very possible.

I wouldn't mind playing the Devils as of now.

I'm loving the animosity towards the playoff seeding system from you. If the Flyers won a few more games and took care of their business, they could have had the #1 seed.

This goes for the Bruins too. Doesn't really have anything to do with my prior complaints.

And for the record, I support the playoff system fully. Just so happens that the divisions are unbalanced this year and my team suffers as a result. I am fine with it though. Usually doesn't play out like this (to this much of an extreme, anyway).

How in the hell did the Rangers get the #1 seed in the East if they're incapable of beating both the #7 and #8 seeds? I've been deceived watching them all year.. pretending they weren't terrible. MEAN JOKE, RANGERS.

If regular season record has so much to say about how a playoff series will go, why were the Caps so surehandedly an upset when the Rangers outplayed them head-to-head all year? You're just finding every excuse to pick against the Rangers, which is curious to me.

Lundqvist choke? He hasn't had a matchup against a lower seeded team this decade. How is it choking when you aren't supposed to win? They won a series as a 5 and 6 seed, lost in the first round as a 6, 7, and 8 seed. Choking? No.. the team just wasn't good enough.

I'm done taking the anti-Rangers bait, though. I'll just wait to watch the games.

Just so this is clear, I do think that the Rangers will win.

However, I do know where ECN is coming from with the comments about the Sens. They have gotten the better of the Rangers for the last few years now (something like 11-2-1 in the last 14 games I think), including winning the season series this year.

Craig Anderson has never lost a game at MSG in his career (6-0).

I also believe both Spezza and Alfredsson play very well against the Rangers as well, and those two, along with Karlsson, are the catalysts of the Sens offense.

So just using past history I can understand why he would think that an upset is likely.

There is some clear anti-Rangers sentiment as well, though. That is for sure.

It might be a bit surprising, but I personally am absolutely pumped for the Nashville vs. Detroit matchup. Detroit is such a good team every year, and Nashville has really improved a lot from last year, and at the trade deadline they showed they're going all out for the cup this year. I'm cheering for Nashville this season.

Not surprising at all. I know a lot of people that are looking forward to that series more than any other. It should be a fantastic series.

How in the hell did the Rangers get the #1 seed in the East if they're incapable of beating both the #7 and #8 seeds? I've been deceived watching them all year.. pretending they weren't terrible. MEAN JOKE, RANGERS.

If regular season record has so much to say about how a playoff series will go, why were the Caps so surehandedly an upset when the Rangers outplayed them head-to-head all year? You're just finding every excuse to pick against the Rangers, which is curious to me.

Lundqvist choke? He hasn't had a matchup against a lower seeded team this decade. How is it choking when you aren't supposed to win? They won a series as a 5 and 6 seed, lost in the first round as a 6, 7, and 8 seed. Choking? No.. the team just wasn't good enough.

I'm done taking the anti-Rangers bait, though. I'll just wait to watch the games.

I have nothing against the Rangers at all. I have said it the entire season that I just don't trust their offense, and I need to see Lundqvist show up in the playoffs before I can trust him fully. I'm going overboard with the choking comments, but I just don't trust them.

Maybe I'll be wrong, but I just don't trust the Rangers. I'm not here saying that about the Flyers and Penguins, so there's no bias. I just see their offense hurting them in the end.

Is this real life?

:lol:

I would be surprised if the draft order stays the same come the draft, though. I just don't see Edmonton keeping that pick and taking Yakupov, as good as he is. I can definitely see them trading down to draft Murray or Dumba, perhaps even lower and taking one of Rielly, Trouba or Reinhart, depending on if they get an established young d-man with a pick int he 7-10 range.

If they do end up taking Yakupov, wow. Eberle, RNH, Yakupov and Hall is an absolutely sick young forward group to build around.

[media]

That franchise needs something good to happen to them.

Why? Because their management is horrid they deserve something to be handed to them? You don't see me sitting here saying the Leafs need something to be handed to them even though they have been horribly managed for over 10 years now.

Their fanbase might deserve better, but that franchise is an absolute joke, even if you ignore the whole Nash fiasco, or the fact they insist that Steve Mason is legit and wasn't just a 2 month fluke, they have just been so poorly managed over the years.. I mean really how many lottery picks can you botch? Picard, Brule, Brassard, Filatov, Johansen (juries still out), trade Couturier for Carter. They pick top 10 yearly but are still shit years later.

On a side note, Schenn+5+another pick or something like that for first overall? What do people think of that, shitty trade for EDM? I think that is something you could work from depending how you value Schenn.

Edited by Check my Stats

Depends on how highly Edmonton value guys like Dumba, Trouba, Rielly or Reinheart.

If it were me, I wouldn't do it as Murray would be my target and he would be gone at 5. I think Murray is going to be an elite defenseman for many years, the type of guy who can anchor a blueline, win a couple Norris', play in all situations and eat up 25+ minutes a night.

I can't wait for tonight!

For whatever reason I thought the Rangers and Senators were tonight as well, but I guess they're tomorrow.

I want to see some physical hockey from the Penguins and Flyers tonight!

Definitely.

In my opinion, the three games tonight are the three most interesting series. Philly/Pitt is an obvious one, then there is the Preds/Wings which should be great and the Kings/Nucks. All three series should be fantastic as the games are always fun to watch when they meet up.

Tough call on that no icing call for Philly, but the Pens were absolutely flying in that first period.

That was an awesome period of hockey. So fast paced and physical with some nice display of skill as well.

It just sucks the Preds/Wings game is on at basically the same time. Yip just had a puck go in off his skate to open the score in that game.

EDIT: Nevermind, Gaustad's pass went off Sturat's skate, not Yip's.