General Hockey Thread 2011-2012

Built Ford Tough

Whoever took Giroux in the 1st round of their playoff pool looks like a genius 3 days into the playoffs. Crazy game, didn't watch too closely but whenever I did it seemed Malkin's line was getting scored on. Just got continuously burnt on the rush it seemed.

I took him in my pool.

Too [expletive]ing bad I didn't go with what I had been wanting to go with right up until the playoffs, which was taking the Kings to beat the Canucks, but I changed my mind at the last second because I wanted to see a Bruins and Canucks rematch.

Also, I probably should have taken Detroit as well, but I still think this may be Nashville's time to beat them

Edited by BeeBeeSee

That's a bitch move by Carnaker. It was worse than I originally thought from the first replay they showed.

You can send a message, but don't put your team on a 5 minute OK to start the game.

Also, I hate that ejection of Dubinsky. What's he supposed to do there? Watch his teammate get the shit beaten out of him while the officials just.......well.........stand there?

I want the Senators to win, but that whole sequence was full off bull-shit.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but, good for Carkner.

Boyle throws, what, 4-5 unprovoked punches at Karlsson in game? Yeah they were gloved punches, but he still decided to target arguably the Sens best player and start throwing punches at him. I have no problem with targeting skill players to get them off their games, but punches and elbows to the head are taking it too far. So far in 5 periods Alfredsson and Karlsson have both received elbows to the head (Alfredsson left the game), Karlsson get a stick in the head (not the typical high sticking penalty either) and Karlsson got those punches in the head.

(Callahan also got a shot to the head in this game as well, which I didn't like at all)

Basically, if you take liberties on a teams skill players you better be ready to answer for it. There is a reason nobody (or very few people) takes deliberate cheap shots on the Bruins, Rangers or Flyers skill players and it is because you know that this kind of thing will happen if you do.

And hopefully that will be the last time I ever say something positive about the Sens. :lol:

EDIT: Let me clarify a bit. I don't love how Carkner threw the sucker punch, but I do like that it wasn't settled with a stupid stage fight. Those do nothing to show that there will be consequnces for going after a star player. What Carkner did will actually make a player think twice about doing something dirty or cheap. I doubt it really matters much now, though. Knowing the NHL, Carkner will probably be suspended for the series.

On another note, Canucks have officially said that Daniel Seding will not return in the series against the Kings. I don't think anybody is really surprised by that if you have been following the whoe situation at all. He was clearly not coming back in this series.

I have no problem with the Senators sending a message, as the Rangers have been the bigger tools this series outside of the Carnaker hit. I guess if you're going to get some revenge, get some good revenge so the other team will actually think twice about going after your star players.

Boyle is a total douche though.

And, I love how the Senators all stand up for each other. They have some really tough players on that team as well.

I have no problem with the Senators sending a message, as the Rangers have been the bigger tools this series outside of the Carnaker hit. I guess if you're going to get some revenge, get some good revenge so the other team will actually think twice about going after your star players.

Boyle is a total douche though.

And, I love how the Senators all stand up for each other. They have some really tough players on that team as well.

That is exactly it.

The whole staged fight revenge thing is so stupid and doesn't do a damn thing to prevent these kind of things. What Carkner did is much more likely to make somebody think twice about a cheap shot, not some staged fight.

You have to find a balance, though. Obviously I don't want another Bertuzzi and Moore incident but you have to show that there will be consequences for going after star players, especially when you have about 7 inches and 50+ pounds on the guay like Boyle has on Karlsson.

Basically, if you take liberties on a teams skill players you better be ready to answer for it.

Fair, but as a finesse rookie defenseman you also have to watch what you say about a player of the caliber of Lundqvist to the media. Absolutely some of the gameplan is centered around bodying Karlsson and throwing him off of his game, but some of the jabs stem from the jab (though minor) that he threw to the press.

Anyways, the Carkner bullshit came after a clean hit, and it was scummy as shit. Total bummer to lose that game in OT after what happened early. Poor job of clearing the zone, have to hope that McDonagh is ok.. if you're enforcing the 3rd man rule you have to do a better job of getting in there on a ground and pound. They were certainly quicker to break up the 2nd Boyle scrum :lol:

FWIW Boyle is one of my favorite players and is as blue collar as they come. He plays the game right/hard.

Can't understand the hate the Rangers get. Is it the NY reputation? Team full of hard workers who all hit, block shots, and play scrappy hockey.. total team effort on a nightly basis.

Oh well, bad loss tonight. Gotta come out firing in Ottawa.

Fair, but as a finesse rookie defenseman you also have to watch what you say about a player of the caliber of Lundqvist to the media. Absolutely some of the gameplan is centered around bodying Karlsson and throwing him off of his game, but some of the jabs stem from the jab (though minor) that he threw to the press.

Do you mean this comment:

“He’s had a good year and everyone’s happy for him, but hopefully it’s time for him to go home.”

???

I really don't see how that kind of comment warrants a dude punching you in the face 5 times, unless he said something else that I'm unaware of.

I've got absolutely no problem with the Rangers targeting Karlsson physically because you absolutely have to. He is an excellent player and will absolutely pick you apart if you give him time and space. I just didn't like the shots to the head he has received, just like I didn't like the shot to the head that Callahan got from Phillips, Hagelin's elbow on Alfredsson or Burns attempted elbow in the St. Louis game (can't remember who he tried to elbow, though). If Carkner did this completely unprovoked I'd absolutely hate it as well, more so than any of the other incidents tonight.

Anyways, the Carkner bullshit came after a clean hit, and it was scummy as shit.

What do you mean by this? The Carkner crap happened because of Boyle repeatedly punching Karlsson in that scrum. It had nothing to do with any hit.

I also don't think it was scummy at all. It is exactly the type of thing you want your enforcer to do in response to your star playing getting targeted with cheap shots. If this happened 20-30 years ago, people wouldn't even give it a second look.

Can't understand the hate the Rangers get. Is it the NY reputation? Team full of hard workers who all hit, block shots, and play scrappy hockey.. total team effort on a nightly basis.

I hope this isn't directed at me (I don't think it is) because I really don't have anything against the Rangers. I don't particularly like New York sports teams in general (or Boston) but I really don't have any problem with the Rangers.

I like the way they play as they play physically but rarely cross the line. The only real thing that I don't like about that team is Torts.

I'm actually rooting for the Rangers in this series.

Do you mean this comment:

???

I really don't see how that kind of comment warrants a dude punching you in the face 5 times, unless he said something else that I'm unaware of.

Ehh, punches, nudges.. same thing. Yes, that comment. I'm not saying it was warranted, and I don't think the retaliation from Carkner was warranted either.. both were above and beyond. But what looks like nothing to you and me looks like a slap coming from a rookie to an established star goalie, and his teammates who then feel compelled to do something about it, all based on how one player could have interpreted it.

I hate when people talk in the press.. "He's a great goalie and we'll have to work hard to beat him this series" plays out better, doesn't it? Especially from a kid his first year in the league? I didn't think it was a big deal either, but you can bet the Rangers did.

What do you mean by this? The Carkner crap happened because of Boyle repeatedly punching Karlsson in that scrum. It had nothing to do with any hit.

You are right, I saw it wrong. The hit was on Zack Smith.

I also don't think it was scummy at all. It is exactly the type of thing you want your enforcer to do in response to your star playing getting targeted. If this happened 20-30 years ago, people wouldn't even give it a second look.

It is scummy to throw a sucker punch and then rail haymakers on the guy after he's on the ice. I want my enforcer to lay a huge hit and then say something to the guy on the ice, or square up and pound the shit out of him (Boyle can't fight, turtle or not Carkner would have wrecked him).. but I hate the blind punch and I hate the hits on the ice.

I hope this isn't directed at me (I don't think it is) because I really don't have anything against the Rangers. I don't particularly like New York sports teams in general (or Boston) but I really don't have any problem with the Rangers.

No, more directed to ECN (and Check My Stats). More so ECN's hate and desire for the Sens to win. They are a completely unlikeable team and talked all week, you'd have to totally hate the Rangers or love an underdog (no matter who they are) to root for the Sens. Meh.

I like the way they play as they play physically but rarely cross the line. The only real thing that I don't like about that team is Torts.

I'm actually rooting for the Rangers in this series.

:)

Torts rubs everyone the wrong way, but he's exactly what this young team needs at HC (IMO).

Ehh, punches, nudges.. same thing. Yes, that comment. I'm not saying it was warranted, and I don't think the retaliation from Carkner was warranted either.. both were above and beyond. But what looks like nothing to you and me looks like a slap coming from a rookie to an established star goalie, and his teammates who then feel compelled to do something about it, all based on how one player could have interpreted it.

I hate when people talk in the press.. "He's a great goalie and we'll have to work hard to beat him this series" plays out better, doesn't it? Especially from a kid his first year in the league? I didn't think it was a big deal either, but you can bet the Rangers did.

Couple things.

Karlsson isn't a rookie (this is his 3rd year) and you are acting like Karlsson is Matt Gilroy or something.

Karlsson is arguably the most prolific offensive defenseman in the league, a near ppg d-man, a potential Norris candidate (I don't think his defensive game is at that level, but you know his 78 points will have voters bust a nut) and a budding superstar. As a Leaf fan, it absolutely pains me to say this, but it is true.

I get that he is still a young player but I honestly think the only way you can view those comments as something to get riled up over is if you are looking for something to pump yourself up about, which I'm sure the Rangers were doing.

It is scummy to throw a sucker punch and then rail haymakers on the guy after he's on the ice. I want my enforcer to lay a huge hit and then say something to the guy on the ice, or square up and pound the shit out of him (Boyle can't fight, turtle or not Carkner would have wrecked him).. but I hate the blind punch and I hate the hits on the ice.

Difference of viewpoints I guess, then. I grew up with a dad who has watched hockey for almost 55 years. He watched the Broad Street Bullies, the Flying Frenchman and the tough Maple Leaf and Bruin teams (among others) of the past and because of that, I wound up watching a bunch of old footage of those games growing up. His view on hockey is one of what you would expect from a guy who grew up in that era (think Don Cherry before he became a senile old bat) and those viewpoints were instilled on me and my brother. This kind of thing was basically an everday occurrence back then and so I'm used to it.

Like I said earlier, obviously I don't want another Bertuzzi-Moore incident or something like that, but I don't have a problem with what Carkner did. I can understand why somebody would, though.

Yes, since I have said the Rangers would lose in the first round, it means I must hate them.

I guess I love the Flyers too since I picked them to beat the Penguins?

I don't have much of a problem with the Rangers. They are very similar to the Bruins in many ways, but I just don't think they're good enough to win it all, that's it.

I'm not a huge Boyle fan, but at least he mans up when he needs to, or is asked to. I respect him for that, but I think he's somewhat of a douche.

As I said earlier, the Carnaker play was complete shit, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was done for the series. On the other hand, I like the way the Senators responded for the rest of the game sticking up for their players.

What Boyle did to Karlsson in game one is something that Lucic would probably do, and I've said he's a cheap player sometimes, and that I don't always like the shit he pulls.

Anyways, I'm just hoping for a good series, and hopefully Karlsson and Spezza can score a lot because my playoff pool team is probably the worst team assembled in history.

Tim Thomas

Antti Niemi

Zdeno Chara

Brent Burns

Erik Karlsson

Duncan Keith

Evgeni Malkin

David Krejci

Marian Hossa

Joe Thornton

Jason Spezza

Ilya Kovalchuk

What the hell, man? I'm getting absolutely destroyed right now. I chose some of the players because you can lock them in for better prices during future rounds if you pick them in the first round. It's pretty fun to do, but I'm just getting destroyed right now.

I can't believe I took Joe Thornton over Claude Giroux. :lol: .

Karlsson isn't a rookie (this is his 3rd year) and you are acting like Karlsson is Matt Gilroy or something.

I AM BAD AT THIS

And I don't think he's Matt Gilroy. I know Matt Gilroy more than I want to know Matt Gilroy.

Karlsson is arguably the most prolific offensive defenseman in the league, a near ppg d-man, a potential Norris candidate (I don't think his defensive game is at that level, but you know his 78 points will have voters bust a nut) and a budding superstar. As a Leaf fan, it absolutely pains me to say this, but it is true.

Yes. He's great, I won't argue.

I get that he is still a young player but I honestly think the only way you can view those comments as something to get riled up over is if you are looking for something to pump yourself up about, which I'm sure the Rangers were doing.

Lots of beat writers were commenting on it leading up, added with the Melnyk comments. It means nothing to us, as I've already noted it was an overreaction. But to the Rangers, they're going to stick up for their prized possession, even if it's a few cute jabs just to show him that they have his back.

Difference of viewpoints I guess, then. I grew up with a dad who has watched hockey for almost 55 years. He watched the Broad Street Bullies, the Flying Frenchman and the tough Maple Leaf and Bruin teams (among others) of the past and because of that, I wound up watching a bunch of old footage of those games growing up. His view on hockey is one of what you would expect from a guy who grew up in that era (think Don Cherry before he became a senile old bat) and those viewpoints were instilled on me and my brother. This kind of thing was basically an everday occurrence back then and so I'm used to it.

Yeah, I don't have any of that background haha.. my brother was the first to introduce me to hockey, and he started watching the game on his own. I just see it as, you're a man, fight like a man, toe to toe. Sucker punches and hitting while on the ground piss me off in street fights, too.

Like I said earlier, obviously I don't want another Bertuzzi-Moore incident or something like that, but I don't have a problem with what Carkner did. I can understand why somebody would, though.

Right, just different sides of the glass. I do love debating with you though, lol.. knowledge is good to be thrown around.

Yes, since I have said the Rangers would lose in the first round, it means I must hate them.

I guess I love the Flyers too since I picked them to beat the Penguins?

I don't have much of a problem with the Rangers. They are very similar to the Bruins in many ways, but I just don't think they're good enough to win it all, that's it.

No, it's just a culmination of things. Hating on Lundqvist preseason, the Ranger related jabs you throw in general from time to time (though I know they're just to piss me off :lol:), saying they're a lock to lose against both the 7 and 8 seeds.. There's something against them for sure. I don't think you love the Flyers, I think you hate both the Flyers and Penguins lol

I'm not a huge Boyle fan, but at least he mans up when he needs to, or is asked to. I respect him for that, but I think he's somewhat of a douche.

Let me ask though, is it just because of this Karlsson incident? Because he's a pretty stand up guy.

As I said earlier, the Carnaker play was complete shit, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was done for the series. On the other hand, I like the way the Senators responded for the rest of the game sticking up for their players.

Yeah, and it was a total bummer to lose it after the Carkner shit. Total, total bummer. I liked that Boyle was able to respond with a goal, though.

Anyways, I'm just hoping for a good series, and hopefully Karlsson and Spezza can score a lot because my playoff pool team is probably the worst team assembled in history.

I like Spezza a lot, actually. He can get his.. just as long as we win :)

No, it's just a culmination of things. Hating on Lundqvist preseason, the Ranger related jabs you throw in general from time to time (though I know they're just to piss me off :lol:), saying they're a lock to lose against both the 7 and 8 seeds.. There's something against them for sure. I don't think you love the Flyers, I think you hate both the Flyers and Penguins lol

Let me ask though, is it just because of this Karlsson incident? Because he's a pretty stand up guy.

Yeah, and it was a total bummer to lose it after the Carkner shit. Total, total bummer. I liked that Boyle was able to respond with a goal, though.

I like Spezza a lot, actually. He can get his.. just as long as we win :)

Meh, I guess I don't dislike Boyle that much, but he just comes across as a tool sometimes. At least he stands up for himself when he pulls some of the stuff he does. He didn't have to go with Neil, but he did.

I don't dislike Lundqvist. Outside of Thomas, he's possibly my favorite goalie. I guess my knocks against him are more in defense of Tim Thomas sometimes, thinking he is still the best goalie in the NHL. I do still think that Lundqvist needs to prove himself in the playoffs though.

My knock on the Rangers the entire season has been the same thing all year, which is goal scoring. However, they seem to have been able to figure it out lately, so maybe they can surprise me. After watching the first two games of the Penguins and Flyers series, I would have to give serious consideration to picking the Rangers over both of those teams if they were to play. It's becoming more and more apparent that great goaltending is absolutely needed.

Putting the Capitals aside for a moment, the two teams that would scare me the most are the Flyers and Rangers. The Rangers make me nervous because of their style of play and success against the Bruins, and the Flyers because of their powerful offense and incredible offensive depth.

I'm not super confident with the Bruins right now either. It's the same story every year in the first round. The top two lines just aren't getting it done so far. They have no true offensive super-star. Yes, they have Seguin and some other talented forwards, but they still need to prove they can be consistent and take a game over.

If they survive this round, I'll be much more confident.

I'm absolutely loving the start of the playoffs and the amount of overtime games. What is that now, 7?

Boston - Washington twice including a double OT

STL - SJ once (went into double OT)

Philly - Pitt once

NY - Ottawa once

Phoenix - Chicago twice (both Chicago goals to tie came in the final 15 seconds)

By far my favourite time of year. I am pissed that I have to work tomorrow and will miss game 3 of the Flyers and Pens. Why couldn't that game be on at 3 PST instead of the NJ and Florida one? :(

In other news, I guess I jumped the gun on Sedin. I read that he was ruled out for the series but according to the Canucks, he is only ruled out for the next two games in LA. I still highly doubt he plays, though.

Also, Hagelin has a hearing tomorrow at 1:30 EST. I'm sure Burns will get a talking to with his attempted elbow and same with Carkner but they haven't been announced yet.

Halak is day-to-day after leaving the game in the first period. St. Louis called up Jake Allen on an emergency basis.

I'm absolutely loving the start of the playoffs and the amount of overtime games. What is that now, 7?

Boston - Washington twice including a double OT

STL - SJ once (went into double OT)

Philly - Pitt once

NY - Ottawa once

Phoenix - Chicago twice (both Chicago goals to tie came in the final 15 seconds)

By far my favourite time of year. I am pissed that I have to work tomorrow and will miss game 3 of the Flyers and Pens. Why couldn't that game be on at 3 PST instead of the NJ and Florida one? :(

In other news, I guess I jumped the gun on Sedin. I read that he was ruled out for the series but according to the Canucks, he is only ruled out for the next two games in LA. I still highly doubt he plays, though.

Also, Hagelin has a hearing tomorrow at 1:30 EST. I'm sure Burns will get a talking to with his attempted elbow and same with Carkner but they haven't been announced yet.

Halak is day-to-day after leaving the game in the first period. St. Louis called up Jake Allen on an emergency basis.

The playoffs are always great, but I honestly don't remember a first round like this in a while.

Has there been a bad game or lopsided game yet? I'm thinking maybe only the Rangers and Senators in game one and the Kings and Canucks in game two.

The Bruins and Capitals games have taken off about six years of my life.

So Hagelin had a hearing today (as did Carkner), but Phillips didn't.. hmmm. From what I'm hearing, too, Hags will likely get a game. Which is more than even Weber got.

He just received a three game suspension. That is ridiculous.

Normally, based on the hit I would not have a problem with it, but by not giving Weber anything, this is just dumb, dumb, dumb, and some more dumb.

The Rangers got SHAFTED!

Oh, and on that note.

How many games for Asham?

Howe many games for Neal?

I'm going to guess four for Asham and none for Neal.

Edited by BeeBeeSee