General Hockey Thread 2010-2011

Phightins

Bullshit call :(

Sarcasm, right?

Because the green light to single the end of the period was clearly on before the puck crossed the line.

The Rags first goal (Christensen's PP goal) was a ridiculous shot. The way he picked the corner from that sharp angle and how the puck was in the net for about half a second was nuts.

Neuvrith went down way too early and that has been a problem of his all season, but still, that was a nasty shot.

Oh yeah, I love Dubinsky's 'stache. :lol:

PS: No suspension for Torres on his hit on Seabrook. Good call if you ask me. It was interference as Seabrook never touched the puck, but you can't put all the responsibility on the hitter when opposing players are skating with their head down knowing full well that they are in a position on the ice where hits frequently occur, like Seabrook was.

Sarcasm, right?

Because the green light to single the end of the period was clearly on before the puck crossed the line.

Yeah, I heard the explanation now. The live broadcast had 00.1 left on the clock when the puck disappeared from sight (and only used one side angle, the clear overhead was inexplicably ignored/not available).. so live, as it happened, I posted on here that it was bullshit.. looked bullshit to me.

The Rags first goal (Christensen's PP goal) was a ridiculous shot. The way he picked the corner from that sharp angle and how the puck was in the net for about half a second was nuts.

Neuvrith went down way too early and that has been a problem of his all season, but still, that was a nasty shot.

Ugh.. Rags. Painfully bad nickname, and I have to hear it from Philly/Pens/Devs fans throughout the season. Make it stoppppp :(

But the shot was insane.. as you said, ridiculous. Been waiting for Christensen to do something.. anything.. for a while.

Oh yeah, I love Dubinsky's 'stache. :lol:

[expletive] yeah, him and Boyle look awesome.. Mike Gartner throwback style. Love it.

The no-goal outrage was because NBC's clock was off by like, 2 tenths of a second. The Canadian viewers (and the war room in Toronto) saw the correct clock the entire time.

Edited by Phightins

The no-goal outrage was because NBC's clock was off by like, 2 tenths of a second. The Canadian viewers (and the war room in Toronto) saw the correct clock the entire time.

Ahh, didn't know that. I was wondering why there was so much outrage over that when it looked to me that it was pretty damn clear that the period was over.

Regardless of whether or not the clock is right or off by a tiny amount, you should always go by the green light in that situation anyways. That light is wired into the system and is always correct, unless somebody is tampering with the system. The minute that light goes on, the period is over (and the goal judges are unable to turn on the red goal light).

It makes sense to me now why there was so much outrage, though. I imagine people were basing it off of the time left on the clock instead of looking at the green light to single the end of the period.

Ugh.. Rags. Painfully bad nickname, and I have to hear it from Philly/Pens/Devs fans throughout the season. Make it stoppppp :(

But the shot was insane.. as you said, ridiculous. Been waiting for Christensen to do something.. anything.. for a while.

[expletive] yeah, him and Boyle look awesome.. Mike Gartner throwback style. Love it.

Trying being a Leafs fan and being called the Maple Laughs by pretty much every other fanbase in the NHL. :lol:

The best part about Dubinsky's 'stache is that it is clearly dyed or something. Take a look at picture of him from game 2 and compare it to game 3 and you can tell that is not natural. :lol:

Edited by Built Ford Tough

Phoenix deserves much better than what they are getting. No team that fights that hard to get into the playoffs should be hearing the other teams fans cheering as loud as Detriot fans were in their own arena.

I hope that team moves somewhere soon so a city can enjoy how much talent is on that team.

Well, apparently Versus will be rebranded this summer. It will get a new name (something NBC related). So I guess that's a bit better than what they have now, but the league could really use the ESPN exposure.

Wasn't the NHL on ESPN before Versus and it was a complete bust?

I don't know for sure considering I don't get ESPN, but for some reason that is what I remember.

I can't recall how long ago that was, but it can't have been too long, so would it really even make a difference getting on ESPN considering how little interest it had before? Or has hockey grown enough in the States to actually generate some buzz?

Oh yeah, Kunitz got one game for his elbow to Gagne's head and Downie got a game for his charge on Lovejoy.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

It was on ESPN pre-lockout. I wasn't really into sports business back then so I don't remember all of the specifics. But when they came back from the lockout, they got the new deal with NBC and Versus. The biggest issue was that the lockout did a ton of damage to the league's popularity in many parts of the country, and the lack of a deal with a mainstream sports network didn't help rebuild it.

A deal with ESPN would be great mostly because of the extra commercials and spots on SportsCenter. As of now, all the NHL gets is a 5 second spot for "highlights" at the end of the show. And obviously, the games would be available to more people.

The NHL is making $200 million a year with the new deal with Versus, which is $80 million more than ESPN had given during their previous contract.

A big reason ESPN did not get rights was because it was too hard for the NHL and ESPN to work around NBA and Versus' matching rights for the NHL, which they included in their previous contract.

I don't think anybody's confused why they didn't go to ESPN, it's just unfortunate for the popularity of the sport

Versus is going to be renamed with a name having something to do with NBC, so it will be completely revamped. So, they should get even more exposure with that change.

Most NHL executives favored ESPN, but the logistics of the deal was too tough to get around.

Versus is going to be renamed with a name having something to do with NBC, so it will be completely revamped. So, they should get even more exposure with that change.

Most NHL executives favored ESPN, but the logistics of the deal was too tough to get around.

They need to get other big time sporting events on Versus (or w/e the new name will be). Otherwise, it will still just be some random network buried among other random channels. The issue is attracting other American sports fans who are impartial to hockey. They won't go out of their way to see a game on Versus. A new name should help, but I am not sure how much.

Yeah, more is good.. but it still won't sniff the exposure they'd get on ESPN.

They need to get other big time sporting events on Versus (or w/e the new name will be). Otherwise, it will still just be some random network buried among other random channels. The issue is attracting other American sports fans who are impartial to hockey. They won't go out of their way to see a game on Versus. A new name should help, but I am not sure how much.

I'm sure the NHL wouldn't be buried during the NFL and NBA season......