General Hockey Thread 2011-2012

Built Ford Tough

RNH might not be as good a prospect as the past handful of top picks (debatable for Hall, I prefer RNH personally as I think Hall is going to wind up killing himself in a game before he is 25), but that doesn't mean he is a bad prospect by any means. Seems like he has first line talent without a doubt.

The biggest knock against him, by the sounds of things, is his size. Which if true, is something that is definitely fixable, hockey IQ, talent and natural ability, however, typically are not.

I just want to see these reports ECN is talking about because I have yet to read anything in that regard aside from his size.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=29823

Bob Mckenzie's draft rankings before last season started and RNH was sitting third. He then went and almost doubled his point total while the top ranked Couturier stayed around the same. I've read scouting reports saying his vision was comparable to a young #99 but haven't seen one stating he's the worst number one since Erik but of course that could be made up until I see what ECN was reading. If anything, his hype was died down due to the fact Oilers were drafting for the second time at number one.

I can't find them, but I will.

It's funny though because you'll act like you're not saying RNH was not the least hyped out of the past few 1st overalls, but that's exactly what you are saying.

So, once again, you can answer my question, that requires no sources.

Which of the following 1st overall picks was RNH more hyped then, or thought to be more talented than?

1. Kane

2. Stamkos

3. Tavares

4. Hall

And, Pierre McGuire said RNH should be sent down last night, and didn't say that about any of the other players I listed, if I remember correctly.

I can't find them, but I will.

It's funny though because you'll act like you're not saying RNH was not the least hyped out of the past few 1st overalls, but that's exactly what you are saying.

So, once again, you can answer my question, that requires no sources.

Which of the following 1st overall picks was RNH more hyped then, or thought to be more talented than?

1. Kane

2. Stamkos

3. Tavares

4. Hall

And, Pierre McGuire said RNH should be sent down last night, and didn't say that about any of the other players I listed, if I remember correctly.

I'm not saying any of that I just want you to back up what you say with sources.

Edited by Universe

I don't remember for sure, but when Stamkos struggled for the first half of his rookie season I think there was talk about how he should've spent another year with Sarnia. Obviously it was more of a coaching issue and he had a great 2nd half but there was talk about how he should've spent another year in the O, at least as far as I remember.

I'm not disagreeing with you, though. I do agree that Nugent-Hopkins is the least hyped of the recent first overall picks. However, watching him for the first couple of games has made me second guess my opinion of him. I thought Edmonton should've drafted Larsson 1st overall as I didn't think RNH was all that special but he definitely looks like he could end up being better than Taylor Hall or Patrick Kane. I'd still take both of them over him if a draft had all three, but he has closed the gap in my minds.

Of course, it is only 4 games and 4 games alone won't make my opinion of him change as I will need to see a lot more from him. He does look like he is going to be better than I thought, though.

I also didn't understand why RNH would be taken over an obvious glaring hole for the Edmonton Oilers but the dude is pure talent. Not a fan and really don't care how he turns out (other than maybe Team Canada) but I can't deny how good he is.

Like I said above, the hype was died down with the Oilers having the first pick for the second time in two years and I believe their team made a great decision. Best overall player with the first pick and then filled the holes perfectly with Klefbom and Musil later on.

Again ECN, I'm not arguing whose more hype but I'd sure like to see those reports unless you were lying?

I know I read multiple reports and articles talking about the past four 1st overall picks compared to RNH, with RNH being the least hyped. I don't remember the exact articles as I've been looking for them, but I know there were multiple scouting reports/articles making those comparisons.

Also, you can stop the act like "I just want to see them....not that I disagree". It's 100% obvious that you completely disagree.

Also, Kane, Stamkos, and Tavares were pretty much the consensus #1 overall picks for most of their last OHL seasons, and Hall was more hyped and sought after than Seguin.

RNH was not #1 for a while, as Couturier was supposed to be the #1 pick for a while. RNH came on strong at the end of the season, and ended up being taken #1 overall.

Again, do you think RNH was better at draft time and more coveted or whatever you would like to call it than Kane, Stamkoks, Tavares, and Hall?

I know I read multiple reports and articles talking about the past four 1st overall picks compared to RNH, with RNH being the least hyped. I don't remember the exact articles as I've been looking for them, but I know there were multiple scouting reports/articles making those comparisons.

Also, you can stop the act like "I just want to see them....not that I disagree". It's 100% obvious that you completely disagree.

Also, Kane, Stamkos, and Tavares were pretty much the consensus #1 overall picks for most of their last OHL seasons, and Hall was more hyped and sought after than Seguin.

RNH was not #1 for a while, as Couturier was supposed to be the #1 pick for a while. RNH came on strong at the end of the season, and ended up being taken #1 overall.

Again, do you think RNH was better at draft time and more coveted or whatever you would like to call it than Kane, Stamkoks, Tavares, and Hall?

Nice try covering up made up information. Like I said I truely don't care about RNH. I just wanted to call out your bullshit and it worked.

So does everything you write come from these sources?

:lol:

Nice try covering up made up information. Like I said I truely don't care about RNH. I just wanted to call out your bullshit and it worked.

So does everything you write come from these sources?

:lol:

What are you talking about? I remember multiple articles and scouting reports comparing recent 1st overall draft picks, and RNH was supposed to be the least hyped and talented out of all of them. That is all. I'm sorry I can't find articles right now from May/June.

So, if I am making this up or nobody said it, then it seems like you believe RNH was not the least hyped or sought after playert out of the players listed.

What are you talking about? I remember multiple articles and scouting reports comparing recent 1st overall draft picks, and RNH was supposed to be the least hyped and talented out of all of them. That is all. I'm sorry I can't find articles right now from May/June.

So, if I am making this up or nobody said it, then it seems like you believe RNH was not the least hyped or sought after playert out of the players listed.

Why do you always act confuse when you know you are wrong? You did this in the other thread as well and had to have someone spell it out for you so I'll try and slow it down for you by bolding.

I'm not saying RNH is anything. He's barely played yet but what I'm trying to figure out is why you said, "We'll see how he turns out, and if the scouts were correct about him being the worst 1st overall pick since Erik Johnson."

Can you not show me where the "scouts" said this?

What a great performance by the Caps, 5-0 to start the season, it hasn't been pretty but I'll take it. Probably the best game I've seen them play in a long time. No defensive lapses, and very few unforced errors, not it's time to show some consistency.

Vokoun looks very comfortable out there, he's playing much better than the first couple of games. If he keeps up this level of play, I'll feel a little better about our chances.. although I don't want to get too ahead of myself. Our defense still needs work.