General Hockey Thread 2011-2012

Built Ford Tough

I am thinking of the Caps fans.

Ahh, gotcha.

Johnathan Quick has recorded 3 straight shutouts, setting a new Kings record for the longest shutout streak in history in the process, and Terry Murray decided to not play him tonight against the Devils and going with Jonathan Bernier instead. Very interesting decision by Murray, especially since prior to the season he mentioned something about "riding the hot hand" when asked about his goaltending situation.

It must be nice to be the Kings, though. It isn't too often that a coach comes under a bit of criticism for starting a goalie as talented as Bernier.

I don't know what it will take for Quick to win the fans and the organization over. He was solid all last year, and was especially stellar in the series vs San Jose last year in the playoffs in my opinion (I would know, I was loaded with SJ guys in my fantasy pool and he helped keep it close), he was taking over 38 shots a game on average. By no means do I think Quick is an elite goalie or a yearly vezina candidate, or the kind of guy who can single-handedly carry a team, but I think he is definitely a terrific goalie to build with moving forward, especially considering he is only 25 in his 3rd full season (his rookie year he only had 44 games but I guess you can count it, in which case this is his 4th).

Edited by Check my Stats

Trashy hit on Henrik

Can't really blame Frattin for going hard to the net. The Rangers were doing it all night long and made contact with Gustavsson 3 or 4 times prior to that play.

I also wouldn't really call it trashy either. Its not like he went and ran him. He just made a strong move and ran out of room.

Can't really blame Frattin for going hard to the net. The Rangers were doing it all night long and made contact with Gustavsson 3 or 4 times prior to that play.

I also wouldn't really call it trashy either. Its not like he went and ran him. He just made a strong move and ran out of room.

The contact on Gustavsson is not comparable. Two light touches, and twice contacted into him by the defense (wrongly taking away a goal on at least one of them).

I'm not blaming Frattin for going at the net. I'm blaming him for making absolutely no effort to get out of the way and for driving through the goalie. It was a "payback" move for the check by Dubinsky and the Gusty contact. I think you're overlooking it if you think otherwise.

The contact on Gustavsson is not comparable. Two light touches, and twice contacted into him by the defense (wrongly taking away a goal on at least one of them).

I'm not blaming Frattin for going at the net. I'm blaming him for making absolutely no effort to get out of the way and for driving through the goalie. It was a "payback" move for the check by Dubinsky and the Gusty contact. I think you're overlooking it if you think otherwise.

Why is it not comparable? The Rags were going hard to the net during the first and made contact with Gus on multiple occasions. Frattin goes hard to the net and makes contact with Lundqvist. They are absolutely comparable. Yeah, Frattin hit Lundqvist harder but the situations are still very comparable.

How am I overlooking anything? Frattin went hard to the net and made contact with Lundqvist. That is what I said. I hardly see how it is trashy as Frattin made a play that you will see hundreds of times during the course of the season. To put it simply, it is a part of hockey, always has been, and always will be.

As for whether or not the goals should've counted, there is no argument for the 2nd one. It should've been a penalty to Callahan as he made absolutely no effort at all to avoid the goalie.

The first one wasn't so cut and dry as Komisarek did bump Callahan, but what exactly is Callahan doing standing in Gus' crease like that anyways? If Callahan doesn't cut through the crease (on his own accord) there is no issue and you have to allow goalies space to move. If Komisarek shoved him from outside of the crease into Gus, I agree that it should absolutely have counted, but he went in there on his own.

I would've been fine had the goal counted because it is debatable. I don't think the Rangers were robbed of a goal or anything like that, and I don't think the Leafs would've been screwed if the call went the other way.

Edited by The Great BFT

Why is it not comparable? The Rags were going hard to the net during the first and made contact with Gus on multiple occasions. Frattin goes hard to the net and makes contact with Lundqvist. They are absolutely comparable. Yeah, Frattin hit Lundqvist harder but the situations are still very comparable.

They are not comparable because players were checked into light contact into the Laughs goalie, while the Laughs player went in on his own accord and plowed the Rags goalie. They are an open handed slap in a fight versus a kick to the head. Not on the same plane.

How am I overlooking anything? Frattin went hard to the net and made contact with Lundqvist. That is what I said. I hardly see how it is trashy as Frattin made a play that you will see hundreds of times during the course of the season. To put it simply, it is a part of hockey, always has been, and always will be.

You are acting as if it was simply a gritty play by a gritty player. He was sending a message because his goalie was contacted, and he went above and beyond to do it. Untouched, plowed the goalie over. It's too bad Boogaard had to die, because he was the only one with balls and skill enough to put an end to that shit for one season.

Is it a part of hockey? Sure. But players with any class attempt to make an effort to get out of the way. Plain and simple.

As for whether or not the goals should've counted, there is no argument for the 2nd one. It should've been a penalty to Callahan as he made absolutely no effort at all to avoid the goalie.

The first one wasn't so cut and dry as Komisarek did bump Callahan, but what exactly is Callahan doing standing in Gus' crease like that anyways? If Callahan doesn't cut through the crease (on his own accord) there is no issue and you have to allow goalies space to move. If Komisarek shoved him from outside of the crease into Gus, I agree that it should absolutely have counted, but he went in there on his own.

Didn't see the second one, which is why I put "at least". I was watching in class on a laptop and had to at least pretend to pay attention from time to time, so I didn't get to see it. But the first one.. if Callahan isn't hit into Gus, there is no interference call. Gotta keep that one on the board. Not that it mattered, as the Rangers played like shit.

Who knows. Maybe I'm dramatizing it as a Rangers fan, and you're downplaying it as a Leafs fan. It probably lies somewhere in the middle. I just hate seeing a guy make absolutely no effort to avoid the goalie and then drive straight through him, hardnosed effort or not.

They are not comparable because players were checked into light contact into the Laughs goalie, while the Laughs player went in on his own accord and plowed the Rags goalie. They are an open handed slap in a fight versus a kick to the head. Not on the same plane.

You are acting as if it was simply a gritty play by a gritty player. He was sending a message because his goalie was contacted, and he went above and beyond to do it. Untouched, plowed the goalie over. It's too bad Boogaard had to die, because he was the only one with balls and skill enough to put an end to that shit for one season.

But that is exactly what it was. Frattin is a gritty player and made a gritty play. He played that way in college, he played that way in the preseason and he has played that way in the regular season so far. I guarantee that he makes that exact same drive to the net whether or not Gustavsson is hit or not earlier in the game.

Was the contact with Gus in the back of his mind when making the play? Probably.

Would he have not made it had the Rangers not hit Gus? Absolutely.

That is how Matt Frattin plays.

Going above and beyond would be him actually intending to hurt Lundqvist, not making a strong hockey play. If the Leafs really wanted to send a message to the Rangers, they would've hit Lundqvist a lot harder than Frattin did. Also, it sure as hell would not have been a 23 year old rookie playing in his 8th professional game. It would've been Mike Brown.

Is it a part of hockey? Sure. But players with any class attempt to make an effort to get out of the way. Plain and simple.

Callahan didn't make any attempt to get out of the way on the 2nd play (or really even attempt to avoid Gus on the first, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as he was helped by Komisarek and off balance), so I guess the Rangers captain is classless as well. He didn't have as much speed as Frattin did and therefore the impact wasn't the same, but the general principle is the exact same.

Didn't see the second one, which is why I put "at least". I was watching in class on a laptop and had to at least pretend to pay attention from time to time, so I didn't get to see it. But the first one.. if Callahan isn't hit into Gus, there is no interference call. Gotta keep that one on the board. Not that it mattered, as the Rangers played like shit.

Who knows. Maybe I'm dramatizing it as a Rangers fan, and you're downplaying it as a Leafs fan. It probably lies somewhere in the middle. I just hate seeing a guy make absolutely no effort to avoid the goalie and then drive straight through him, hardnosed effort or not.

It goes both ways though. If Callahan isn't skating through Gustavsson's crease, he doesn't get hit and Gustavsson likely makes the save. Its not like Callahan didn't know exactly what he was doing on the play as he easily could've avoided going into the crease when coming out from behind the net, but he chose not to. You can make the argument that the goal could be waved off even if Komi doesn't hit him because of the fact that he was in Gustavsson's crease and impedeing his ability to move laterally to make the save. It really is a judgement call on a situation like that and on this particular night it was judged to be intereference. A different officiating crew could've been fine with it.

I don't think you are dramatizing the Callahan play as I can see where you are coming from (and for what it is worth all three members of the TSN panel said the 2nd no goal was the right call while they were split on the 1st one and said it could go either way and many people of different fan bases over at HF Boards are saying the same thing), but I definitely think you are looking way too much into the Frattin play. He simply made a good, hard hockey move that power forward type of players make. Unfortunately he ran out of space and was left with no choice but to run over the goalie. It wasn't malicious or dirty or trashy by any means. If he really wanted to, he could've absolutely crushed Lundqvist.

But I digress. It really isn't worth dragging this on.

I didn't call any player classless, I said the hit itself was trashy. The rest of it.. hometown spinning. It's all good.

My mistake then. The way you worded it:

But players with any class attempt to make an effort to get out of the way.

made it sound like you were calling Frattin classless.

Anyways, on a different note, check out the mask Jonas Hiller is going to wear in November to support "Movember".

http://i.imgur.com/fRGAY.jpg

Absolutely brilliant. :lol:

Mike Milbury is such an idiot.

Listening to him every Saturday night is seriously making me dumber.

Cherry is an idiot as well, but at least we can chalk that up to him being a senile old man. Milbury is just a moron.

Yeah I heard the Milbury visor rant during the intermission of one of the VS games this week. Guessing he made a similar one tonight?

Hard to believe that this man was an NHL executive at one point...

Yeah I heard the Milbury visor rant during the intermission of one of the VS games this week. Guessing he made a similar one tonight?

Hard to believe that this man was an NHL executive at one point...

Yeah.

He was going on about how players wearing visors would change the foundation (or fabric, can't remember what he said for sure) of the game, how it screws with players vision (it is different, but its not like it hinders a players performance like he tried to make it sound) and a bunch of garbage like that.

Then they showed a bunch of clips of guys with black eyes, bloody/broken noses and he went on about how he loves seeing these kind of things. Really, you love seeing blood pouring out of guys face? Idiot. :lol:

The only semi-decent point he made was about fighting and how if visors are mandatory players would just take off their helmets when fighting and run the risk of hitting their head on the ice.