General Hockey Thread 2011-2012

Built Ford Tough

Pekka Rinne gets a 7 year/$49M contract extension from the Preds.

Not sure what to think of the contract. There is no denying that Rinne is one of the best goalies in the league (definitely top 5, possibly top 3) but if this ends up costing the Preds one of Suter or Weber, I don't think it would be worth it. I'd rather have two elite defenseman than an elite goalie. I'm not sure if Nashville is going to be able to pay $22M+ for three players, which is what it looks like they will have to go in order to keep their three core players.

You also have to wonder about the end of this deal as well. I believe Rinne just turned 29 years old today so they are going to have a $7M cap hit for a 35 year old goalie. Will he still be an elite goalie then? I'm not so sure.

Even with all of that said, I am glad that the Preds were able to lock him up. It is great to see a small market budget team like them being able to retain their star players.

I'd rather have two elite defenseman than an elite goalie.

I would rather have an elite goalie and 1 elite defenseman than 2 elite defensemen and a bad goalie. Build from the net out as far as I am concerned.

Also, isn't Weber an RFA still next summer? Suter is the biggest concern if I am Nashville, and he is the one I picture not winding up back in Nashville next year since I envision them being forced to choose between the two, but if they want to pay them 15M or so combined annually, they can probably get them both. It'll be interesting to say the least,

Edited by Check my Stats

I would rather have an elite goalie and 1 elite defenseman than 2 elite defensemen and a bad goalie. Build from the net out as far as I am concerned.

The thing is that with Nasvhille's system and the best defensive pairing in the game, even a bad goalie looks pretty decent. Just look at Chris Mason for example.

With Nashville he put up a .915 SV% and a 2.50 GAA in his 4 seasons with them.

He leaves Nashville and has managed to put up .907 SV% and a 2.78 GAA in the three years since.

Or even the guy Rinne beat out for the Nashville job in Dan Ellis.

With the Preds he put up a .911 SV% and a 2.65 GAA in 3 seasons.

He goes to Tampa the next year and puts up a .889 SV% and 2.93 GAA and played in a mere 13 games last season for the Ducks.

I think it is safe to say that Nashville could get a more talented goalie than Ellis or Mason had they decided to not give RInne this contract and basing how well they did in Trotz's system, I think they would be fine. Not as good as they are with Rinne, obviously, but still a pretty good team all things considered.

I think of it as a similar situation to the Blackhawks two seasons ago. I'd rather have two elite defenseman in Keith and Seabrook and an average goalie in Neimi than having to split up what was the best pairing in the league and putting in a goalie like Rinne.

Obviously you want to keep all three, but I think the two defenseman are more important and would choose them if I could.

Also, isn't Weber an RFA still next summer? Suter is the biggest concern if I am Nashville, and he is the one I picture not winding up back in Nashville next year since I envision them being forced to choose between the two, but if they want to pay them 15M or so combined annually, they can probably get them both. It'll be interesting to say the least,

Weber will be a UFA so unless the Preds are willing to shell out at least $8M annually, he is likely gone. He got $7.5M form arbitration this past summer so you can guarantee that he will be getting more than that if he hits the open market. Suter is a UFA as well, and I would be surprise if he doesn't get at least $7M a year as well.

That is, at the very least, $22M for these three and the predictions on Weber and Suter may even be conservative. I question whether the Preds will be willing to do that, although I certainly hope they do.

Blues fire Davis Payne, hire Ken Hitchcock. I figured Hitch would get a shot soon, and I also figured it'd be with a team that has "Blue" in the name, just did not see it being St. Louis.

Update requested

Didn't watch the game but heard refs weren't so good to the Canadiens but aside from that they've been playing half decent. Seven points from 2nd place and two points from last so should be another amazing Eastern Conference season.

The funniest part about last night was John Tortorella giving Buff some words during the game yet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjkVga8OS2c

:wacko:

Didn't watch the game but heard refs weren't so good to the Canadiens but aside from that they've been playing half decent. Seven points from 2nd place and two points from last so should be another amazing Eastern Conference season.

The funniest part about last night was John Tortorella giving Buff some words during the game yet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjkVga8OS2c

:wacko:

You misinterpreted, I made that post the day before we played (after the Canadiens jumped the Bruins in the standings) <_<

Evgeni Nabokov traded to the Blue Jackets for Fedor Tyutin. This is actually quite intriguing, although their problems run far deeper than goaltending. Seems like a solid shot for Nabokov though.

Jackets also traded Kris Russell to St. Louis.

Evgeni Nabokov traded to the Blue Jackets for Fedor Tyutin. This is actually quite intriguing, although their problems run far deeper than goaltending. Seems like a solid shot for Nabokov though.

Jackets also traded Kris Russell to St. Louis.

Nabokov deal may not go through apparently.