General Hockey Thread 2011-2012

Built Ford Tough

Amazing start for the Caps this season, best ever in the history of this franchise

The new guys we acquired in the offseason have been a pleasant surprise, especially Halpern.

Knuble playing with the second line is awesome, he really didn't fit in well with Ovie and Backstrom's speed, with this second line he's able to control the pace of the game and work on the boards. The lines overall are starting to gel.

And I can't post this without giving some props to Vokoun, he continues to impress after the rough start.

Can you explain to me why they are so terrible? I haven't seen any games this year and lack common sense, please help. I looked at the standings and see we are three points behind the Cup champs? I'm very confused!

Maybe the fact that Montreal has arguable the worst defense in the entire league?

Gorges - Subban

Gill - Diaz

Emelin - Weber

/convo

Can you explain to me why they are so terrible? I haven't seen any games this year and lack common sense, please help. I looked at the standings and see we are three points behind the Cup champs? I'm very confused!

I'm not saying that they are terrible and are going to be in the "Fail for Nail" group with Ottawa, who are clearly the worst team in the league and Winnipeg, but they aren't a very good team.

I realize they have been hit hard by injuries missing the likes of Cammy and Markov (then again, is anybody surprised?) but they aren't a very talented team. They lack offensive talent, their defense is below average and unless Price starts picking it up and plays like he did last year, they are going to be hard pressed to make the playoffs.

Him calling them a terrible team and saying that they are going to end up with Yakupov was stretching it, but this team is a borderline playoff team if Price doesn't play like a top 5 goalie.

I'm not saying that they are terrible and are going to be in the "Fail for Nail" group with Ottawa, who are clearly the worst team in the league and Winnipeg, but they aren't a very good team.

I realize they have been hit hard by injuries missing the likes of Cammy and Markov (then again, is anybody surprised?) but they aren't a very talented team. They lack offensive talent, their defense is below average and unless Price starts picking it up and plays like he did last year, they are going to be hard pressed to make the playoffs.

Him calling them a terrible team and saying that they are going to end up with Yakupov was stretching it, but this team is a borderline playoff team if Price doesn't play like a top 5 goalie.

They are a terrible team but I knew ECN never watched a game.

Montreal built there defencemen depth off of having Spacek and Markov fully healthy and they aren't. Add that with Cammy and White and you are missing a key on offense and a great penalty killer. Letting Sopel, Hammer and the other guys go really hurt this team.

Montreal hasn't played terrible as everyone makes it out. For those who watched the games, we are getting the shots (43 and 41 I believe the past two games) but we are just not getting the breaks.

Is Montreal a playoff team? This roster is definately not but the NHL is all about streaks so I can easily see a healthy roster slipping into the 8th seed but the key word is healthy.

Canucks made a pretty big move today acquiring David Booth, Steven Reinprecht and a 3rd round pick from the Florida Panthers for Mikael Samuelsson and Marco Sturm.

If Booth is able to stay healthy and shake off past injury problems, this is a pretty solid move for the Canucks. Booth has had a 60 point season and a couple of 40 point seasons in his career so far. He is probably one of the more talented players that will have played on Kesler's wing.

Samuelsson has done nothing for Vancouver for a while now and Sturm was a terrible signing from the get go, and was brutal for the 'Nucks.

Hm. No NBA, and the OTR hockey forum is as active as it's ever been. I've seen at least 2 or 3 new regular posters recently. Coincidence?? :huh:

I am wondering what kind of impact the NBA lockout will have on NHL attendance/TV ratings.

Hm. No NBA, and the OTR hockey forum is as active as it's ever been. I've seen at least 2 or 3 new regular posters recently. Coincidence?? :huh:

I am wondering what kind of impact the NBA lockout will have on NHL attendance/TV ratings.

I really think it'll be positive. Watching a hockey game live is exciting as heck. Even in the Jr. B games I'm covering, the guys are never going to make it to the NHL and a few in the AHL, they still absolutely crush each other and it's just seeing guys do that legally and on skates.

It's an amazing sport.

I really think it'll be positive. Watching a hockey game live is exciting as heck. Even in the Jr. B games I'm covering, the guys are never going to make it to the NHL and a few in the AHL, they still absolutely crush each other and it's just seeing guys do that legally and on skates.

It's an amazing sport.

Yeah. I was reading Bill Simmons' article on Grantland the other day ( http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7123705/arms-nhl ), talking about how he recently purchased Kings season tickets. And as much as I can't stand the guy, he makes some great points. The NBA lockout means tons of potential for hockey markets such as LA.

Going to ESPN was the NHL's real opportunity to cash in on the lockout. It doesn't matter how awesome hockey is, or the fact that their playoffs are > any other sports, as long as no one knows what is going on, and they have no coverage on ESPN (I assume, I live in Canada so...) it isn't going to have a huge impact. NHL attendance ratings, I believe, are already pretty close to on par with the NBA's. Viewership is where they struggle, and as long as they're on versus I don't see it changing.

I think what hurts the NHL the most, is that the best players (forwards mostly) are only on the ice 1/3 of the game, while in the NBA and other sports, the most marketable players, or the draws for fans, are in the game almost the entire time.

Edited by Check my Stats

Going to ESPN was the NHL's real opportunity to cash in on the lockout. It doesn't matter how awesome hockey is, or the fact that their playoffs are > any other sports, as long as no one knows what is going on, and they have no coverage on ESPN (I assume, I live in Canada so...) it isn't going to have a huge impact. NHL attendance ratings, I believe, are already pretty close to on par with the NBA's. Viewership is where they struggle, and as long as they're on versus I don't see it changing.

I think what hurts the NHL the most, is that the best players (forwards mostly) are only on the ice 1/3 of the game, while in the NBA and other sports, the most marketable players, or the draws for fans, are in the game almost the entire time.

I am actually OK with the NHL not being on ESPN. Not sure where ESPN would find time for the programming, especially during the playoffs when there is direct competition with the NBA. Most of the NHL games would likely wind up on ESPN2, which does very little good.

What they need is for Versus (or whatever it will be called) to become a legitimate go-to channel for sports fans. Hopefully this re-branding that is coming will help.

Just wondering, but who are the new posters?

I know last CmS didn't post much about hockey and it was iBoldin, Universe, ECN, you, illwill and myself. I haven't really noticed many other people, but I could defintiely be overlooking some guys.

In other (old) news, Mark Schiefele was sent back to the Barrie Colts by the Jets on Sunday. Not really surprising as he only had one goal thus far and looked like he needed some more time in the O.

Alex Galchenyuk, the number one center for the Sarnia Sting and a projected top 5 pick in the 2012 draft, is getting surgery on his torn ACL and looks to be out for the rest of the season. Terrible news for him since I could easily see this dropping his draft stock from top 5 to the 10-15 range, but it looks like some middle of the pack team is going to get an absolute steal of a pick, assuming he does in fact fall. A team may very well end up with legitimate first line center with a mid first round pick.

I realize that guys like Connolly still went high despite missing a significant portion of his draft year, but I think with all the projected talent in this years draft his injury has a much higher chance of dropping his stock. Many people thought it was a ballsy pick from Yzerman by picking Connolly anyways, and last years draft was not nearly as talented as what this years is projected to be.

Could you imagine if a team wins the lottery, drafts Yakupov and then Galchenyuk falls to 12-15th or so and the same team trades to get him? Scary.

EDIT: While on the subject of prospects, did anybody see Jacob Markstrom for the Panthers yesterday? Absolutely dominated the Habs. They threw everything at him and he shut the door time after time. He made 40 saves on 41 shots.

Edited by The Great BFT

Just wondering, but who are the new posters?

I know last CmS didn't post much about hockey and it was iBoldin, Universe, ECN, you, illwill and myself. I haven't really noticed many other people, but I could defintiely be overlooking some guys.

I am thinking of the Caps fans.