General Hockey Thread 2011-2012

Built Ford Tough

Traded for a 7th round pick... Why the hell wasn't Burke all over that?

Vokoun wouldn't have signed here. WAS let him negotiate with other teams, and he (probably) wanted to be on a contender.

Nice insurance for PIT though. Get Fleury more rest this year and relief for when he is struggling.

Quick wins Conn Smythe obviously. From what i've seen this playoffs, he's looking like he can secure himself a spot as a top 3 goalie in the NHL if he brings this play into next season

He'll win it but I really don't think it is as much of a no-brainer pick as people are making it out to be.

Sure, his stats are brilliant, but how many games has he really been tested? The Kings' defense has been absolutely ridiculous in this playoff run. They simply don't give up any great scoring chances, allow Quick to see everything and keep every shot to the outside. The odd breakdown they have Quick is usually there to bail them out, but that is like once a game at most.

Don't get me wrong, Quick is a great goalie. He absolutely carried this team in the regular season. As far as I am concerned, it is an absolute travesty that he isn't nominated for the Hart because as far as I am concerned he is definitely the MVP this year, but the Kings defense has been far more impressive than Quick has in the playoffs.

I really think Kopitar is just as deserving as Quick is, if not more. He has been dominant in all 3 zones, has scored some huge goals and is simply playing awesome all-around hockey.

I wouldn't disagree with Quick winning it, but Kopitar would be my pick.

Quick hasn't been tested THAT much, but it's hard to ignore the statistics he's putting up.

I'm not really sure why people are saying Kopitar should win it if the Kings are to win the Stanley Cup. You can say he's "strong in all three zones", but at the end of the day I would expect a Conn Smythe winner on a dominant team during the playoffs have better statistics than 19 points in 18 games............

If Quick were to have a gaa. closer to 2.00 and a sv% of .930 or something like that, sure, I can see the argument for Kopitar, but it will come down to Quick's historic statistics (if the Kings win) versus Kopitar, and it's a no-brainer to me.

Hell, I'd give it to Brown over Kopitar.

lol u salty or just hate the devils?

Hate the Devils. Rival, I live(d) in Jersey and I have to hear it all the time, Facebook is a mess, they just beat us, etc.

Though, I quite like the Kings. Quick is easy to root for, Anze Anze Anze is fun to say and I love playing with him in NHL, and the 88-98 Robitaille jerseys could be my favorites ever.

Edited by iMan

I wish more athletes were like Sidney Crosby. Hockey players are honestly the best athletes in the world. In the NBA you see the top guys who want to be paid the max money AND have a terrific cast around them; want their cake and to eat it too. Meanwhile you have the best player in the NHL willing to take like 35% less than the maximum he could earn. 10 years 90M would be pretty crazy.

Say what you will about the guy (I know he has no shortage of haters, and has some pretty dislikable qualities), but I think hes awesome.

Edited by Check my Stats

I wish more athletes were like Sidney Crosby. Hockey players are honestly the best athletes in the world. In the NBA you see the top guys who want to be paid the max money AND have a terrific cast around them; want their cake and to eat it too. Meanwhile you have the best player in the NHL willing to take like 35% less than the maximum he could earn. 10 years 90M would be pretty crazy.

Say what you will about the guy (I know he has no shortage of haters, and has some pretty dislikable qualities), but I think hes awesome.

I'm one of the few people that I know that actually likes Crosby. When he's 100% healthy, I still think he's the best player in the NHL.

I'm not sure why you're raving about him in this situation. I will agree with you if he takes a contract/cap hit that does not have the number 87 associated with it. That seems to be one of the big reasons he'll be willing to accept less because he's superstitious.

If he takes a contract with an 8.7 mil cap hit or anything like that, the NHLPA will probably not be happy with him potentially hurting the market for other players.