General Hockey Thread 2011-2012

Built Ford Tough

Why is it the best league?

Because literally any team can win any year and the playoffs are better than any other sport bar none. Saying anyone can win isn't just a cliche in the NHL. Football you could probably put ahead if you wanted but obviously I am biased as a Canadian without a team, and without that same emotional attachment... NBA, MLB, in my opinion aren't even close. I might be biased but I put an incredible amount of value into parity. It is one thing for your commissioner to say they want a system where every team can compete, it is another to deliver it. That is why I think more highly of Bettman than most.

Like I said, I don't think it is the best sport, that really depends on what you like. But for a fan, the NHL, and NFL as well, are definitely the best leagues as far as I am concerned.

• Like 1

The NHL won't blow up rating wise until they get a deal with ESPN again. It isn't even about the games being broadcast there, but as long as the NHL is seen as a joke by ESPN, and gets barely any broadcast time during their highlights, it won't blow up there. But the league keeps generating more and more revenue each year, and ratings keep going up, but they are just so far behind the other 3 it seems (tv wise), and one of the main reasons is because it gets no credibility in the states, despite the fact that it is the best league of all the main 4 (not best sport, best league).

It's much better that NBC has the rights to the NHL.

ESPN offered more money than NBC for the rights to air NHL games, but the NHL still decided to go with NBC for good reasons. I love ESPN, but hockey is better suited on NBC. Ratings have been going up each year for the NHL, especially in markets like St. Louis and Los Angeles.

I think NBC is going to grow a lot in the coming years, and having a channel whose main sport is going to be hockey will be huge for the NHL.

I think it would be overshadowed on ESPN, and I wouldn't fault ESPN for that because right now, the three other major U.S. sports are much bigger money makers.

Because literally any team can win any year and the playoffs are better than any other sport bar none. Saying anyone can win isn't just a cliche in the NHL. Football you could probably put ahead if you wanted but obviously I am biased as a Canadian without a team, and without that same emotional attachment... NBA, MLB, in my opinion aren't even close. I might be biased but I put an incredible amount of value into parity. It is one thing for your commissioner to say they want a system where every team can compete, it is another to deliver it. That is why I think more highly of Bettman than most.

Like I said, I don't think it is the best sport, that really depends on what you like. But for a fan, the NHL, and NFL as well, are definitely the best leagues as far as I am concerned.

I agree with a lot of the points you make. NHL playoffs are just as exciting as anything else (although, I believe that's just as much because of the sport itself as opposed to the league)...

I also think you forgot to add though that the parity is partly due to the sport. Sure the better teams win more often, but hockey is suited for upsets as well man. It's a weird game. A lot of it seems very lucky, and how pucks bounce, etc. A lot of teams can win games off that but be outplayed for most of the game but get a nice bounce, or the other team clanks the post, etc. You get what I mean.

NHL playoffs you can easily make an argument are the best playoffs, and I would not disagree a bit. I've been loving it this year.

This isn't playoff related, but after reading the deadspin (possible false) story about Kane this weekend, I looked up at his career and season statistics, and was honestly very surprised.

He's only had one 30 goal season which really blows my mind.

I'm really not surprised.

He has fantastic hands, perhaps the best in the entire league, but his shot is average at best. It really is difficult to score in today's NHL if you have an average shot like he does. He has always been much more of a playmaker than finisher as well and add that to his average shot and it doesn't really surprise me that he hasn't been a premier goal scorer.

If you give him time and space he will pick you apart, but he doesn't have that ability to just label a wrister or slapper top corner like the truly great goal scorers do.

This isn't playoff related, but after reading the deadspin (possible false) story about Kane this weekend, I looked up at his career and season statistics, and was honestly very surprised.

He's only had one 30 goal season which really blows my mind.

I'm sure I'll get ripped apart for this but I personally think

Phil Kessel > Patrick Kane

Kessel has a MUCH better shot, and is a VERY under rated playmaker. Probably best playmaker on the Leafs without question. Kane has better hands for sure, but Kessels hands are not a weak spot in his game whatsoever. I'm sure you'll have an argument for me though.

What. A. Series.

I wonder if we have another opening faceoff fight on Monday, haha.

Braden Holtby had quite a series. Looks like he's set up for a bright future.

Never judge a goalie too early. He looked great, but I find hockey goaltenders are the most inconsistent players in all of sports. I hope he has a good career ahead of him though.

I think the majority of goalies look better in the playoffs just because of how teams play (save Bryz lol). Holtby was very good don't get me wrong, but the way those teams were playing, there wasn't a lot of high percentage scoring chances, but at the same time he did a good job not giving up many weak goals. It will be interesting to see what happens with him, it's going to be hard to not give him the starters job next year after how he and Washington played these playoffs. It is clear the players believe in him.

I just wonder where Washington goes from here. In the past 4 years it seems they've tried everything. Roster shuffling, new goalies, new systems, Ovie trying to commit defensively, etc, and it just hasn't worked. Ovie is 27, which isn't old, but he isn't getting any younger and his production continues to decline (though a lot of that was a product of the system as well as linemates this year). I just don't see how you can come into camp with the same roster next year.

Dale Hunter resigns. One of the most bizarre things you will ever see in sports I think. I wonder where Washington goes from here, they've tried so many systems, goalies, coaches, etc and none of it has worked. It will be interesting to see which coaches they go after; if they continue the defensive shotblocking system they used in the playoffs, or go high octane offense again.

What a series Caps-Rangers was. Washington was good enough to win it all IMO. Rangers were very fortunate to survive to extremely tough and talented teams in Ottawa and Washington.

Devils will be a tough test. I expect it to be a long series. It may come down to the goaltender's play, and even though Brodeur, is what, 40? It won't be easy for Lundqvist to outplay him.

Looking forward to it!

In my opinion, Brodeur has not looked particularly good this postseason. He was not tested at all in the Flyers series. Not hard to win games when you are only facing one shot every 10 minutes. If the Rangers can get any sustained pressure at all, I think they will win the series and it won't be particularly close.The Rangers defense, as a whole, is not nearly as slow as the Flyers defense, so I don't see the Devils forecheck being able to dominate like it did against us.

In my opinion, Brodeur has not looked particularly good this postseason. He was not tested at all in the Flyers series. Not hard to win games when you are only facing one shot every 10 minutes. If the Rangers can get any sustained pressure at all, I think they will win the series and it won't be particularly close.The Rangers defense, as a whole, is not nearly as slow as the Flyers defense, so I don't see the Devils forecheck being able to dominate like it did against us.

Yeah, I hear you. The Rangers made Holtby look great. He barely ever had to face, what you just said, sustained pressure.

Rangers offense has to be better I believe to beat the Devils IMO.

I never thought I would see the day when the New Jersey Devils would be the most offensively oriented team left in the playoffs.

Haha, very true. This is not the Brodeur-Friendly Stanley Cup defensive teams!

Yup. Lol at the Devils, trying to "campaign" to keep Rangers fans out of Newark on Saturday. Only a team in Newark NJ has a problem like that!!!

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/05/15/devils-campaigning-to-keep-out-rangers-fans/

The Washington Nationals did the same thing to Phillies fans a few weeks ago. In the StubHub age, it is just dumb.

Yup. Lol at the Devils, trying to "campaign" to keep Rangers fans out of Newark on Saturday. Only a team in Newark NJ has a problem like that!!!

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/05/15/devils-campaigning-to-keep-out-rangers-fans/

I'd probably do the same if I were the Devils. It's kind of funny that they're doing this, but very understandable. Might aswell do everything you can to try and keep home ice advantage against a much bigger fan base that is only a short drive away.

I'd legit place regular season Devs/Rangers games at the Rock close to a 50/50 split.. Obviously a drastic difference with the playoffs, but they def want more red and less blue.

The 08 series I'd say was probably a good 35% Rangers fans at the Pru, but then again this time is a little different with the Devils clinching early and their fans getting first dibs on all the tickets.

I don't 'blame' them for doing it, I understand the logic behind it...but a strong franchise and fan base never has to do that. I can't picture the Knicks, Giants, Yankees, or Rangers ever doing that. Lolz.

Just funny to me that no matter how much the Devils have won in the past 15 years, they still can't outshine the Rangers!

Edited by JYD