General Hockey Thread 2011-2012

Built Ford Tough

Him not covering the puck up didn't lead to the goal.

However, I agree it was a bad one. I have no idea why he turned his body to the side like that. If he would've just stayed in the same position, Richards doesn't have room to get that shot off. Instead, he makes himself very small by turning to the side and it gave Richards the room on the short side to get a shot off.

New York has had some real post luck in these games, though. In that 3OT game, Ovechkin's shot goes post and out. In this game, Richards' shot is literally less than an inch away from going post and out after Backstrom's breakaway hits the crossbar. It really is amazing how Washington could've won this series 4-1 if not for a matter of inches.

Not trying to take anything away from the Rangers.

They've been very fortunate of late, but In game 2 the Rangers hit the post about three times and the cross bar probably twice. It goes both ways man...

Also, Haglin, I believe, was standing right there undefended if Richards shot doesn't catch the post and go in. He's probably going to knock it in.

It was a great game. Rangers were throwing pucks at the net all night, not really able to get anything to go. Holtsby played well, but I didn't really feel like he was the great. The Capitals had much fewer shots, but the looks they got were of a way better quality.

This is such an even series. Capitals are tough when they get a lead, and so are the Rangers. I don't think there will be another come from behind win such as this in the series. If the Rangers fall behind late in the next two games, they may find themselves losing a close game 7.

Edited by JYD

I'm talking about plays that would've directly led to a win (or loss, depending on your viewpoint), though.

Ovechkin's shot in Game 3, Backstrom icing the game tonight and Richards tying it. All three of those games directly resulted in either a win or a loss for their team.

Obviously you can spin it in a way that is more favourable to the Rangers, like you did, and I'm not going to disagree with that. I'm strictly speaking from a standpoint where the game was basically won by a shot going post and in or lost by going post and out.

I'm not taking a shot at the Rangers or anything because, to be perfectly honest, I don't care who wins any series. It was just a way of proving how the complexion of a series can be drastically altered by something as small as literally 1 inch here and 1 inch there.

Oh yeah, well, you're completely right. Basically, the crux of what you are saying is there is a tremendous amount of luck in hockey, which I've stated on here several times. More luck in hockey then any other sport I watch. The deflections, bouncing pucks, crossbars, posts, etc. Lol.

At the end of the day you have to put the puck in the back of the net. The Capitals have had more great chances, especially tonight, but they couldn't finish. The Bruins had more chances than the Capitals in the first round and couldn't finish either.

The Backstrom post and the multiple botched or well played defensively odd man rushes are what did the Capitals in tonight. I'm not putting all of the blame on Ward at all. The Capitals could have had a two goal lead late in the game if they could capitalize, but they didn't.

If tonight's match-up was a game 7 instead of a game 5...........oh, my.

Smith's shutout streak comes to an end at around 164 minutes.

Yotes still hold a 2-1 lead with 5 minutes left in the game, though. Should be a great final 5 minutes, although I really don't think it will be much different than the first 55. Nashville has been all over Phoenix for basically the entire game but up until moments ago couldn't solve Smith.

Shit, I was really hoping Nashville could move on. Mike Smith has really turned his career around though. He looked great early on in his career in Dallas, and ended up being the key part of the Brad Richards to Dallas trade. He never really was able to put it all together though in Tampa Bay. Good to see he's playing like he showed he could early in his career.

I'm hoping for a New York and LA final. Would be pretty cool, two of the biggest and most famous cities in the world up against each other.

I think it's great that Justin Tuck really likes the Rangers. It's cool to see athletes of different sports in the same city support their fellow sport teams.

Even if the chance is small, I think younger kids, especially African American kids seeing Justin Tuck at a hockey game, which is predominately white, can help the sport grow and gain some more fans..........I hope.

If we see a Devils-Rangers ECF, is it safe to say that the series would be more of a bloodbath than Philly-Pittsburgh?

No, I don't think many people would say that. There's not the same amount of hate between the teams as there seems to be between the Penguins and Flyers.

There's multiple reasons for that as well.

The Penguins have had more success in recent years, they have the two best players on either team (arguably the NHL), and are interstate rivals. They claim the Flyers are dirty, and the bantering goes back and forth.

The Flyers are a "tough" team that has played the Penguins well this year. The Penguins have Crosby who is the face of the league, and many people think he's a whining baby, especially Flyers fans. Flyers fans still don't like that the Penguins were able to get Crosby and Malkin in back to back drafts. There was some serious luck with that, and I would be envious as well.

However, this was the real spark plug to the eventually powder keg explosion. This was one of their last meetings of the season. The big hit was extremely clean, but people questioned why Vitale (player that made the hit) was even on the ice after not playing much during the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNyhm9qAAuw

I think it's great that Justin Tuck really likes the Rangers. It's cool to see athletes of different sports in the same city support their fellow sport teams.

Even if the chance is small, I think younger kids, especially African American kids seeing Justin Tuck at a hockey game, which is predominately white, can help the sport grow and gain some more fans..........I hope.

Agreed, as much as I hate the Giants they always make regular appearances at Knicks game too, I like how the NY sport teams tend to support eachother, at least the Yankees Knicks Rangers and Giants lol

Yeah good point. It's always cool to see Tuck at the Knicks games too. He seems like a good dude.

I don't think it will really have an impact on black kids getting into hockey, because it's far more than if a football player goes to the game, but I see what you are saying and that'd be cool for the sport if it were more diverse.

Jamar Chaney (Eagles linebacker) went to game 3 of the Flyers-Penguins series and tweeted that it was the greatest sporting event he had ever been to, bar none.

All in all, these playoffs have been a huge success, TV ratings wise. Interested to see how the sport evolves over the next decade or so. Also, I hate to even bring this up, but I wonder what the impact would have been if the NBA season was cancelled.

For all the talk about headshots, that Rinaldo hit on Zubrus is probably the worst hit of the playoffs in my opinion, Torres aside (at least off the top of my head).

Those hits are just as dangerous as high ones.

EDIT: Not as bad as I first thought, but still, can't stand those low hits that target somebodies knees like that.

Jamar Chaney (Eagles linebacker) went to game 3 of the Flyers-Penguins series and tweeted that it was the greatest sporting event he had ever been to, bar none.

All in all, these playoffs have been a huge success, TV ratings wise. Interested to see how the sport evolves over the next decade or so. Also, I hate to even bring this up, but I wonder what the impact would have been if the NBA season was cancelled.

Probably the best ratings of all time considering there would be less to watch on TV. I know several times I have chosen NBA playoffs over NHL this season.

The NHL won't blow up rating wise until they get a deal with ESPN again. It isn't even about the games being broadcast there, but as long as the NHL is seen as a joke by ESPN, and gets barely any broadcast time during their highlights, it won't blow up there. But the league keeps generating more and more revenue each year, and ratings keep going up, but they are just so far behind the other 3 it seems (tv wise), and one of the main reasons is because it gets no credibility in the states, despite the fact that it is the best league of all the main 4 (not best sport, best league).

Edited by Check my Stats

The NHL won't blow up rating wise until they get a deal with ESPN again. It isn't even about the games being broadcast there, but as long as the NHL is seen as a joke by ESPN, and gets barely any broadcast time during their highlights, it won't blow up there. But the league keeps generating more and more revenue each year, and ratings keep going up, but they are just so far behind the other 3 it seems (tv wise), and one of the main reasons is because it gets no credibility in the states, despite the fact that it is the best league of all the main 4 (not best sport, best league).

Why is it the best league?

What they really need is for NBC Sports Network to turn into a legitimate competitor to ESPN. This obviously won't happen any time soon, and won't happen at all if they don't add more high profile programming.

I'm really not sure if an ESPN deal would help as much as everybody thinks. I used to think that would be such an easy fix, but now I am not so sure anymore. The SportsCenter pub would be a huge deal, and it may be worth it just for that. But, due to the scheduling conflict with the NBA (specifically in the postseason), I suspect most NHL events would get stuck on ESPN2 (or worse). Not sure if that's as big of a step up as everybody thinks.

Edited by Phightins

awful night for NY sports. i was flipping between the two games frustrated beyond belief with both.

i really cared more about the rangers since they have actually have a legitimate chance to win their series unlike the knicks.

this game was really disappointing. i think this game was a huge loss for the rangers. i just have a bad feeling about game 7 idk