General Hockey Thread 2011-2012

Built Ford Tough

Neil's hit on Boyle was clean and he did basically everything that Torres didn't do.

It wasn't late.

The head wasn't targeted or the principal point of contact.

He didn't leave his feet.

Torres did all of those things, and those are exactly what Shanny singled out as to why the hit was illegal. Sucks that Boyle got hurt, but no rules were broken on this hit.

On another note, Mike Smith put on one of the best goaltending performances I've seen in a while last night. He was absolutely phenomenal. Chicago completely dominated that game but Smith was just too good. If he continues to play like he has in the first round, it is going to be so much fun seeing him and Rinne play against each other in the 2nd round.

Neil's hit on Boyle was clean and he did basically everything that Torres didn't do.

It wasn't late.

The head wasn't targeted or the principal point of contact.

He didn't leave his feet.

Torres did all of those things, and those are exactly what Shanny singled out as to why the hit was illegal. Sucks that Boyle got hurt, but no rules were broken on this hit.

On another note, Mike Smith put on one of the best goaltending performances I've seen in a while last night. He was absolutely phenomenal. Chicago completely dominated that game but Smith was just too good. If he continues to play like he has in the first round, it is going to be so much fun seeing him and Rinne play against each other in the 2nd round.

I wasn't really comparing it to Torres hit, because it was nothing of that magnitude.

It did seem slightly late, but more so that it was up high and to me seemed like it targeted the head. It just seemed that if Haglin got 3 games, I thought Neil should've gotten a game.

Sucks that Boyle got hurt, but no rules were broken on this hit.

Yeah, to be honest.. I don't think Rangers fans are upset with the hit, I just think it's the inconsistency shown throughout the whole thing. Hagelin gets 3 games, Carkner gets 1 for jumping a player, Phillips doesn't even get a meeting for a hit on Callahan completely similar to Hagelin's on Alfy, Neil's hit was absolutely still a carryover from the slapbox incident with Karlsson (it was a mostly clean heat, but it was a deliberately high contacted hit and the target was specific), and then now Michalek getting no games (or meeting) for a clear skate kick on Girardi, an infraction that just got Skinner 2 games this season (seen here: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/video-shows-ottawa-senators-milan-michalek-kick-ny-rangers-defenseman-dan-girardi-game-6-article-1.1066791).

I get that Shanny likely saw his overreaction in the Hagelin suspension and is trying to tone it down for the rest of the series, but it still leaves Rangers fans feeling slighted that their dynamic offensive kid missed half the series that we're struggling mightily to score goals in, while the Sens players seem to be getting slaps on the wrist.

I wasn't really comparing it to Torres hit, because it was nothing of that magnitude.

It did seem slightly late, but more so that it was up high and to me seemed like it targeted the head. It just seemed that if Haglin got 3 games, I thought Neil should've gotten a game.

My bad. For some reason I thought I read a comparision to the Torres hit from you.

As for the hit, it wasn't late. The rule is anything after 0.5 seconds is considered late and Neil made contact within that time period.

In regards to targetting the head, I can understand where you are coming from, but what should be noted is that the only reason why the head was contacted is because Boyle's head was down. Neil didn't purposely deliver a high hit or anything like that. If Boyle isn't cutting across the middle with his head down, it is a typical shoulder to chest/shoulder hit.

I don't even think he made contact with the head anyways Boyle's head snapped back from the impact of his shoulder to chest.

As for the Hagelin thing, I thought he got too much, but the hits aren't really comparable. Hagelin's contact was to the head and head only and he hit Alfredsson with an elbow, not a shoulder. I thought his suspension was too much (1 game would've been fine) but I don't think the two things are even comparable.

Yeah, to be honest.. I don't think Rangers fans are upset with the hit, I just think it's the inconsistency shown throughout the whole thing. Hagelin gets 3 games, Carkner gets 1 for jumping a player, Phillips doesn't even get a meeting for a hit on Callahan completely similar to Hagelin's on Alfy, Neil's hit was absolutely still a carryover from the slapbox incident with Karlsson (it was a mostly clean heat, but it was a deliberately high contacted hit and the target was specific), and then now Michalek getting no games (or meeting) for a clear skate kick on Girardi, an infraction that just got Skinner 2 games this season (seen here: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/video-shows-ottawa-senators-milan-michalek-kick-ny-rangers-defenseman-dan-girardi-game-6-article-1.1066791).

I get that Shanny likely saw his overreaction in the Hagelin suspension and is trying to tone it down for the rest of the series, but it still leaves Rangers fans feeling slighted that their dynamic offensive kid missed half the series that we're struggling mightily to score goals in, while the Sens players seem to be getting slaps on the wrist.

Fair enough and I get what you and JYD are both saying.

I'm only speaking in terms of the one incident and not letting anything else factor in. Neil's hit was not in violation of any league rules. That is all I'm saying.

Brian Campbell has played the most minutes out of every player this season in the NHL and only has six penalty minutes...amazing stat.

Reminds me of a guy, Steve Weinstein, who played for the BCHL team here (Vernon Vipers) a few years ago. He played all 60 games, played in all roles (PK, PP, ES) and would log around 20-22 minutes a night and he went the entire season without picking up a minor penalty. In his 157 games in the BCHL (playoffs included) he had a total of 24 PIMs.

Obviously the level of hockey is significantly higher in the NHL but it really is remarkable how guys like this can play so many minutes and avoid picking up penalties. You would would expect that there would be at least 5 or so lazy penalties where they get caught tired or something during the course of a year.

So glad the game didn't end on that Bruins PP.

It would really, really suck to see this series be decided by a chincy call like that.

Also, Seidenberg is a beast. The battle between him and Ovechkin in this series has probably been my favourite individual matchup so far.

So glad the game didn't end on that Bruins PP.

It would really, really suck to see this series be decided by a chincy call like that.

Also, Seidenberg is a beast. The battle between him and Ovechkin in this series has probably been my favourite individual matchup so far.

:(

At least the Flyers were able to trade him for Petr Nedved!

And yes that was awful timing on that Chimera penalty. Not sure if the Canadian broadcast showed it, but NBC had a nice view that showed Walkom's arm go up a full 2 seconds after the play. Clearly influenced by the crowd reaction. Pretty awful. Not saying it wasn't a legitimate penalty, but considering all the other stuff that had been let go all game long, that was a pretty weak call.

Edited by Phightins

lol, the one that tweeted: "Joel Ward is the first n***** to score in game 7 overtime", with the name K1NGOFCRAZY is a kid i know from school. He's gotten over 100 tweets from people threatening him and calling him shit. The funny thing is he's not racist and his avatar on twitter is RG3. Obviously he should have said black player or something instead, but what he said is not even close to what most of the other people said. He's loving the attention though.

My man "FanSince09" started that trend of RTing racist tweets about Ward last night. To take it a step further, he found out that several of them play college hockey/baseball/other sports, so he contacted their schools/coaches. At least 2-3 confirmed cases of kids getting kicked off their teams. Awesome.

• Like 1