General Hockey Thread 2011-2012

Built Ford Tough

Lol...Probably not ^^ star treatment bro

the no call on knuble when he hit it out of play was mind blowing to me. they always call that a [expletive]ing penalty.

and i thought callahan got tripped 5 seconds before the winning goal on teh penalty kill. guess not?

I haven't been able to see any complete games since Wednesday, just bits and pieces of them because of my senior week and graduation.

However, I plan on watching the Rangers and Capitals game later tonight, and from the replay of the Ovechkin hit, there's no way that is worth a suspension. I can't comment on the officiating that people seem to be upset with because I haven't seen the entire game yet, but that hit is not suspension worthy.

Not a suspension when you jump to contact the head of a player without the puck? Strange. Seems like I saw it suspended more than once this season.

After watching the replay again, I'm not sure if Ovechkin hits Giradi in the head before some shoulder contact. Ovechkin certainly left his feet, but I'm not sure if there was contact to the head on the initial contact.

I also think the league will say he was trying to make a play on the puck with his skate.........

After watching the replay again, I'm not sure if Ovechkin hits Giradi in the head before some shoulder contact. Ovechkin certainly left his feet, but I'm not sure if there was contact to the head on the initial contact.

The very initial impact was Ovechkin's elbow on Girardi's arm, because Girardi stuck his arm out to embrace the hit. The shoulder was definitely Ovechkin's intended strike point, and it first contacted Girardi's head.

Do you guys think there should be a shootout in the playoffs, or is the continuous OT setup better?

I am of the belief that there shouldn't be a shootout even in the regular season, so definitely no.

Do you guys think there should be a shootout in the playoffs, or is the continuous OT setup better?

No way.

I can honestly say that you would be lucky to find 1% of true hockey fans that would want a shoot-out in the playoffs. Sudden-death overtime is one of the aspects of the NHL that makes the playoffs so great. The intensity and feeling of watching an over-time game is unbelievable. Your heart is just beating 100 mph the entire time.

I don't mind shoot-outs in the regular season after the five minute over-time period THAT much because you don't want to have games going forever during the regular season.

However, during the playoffs, you do not want to see a five on five game for most of the game determined in something that amounts to a skills competition.

Some people will say shoot-outs are exciting and cool, but nothing is cooler than sudden-death over-time.

I am of the belief that there shouldn't be a shootout even in the regular season, so definitely no.

This. I still can't believe the Rangers/Flyers "win and in" game had to end in a skills competition two years ago. Brutal. Such an awesome game. Flyers deserved to win, seeing them go so deep in the playoffs.. But even some Flyers felt slighted.

No, absolutely not. OT setup is better, although a lot of times lucky goals win it, but that's hockey anyway.

A New Jersey-Phoenix final would be utterly hilarious.

I want to see the Capitals win.

Even though there isn't even a strong argument for it now, there will be no argument about who has had the better career so far between Ovechkin and Crosby if the Capitals win the Stanley Cup.

I think people are still sleeping on the Coyotes. The Kings have looked very good, but don't underestimate the Coyotes.

Rangers need this game tonight. I think it'd be very difficult to win back to back games down 3-2 again. Already had to do that versus Ottawa, gotta take care of home ice tonight!

I agree with Phig. I don't like shootouts in the regualar season. I say they make OT 10 minutes instead of 5 in the regular season, and then just say its a tie. 1 point given to each team.

I agree with Phig. I don't like shootouts in the regualar season. I say they make OT 10 minutes instead of 5 in the regular season, and then just say its a tie. 1 point given to each team.

Yeah overtime is such a waste during the season. Teams sit back and wait for the shootout half the time.

Wow and wow.

Are the playoffs this crazy every year? Because I've been missing out. Feels like the Devils and Rangers going into OT is now a tradition. Does the hate from a couple months ago still exist between the two teams?

Edited by #HelloBrooklyn

Well, then I think you just witnessed his second one.

He has to cover that up.

Him not covering the puck up didn't lead to the goal.

However, I agree it was a bad one. I have no idea why he turned his body to the side like that. If he would've just stayed in the same position, Richards doesn't have room to get that shot off. Instead, he makes himself very small by turning to the side and it gave Richards the room on the short side to get a shot off.

New York has had some real post luck in these games, though. In that 3OT game, Ovechkin's shot goes post and out. In this game, Richards' shot is literally less than an inch away from going post and out after Backstrom's breakaway hits the crossbar. It really is amazing how Washington could've won this series 4-1 if not for a matter of inches.

Not trying to take anything away from the Rangers.

Wow and wow.

Are the playoffs this crazy every year? Because I've been missing out. Feels like the Devils and Rangers going into OT is now a tradition. Does the hate from a couple months ago still exist between the two teams?

The playoffs are always crazy, but this year's first round was extremely crazy, and the two Eastern Conference match-ups this round have been great as well, especially the Rangers and Capitals series.

In the past four years, the Boston Bruins have played in ten playoff series. Out of those ten playoff series, they have played in SEVEN game 7's. That's a ridiculous amount of game 7's to be in, and they take a toll on you.

Some of them have been heart-breaking as well.

-The Bruins lost to the Canadiens in game 7 during the 2008 playoffs, in a pretty bad beating.

-The Bruins were the #1 seed in 2008-2009, and lost in a game 7 O.T. in the second round on a goal by Scott Walker, who probably should have been suspended for a sucker punch. That one stung really bad.

-The Bruins were up 3-0 in the series against the Flyers in the second round. The Flyers came back and won three games in a row to tie the series up. In the seventh game, the Bruins jumped out to a 3-0 lead................and managed to lose the game.

-Last year, the Bruins beat the Canadiens in game 7 O.T. (I was there), then beat the Lightning in game 7 two rounds later, and then finished off the Canucks in seven games in the Stanley Cup Finals.

-And, this year, the Bruins lost in O.T. during a game 7 after missing some chances.

That's just one teams recent experiences during the playoffs during the past five years. It just gets insane during the playoffs, and any team can really win.